kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 137 of 415
25 February 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Wow, there is so much here that I can't even read it all. Need to print to PDF!
1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4068 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 138 of 415
25 February 2014 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
expugnator wrote:
5.Chinese podcast - The lessons were boring a few levels ago but now they're totally appropriate.

Hello, maybe I missed the post where you explain that, but what podcast do you use for Chinese? BTW, that's one impressive list of material and activities!

Edited by lorinth on 25 February 2014 at 9:40am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 139 of 415
25 February 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hehe I hope I'm not repeating myself, kuji. You may try just skimming through it.

@lorinth: I'm just using Chinese Class, currently Elementary level.

--------------------
Today I was once again more concerned about the materials I'm using than about actual
learning. I think the learning is not going that bad, even for languages I had been
struggling at so far, such as Russian.

I didn't forget the English episode this time as I did yday. It was a nice break
after so much reading. I'm glad I managed to finish the French film Les 11
Commandements
as I found it too silly. On the other hand, I'm learning quite a bit
from the Russian film Связь. Now I feel tempted to keep watching films in
Russian. The same YT channel also has films in other languages with English subtitles
and I may get back to it in the upcoming years.

Duolingo German is going quite smoothly now, I seldom make more than 3 mistakes
that would force me to start over the lesson. It's also running smoothier even at my
old device. I will try to do the shorter chapters faster. As an example, I just
finished today's chapter with 4 lessons, but the next one also has 4, so maybe I can
also get done with it today.

Again with German: tomorrow I might finish L'allemand, which would be my third
Assimil! I see how things have evolved since my first attempt. Back then I would just
panic when I realized that being through 1 textbook wouldn't allow me to read in the
language. I had no idea about daily consistency, multiple-track, parallel reading. I
expected reading fluency to come automagically as it does with Romance languages, and
when it didn't I'd go frustrated. I'm glad I'm over it. Now I will try the intermediate
Assimils and see how it goes, though I'm optimistic as I'm going to have German
practice on Thursday.

Speaking of practice, I've also managed to schedule Georgian for tomorrow. I'll see how
it goes. I really hope I manage to actually speak something and have a conversation.

Like I mentioned yday, several resources are coming to an end and may not be replaced
by any counterparts. I may use these 'slots' for delving into native materials, both
reading and watching films. German and Russian on top. Two languages I thought I'd
never manage to read in.

Norwegian seems neglected. The book Beatles is still hard but I can get the gist
even if I don't translate anything. I have lots of words I meet often but still didn't
manage to dissociate their meanings fully. Most of these are dialog expletives. I
really need some active work or it will get completely eaten up by German.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 140 of 415
26 February 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
So I had the Georgian conversation. It didn't come out as expected, but I mustn't say I
am disappointed with myself. First of all, the sound quality wasn't that good. The
surrounds might have been quite noisy at the Georgian's place. I really can't follow a
conversation, so I asked him more than often to repeat and sometimes to write down. I
could express myself in an understandable way, though, and seldom had to look things
up. I think it would work out better now if it was just chatting. Anyway, that guy is
learning English so I think we can pratice conversation. He said my English is ok and
it would be helpful if we could practice. He suggested to prepare some sentences I'd
like to discuss and/or translate beforehand, and I agreed. We may talk again on Friday,
so I have to come up with something I need to work on the most.

TY Russian is approaching its end, but with the Carnival break that will mean mid
March. Today's lesson was on participles, which aren't much used nowadays.

And now I'm glad to say that I've finished L'Allemand! My first beginner's German
Assimil. Now I'm going to start an intermediate German book, I can't even believe that!
I'll write down my first impressions on La pratique de l'allemand. I plan to go through
both La pratique de l'allemand and Perfectionnement Allemand. Then I will resist doing
any further course such as Mission Europa or Wieso Nichts. Hmm, maybe I should really
do Markplatz or another businnes course. Any suggestions? Anyway, I want to be done
with the textbook stage for German and start enjoying the language the way I'm doing
with cousin Norwegian and neighbor French.

I was just wondering...I need to pay more attention while reading in Georgian. It's
time I do a more consistent comparison of Georgian and the original Portuguese text as
an actual parallel reading. Maybe I should pick some sentences and scrutinize them like
emk does with Egyptian. I have the original in my native language so I've got the
chance this time.

Today at the Russian film I was watching two clerks in a kiosk were talking among
themselves in Georgian!

No other big plans for the next days. My Chinese studies are a bit repetitive. Maybe I
should test myself somehow, either through Skyping or trying to write dialogues.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 141 of 415
26 February 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I know we've touched on this a few times already, but any new impressions on how the 3 German assimils
compare overall now that you've finished all of them?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 142 of 415
26 February 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I like them better than the 3 Russian, starting from the notes which are more
pertinent. Besides, 2nd and 3rd generstion books are more similar to each other, and
the 3rd generation one seems more consistent than its Russian counterpart, to the
extent that I would call it the best of them.

I have the impression that the 2nd and 3rd edition German Assimils were meant to
complement each other. One doesn't repeat the other in the themes, and the vocabulary
is also new. That's when skipping a second wave comes in handy: I don't miss a 2nd wave
because I did it through the other book. The first Assimil does lag behind. It is much
less "Assimil-like", which is also a flaw of the Russian ones. It focuses too much on
bringing up a word and inflecting it and deriving from it.

I was at an A2-ish level thanks to Deutsch Warum Nicht and half 1st generation Assimil,
half 2nd generation Assimil plus reading two Georgian grammar books in German, and now
after those 3 Assimils I'm at a B1 about to become able to read comfortably with a
dictionary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 143 of 415
27 February 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
It started out as if it would be an ordinary day, but it turned out to have plenty of emotions.

I woke at 20 to six again, and had this great German conversation. Not only I could talk more fluently as well as correctly (I am still impressed how I get word
order correctly at a normal speed talk). I also managed to give a good help on Portuguese, even though we almost missed the Portuguese shift again.

I still had to go to the gym, then go home and get ready for work (which includes preparing my own snacks for the afternoon). I also had to get to work earlier
because I have a non-language lecture in the evening. Before getting to work, I could get done with Memrise for today. I arrived a little later than planned, but I
still have some minutes of overtime left from the past weeks.

[rant]I don't want to rant that much, but I'm a bit concerned about practical usage, accessibility and learning possibility of active skills off-country. I'm still
a bit frustrated with both the previous Georgian Skype conversation and my Norwegian which only seems to get better at passive skills while I feel like I'm losing
the bit of axtive skills I've learned. In order to come up with a Norwegian word, I have to think of the German and the English words first to evaluate whether it
is a cognate or not. And this what for? The international active language is still English. As much as I benefit from having access to video and literature in those
foreign countries, for practical purposes I'd rather stick to a language that enables the highest quality of communication. Besides, it takes a lot of effort to
bring any non-Romance language to my English or French level. So often I try to come up with a Norwegian word I'm sure I've studied before but I just can't.[/rant]

Rants apart, I'm just glad with the little I've learned so far. Today's Norwegian was impressively comfortable. It's not German, I know that my German is better,
but yet I can understand the series with subtitles quite comfortably. The novel I'm L/Ring too turns out to be quite comfortable too. Sometimes it's better to
follow the familiar Norwegian story than the medieval French trilogy.

Now for German: I started La pratique de l'Allemand! I'm really glad I can try a somewhat intermediate book for German, after so many years. I am not very much
excited about moving back to books in the old layout with somewhat anacronic conversations and long, not so useful notes, but I'm glad I can take more German a day
now. Lessons are longer and yet I've decided I'm going to take 3 a day. Since it's 47 lessons, that means before April I'll be done with that book too. Then only
Perfectionnement Allemand will be left. First day was bettert than expected in the end. At first the lesson's size put me off. I even had to look up some words in
French (while it also turned out the actual German word was pretty much transparent). Then in the second lesson I was already adapted and the notes also were
shorter and didn't pop up that often. I believe I'm going to have a good time with this book and the younger brother.

TY Russian is also going to end sooner than expected. There are actually 38 lessons, plus a few reading excerpts which I think I can take more than 1 a day.
Currently at lesson 32. I have to decide for an upcoming book still in March. I'm really happy when it happens that I have to switch several materials at once. As
much as routine fits me, I also get a bit overwhelmed and bored sometimes.

Towards the end of the schedule, I decide to resume my quest for Georgian subtitles. I got some that wouldn't load here because they weren't unicoded and the
computer lacked the proper font. I have to remind myself of testing them at home and trying to convert them somehow.Due to the lack of dubbed movies in Georgian
which aren't voice over as well as of Georgian movies with English subtitles, I decided I will try my best to watch films in English (or French, which I got too)
with Georgian subtitles and learn as much as I can. In the end, I decided to watch the acclaimed film მანდარინები
(Tangerines)
. Audio in Russian and Estonian, subtitles in Georgian. I could follow the Russian audio and the Georgian subtitle pretty close and understand
both in the first scenes, which were rather basic. As for Estonian, I still haven't started so I won't make use of it as an Estonian resource. I do expect the book
to be good and to help me improve my understanding of conversational Georgian. When you learn a less common language, you always have to deal with the lack of the
totally adequate resource. It's so much different from learning German, Mandarin or Russian. Whenever I come across one of these resources (Assimil intermediate,
Chinese Class, Duolingo, Living Language) I can't help but sigh "If only such resource existed for Georgian!". Well, I'm learning Georgian nevertheless, against all
odds. I feel an improvement in my reading skills and now I'm having fun at reading. The day will come when I will have fun at watching it, too. I even paused
watching the series so that I can focus on this film intensively (that's the best to do when the resources are scarce, believe me) with no risk of Georgian audio
burnout a day.

I've scheduled a Georgian conversation for tomorrow. Haven't prepared anything beforehand, but I'll focus on coming up with things I'd like to say if I were there
and how to render these into Georgian. Even better to focus on subordinates, so I can get the hang of tense usage. That would work the other way round too, as the
Georgian I will talk to will also get to use more complex English sentences.

Now duolingo is still missing. It can wait though.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 144 of 415
27 February 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey teammate! Even though you're feeling frustrated with German and Norwegian, it looks like your overall progress
is incredible. Don't be too hard on yourself. Your self-discipline is an inspiration to all of us. :-)

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version