Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 145 of 415
28 February 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Auf jeden Regen folgt Sonnenschein. Or in Portuguese "Depois da tempestade vem a
bonança".

@Hekje, thank you team mate. I think I'm disappointed at most with the Georgian
subtitles not working/not being decoded. I was really counting on that to boost my
learning. I think my Norwegian will find its way back eventually.

So, today's Georgian class went much better. At first, because we decided to stick to
English. The sound quality is still not good but at least I can understand the English.
We also started writing down more often, and that's ok. We decided to work on
sentences: I come up with sentences that would call for specific troublesome idiomatic
or grammatical issues and I ask the Georgian partner to translate them, then we
discuss. The mere fact he is trying to explain something in English also represents a
good exercise for his English. I may even save parts of the conversation for further
studies. As a whole, I'm happy that I'm usually coming up with close translations for
the rather complex, subordinate clauses I give a try on. It would be terrific if I
found another Skype contact for daily conversation.

Speaking of phrases, I'm working systematically on Mandarinebi's ones. I have to type
them down, but that's still pretty effective. It starts as a war movie, so sentences
are not long, and they seem to just fit my needs for now. Call it intensive watching! I
pause and translate. Sometimes it's hard to see the subtitles in white but I'm finally
following the texts for a Georgian film in a consistent way. Too bad this may be the
last for a long while, but that's life. It just happened today when I noticed the
translation for Paulo Coelho's book got a bit loose and with longer sentences which I
can't always map up. I will monitor it next time. If sentences keep at low transparency
I'll have to scrutinize sentences.

The fact is, I can't waste either of these invaluable resources for Georgian (film and
book). When the resources are scarce, you have to use them intensively - this I
keeping telling myself.

Norwegian was cool again. I was thinking it would be a good idea to consistenly try to
write paragraphs and dialogues in Norwegian and in German, so that I can tell the
languages apart in my head. This is for when I manage to add active skills to my
routine, though. Who knows? A lot of repetitive tasks such as 1 Anki deck and Duolingo
will be gone before April.

I forgot to mention yesterday how much I enjoy the film Le Père Noël est une
ordure
. Yesterday I wasn't simply learning languages. I burst out laughing in the
middle of the room. It's a foreign language and yet it sounds so close humor to me. I
got hardcoded subtitles, which is not good for my studies, but they are abridged and I
manage to get the full spoken sentence likewise.

La pratique de l'Allemand's lessons were a bit more boring today, but I think I still
can take it. It was almost 4 lessons in a row, because the review came right after
lesson 6, but it wasn't numbered. Lesson 7 comes with a long dialogue as a normal
lesson.

I'm in search for new textbooks for Russian and Chinese. I don't know if I can already
take an intermediate Russian textbook. In the case of Chinese, I have a few options and
I'd be glad to learn some business - which reminds me there's this German Business
course at DW I can't miss. I've asked about the materials at the team threads.

Edited by Expugnator on 28 February 2014 at 9:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 146 of 415
06 March 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
So, Carnival is over and I'm back to the routine. I was away from partying but still
got to travel and so I haven't been studying normally for the past 3 days. I went to
Gramado, a town with German and Italian colonization. It was a really nice trip and I
may write about it at Team Exploradores' thread. I did a little Memrise and even less
Duolingo and I spent a few hours today cleaning up the forum's 200+ notification
emails. Serpent, was it you who said things would be much calmer after January? I don't
regret it, on the contrary =D

At a bookstore there I found a 2nd hand book von Otto Erich Hartlebens - Ausgewählte
Werke Teil II - Prosa. I flipped through it and it seems like easy German! The stories
seem simple, short, easy to understand. I didn't buy it because it would serve more as
an allergy trigger. I am going to look for ebooks for his works, but I'm just wondering
if the language there wouldn't be a bit dated.

I finished the Russian film Связь, and with this my short incursion into Russian native
materials. There's still a lot to progress at the textbook stage. Won't add any other
films by now. My next attempt will be at the reading side, with translation, naturally.

Not much new on Georgian. I'm reading the subtitles from Mandarinebi intensively, and
that's what I need. Other languages are just going with the flow, and maybe that means
I need some changes in the schedule for adding up more active tasks, for example:

A symptom of my progress in a language is when I start to mentally translate lyrics of
Brazilian lame songs into them. So, I guess I'm doing this for Norwegian and German as
a way to both practice each and split them into my mind.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 147 of 415
07 March 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
If there was ever a perfectly valid reason not to study, it is the Brazilian carnival!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 148 of 415
07 March 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
I hope that will boost my Georgian understanding. I wish I had more Georgian subtitles
to play with, but no sign, apart from those with bad encoding I can't find the fonts
for.

Speaking of subtitles, I might work with Ted. The problem is how to overcome the
audio/video block. I could download the official app but I can't do this at my former
device. So, I found that other app that claims to bring up 2 subtitles at a time. It's
cheap so if it's the only option available I may buy it. I will test the official app
soon, though.

Again on videos...I am currently at lesson 50 of Travel in Chinese. It's quite
appropriate, but there's that issue with the video that makes me miss the explanations
(while I do have access to the - almost always - full dialogue and notes at the first
part I find on YT). So, today I realized the video is back at CCTV site, at least from
lesson 50 on. The problem is - the player is totally disabled! I can only play and then
click to stop. No volume option, no jumping option. That means I can't jump to parts 2
or 3 and download the other parts either. So, I'll keep working with only the first
part of the video as I have been doing so far. I'll make sure next series will be fully
available on YT or to be downloaded at the site.

I've been talking mostly of technical issues. When I started my routine I couldn't
imagine there would be so many technical issues and that I'd have to spend that much
work on (sometimes partial) workarounds. That is part of a learner's routine that can't
be neglected. Another important issue is organizing materials beforehand. I may be
missing some interesting Russian or Chinese stuff because my folders and bookmarks
aren't that much organized. While it is terrible to spend so much time searching and
organizing material to never study - and I won't fall in that trap I had been standing
for years again - a compromise should be found so that you don't miss the resources
that work the best for you.

I resumed Duolingo. Really want to finish it in March. May replace it with my first
native German resource, even though I will still be working on Assimil. It will
probably be a translated book with English original. Well, officially the first one,
but technically not, as I've used one textbook and one grammar in German for Georgian.
Now I'm going to use a third one, Kurze Grammatik der Georgischen Sprache. I can't wait
to start it, so I can check my progress for both languages and compare it with the last
time I browsed it, over a year ago. I hope the German text is clear and the Georgian
concepts are familiar by now.

Since I had to pick up the Russian book at the post office, I got extra dead time on
the bus. After doing all the possible SRS and native reading-only tasks, I decided to
extensively read a few pages from the Norwegian Beatles in advance. I liked the
result so far. I could follow the story with no problem, and actually not stopping to
look words up helped me figure out some more syntactically complex periods i'd normally
have a hard time with. I read for about 3 pages (one track at one tape), then I resumed
listening/reading.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 149 of 415
07 March 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Expug, all I can say is- Wow! You keep making it happen, even through adversity. O que não nos mata, nos fortalece.

I don't know if you are aware but you can download an .srt file of subtitles for many US television series and movies. These files are very small, about 30-50kb. If you have the DVD or are watching the video in the VLC media player, you can drag and drop the srt file and get subs, though you'll have to experiment to find one that matches the time codes.

Another alternative is to open the file in another device and read along as you watch and listen or minimize the text file and the video and scroll through as you watch the video. You don't even need to watch the video at all. You can download the English or Portuguese subs and make your own bilingual text with the Georgian subs. Here's a link to opensubtitles.org list of Georgian subtitles. The advantage is that the language is conversational and the only cost is time.

Boa sorte!

Edited by iguanamon on 08 March 2014 at 2:29am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 150 of 415
08 March 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Due to a mispaste yesterday, I lost half of my post, including the part where I replied
to renaissancemedi about the Carnival. It is an important extended holiday (5 days)
even for those who won't party. This year I decided to travel and didn't party - well,
except for some minutes when a band with old people partying the Carnival passed
through the street where I was, it was really fun, they dressed with old Carnival
clothes and playing old songs. I went to Gramado, a town in Southern Brazil that was
colonized by Germans and Italians. I plan to write about it for Team Exploradores. It
really made me feel going to Germany, now that I improved the language.

So, I am willing to bring more consistency to my Russian studies, therefore I decided
to resume Russianpod. I couldn't do so yesyerday, due to the audio/video block (and
that's when the technical issues narration started). I have to resume at Beginner's
Season 2 lesson 14. Then there's Upper Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Intermediate,
Upper Intermediate, Advanced Audioblog 1, 2 and 3. You see there's enough to play
around for a long time. And it's another resource I can play on the background, for
busier times.

I got the Russian book which is a translation of a Brazilian one. Will start it
probably next month. I have to finish the previous one in the series, which I'm reading
in Portuguese. Reading a translation from Portuguese is being quite effective for
Georgian, Paulo Coelho's book. I'm starting to anticipate sentences, read longer in
Georgian before gazing at the original. I have another book from Paulo Coelho already.
At first I wouldn't use it because I couldn't find the Brazilian original, only English
and Spanish but now I don't really care, reading from him is working fine.

I'm also enjoying watching the film Mandarinebi with Georgian subtitles. I am noticing
how effective it is to work with them, and how my Georgian could be better now. This
film is ideal for that: a war context, people talking to unknown others with short
sentences and periods, mostly very common and useful sentences. It's really worth
working on the subs intensively. Pity that yday I got this issue with both the
subtitles and the audio desyncing from the video, so I had 3 instances to follow. By
the end of my daily 10-min excerpt, I was beginning to get used to the delay, but it's
still regretful, considering the situation with my Georgian resources. It's at YT, so
there's not much I can do to remedy this. There's another post there but it's the film
with subtitles in Estonian, I bet for the Russian dialogues, so that's totally missing
the point.

@iguanamon: those subtitles at OS are exactly the ones I can't decode, can't find the
proper font either. That is, don't even know if that's an encoding or a font issue or
both. I sent them to a Georgian but he couldn't either. That's frustrating, as I
couldn't find other subtitles elsewhere.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 151 of 415
10 March 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
So, the weekend. I only did a little Memrise and Duolingo. It was important to keep
with the Duolingo, as current chapters are bigger. I need to find an attitude of doing
Memrise and Duolingo on dead times on weekends, not restricting myself to one chapter a
day. That way, I anticipate some most troublesome excerpts. I'm mostly neglecting Anki,
as the only two remaining decks are over 20k and so it won't make much difference if I
skip the weekend. I may as well just delete the app all for once and do stuff only at
Memrise.

There was a Russian meeting in town on Saturday, but I couldn't make it. I had clases
that would end 1h30 after the meeting had started and it started raining before the
class was over. I also had a birthday party to go and it started raining. Anyway, I
hope I can make it next time - that is, I hope there is a 2nd time. I don't know any of
the organizers and I can't really speak any Russian. Don't know, Russian is still the
language I'm the least motivated for those extra activities. Maybe I can get more
practice at our TAC team's meetings. We had one this weekend and it was nice to talk to
Josquin and YnEoS. We still didn't get to actually having a conversation in Russian,
but it looked promising, and I hope there's more people next time!

One good news by the end of the weekend: I got the app TEDiSubs which allows me to play
TED talks with two subtitles at once. I checked it early in the morning today here and
it works, despite the block. That means I'll be able to do the same I was doing with
Mandarinebi: watch videos in other languages (in this case, English) while focusing on
the Georgian subtitles, and now much better, with subtitles in English, too. That's as
close as I can get for L/R in Georgian, and I'm happy about that! I may start it once
Mandarinebi is over.

At Georgian: a strucutural grammar, I decided to skip the long lists of verbs by
thematic suffix (Aronson's Present-Future Stem Formant). I think such lists are just
for reference, and I'll surely keep this in mind when I come across tricky verbs, as
they are very detailed. Hewitt's grammar focuses more on morphology and I want to know
more about usage, which I am going to read at further works.

I put a little more effort at 大耳朵图图. I'm zooming in YT videos for this one and for
Mandarinebi. I should have done it before, since the larger video size still isn't
enough for reading subtitles in a different script and I can't play it fullscreen for
adequacy reasons. Thus, I understood more from 图图 thanks to the subtitles but also
following close the audio. Today Tutu asked his dad about 幸福 (happiness), he wanted
his dad to give him some, he thought one could eat it. These episodes are really nice,
and I wish I could get several at once. Maybe I should try youku and d/l.

I'm more and more happy about French comedies, can't get enough. Still watching Le
père Noël est une ordure
, which ranks really high and, in terms of making me laugh,
it's simply the highest. Today I found one more gem granted by that multilingual
learning: at about 57 minutes, when the Père-Noël dressed thug gets back to his lair,
one can hear the soundtrack that sounds exactly like 'Get Lucky', from Daft Punk!! A
coincidence??! Knowing how electronic music works, I'd say probably not...The film is
from 1982, just for the record.

So, I resumed Russianpod and I'm happy about it. I want to keep working on further
levels, I hope this helps me get used to the sound of Russian as well as with the
colloquial language. Wish I could progress faster, but the lessons are longm both for
reading and for listening to.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 152 of 415
11 March 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I haven't started Estonian yet (probably April), but got ammo. I've just bought 'Am I
small? Kas ma olen väike?' which is is at an offer for just 0.86 US$ kindle versions
(the paperback costs over 9US$. It is really short, but at this price it will be
motivating to say I've read a book in Estonian. Meanhwile, I've put on hold my
consumption dreams such as Spoken World Croatian for another month.

It's unfortunate that I have more technical than pedagogical issues to report. I did
find the complete Tutu season at Youku, but can't save the videos: they are split into
parts, and I just didn't get them to combine properly. I'm really disappointed again
because I was expecting this cartoon would boost my comprehension, and now all I have
is excerpts at YT - the same issue as with Travel in Chinese: the person only manage to
transfer the first flv/mp4 excerpt that comprises the full video. Today was the highest
comprehension day at my Tutu's excerpt but I saw it end abruptly at the highest moment
of fun. I could decide to watch it at home, but I don't want to assign another task to
home. I'm usually tired and busy there. At 'Travel in Chinese', I couldn't even find
the short, 3 min 1out-of-3 excerpt of today's lesson, but I had a nice time with the
text alone.

Ty Russian is close to an end; it will take me the end of the month to be done with
Georgian: a structural reference grammar, A Georgian Reader, Beatles, Duolingo German
and La pratique de l'allemand. With so many books ending simultaneously, I hope I will
manage to replace them with better materials and that April will be a month of
accomplishments.

It was a good day overall for Georgian. I managed to find another copy of Mandarinebi
which is properly synced, though much smaller. We can't have everything. The dialogues
are being really useful. I sense I could follow the story without translating the
sentences I don't know, but I'd still have to pause nevertheless. I'm getting a better
overall comprehension of A Georgian Reader's text, not to mention Paulo Coelho's book.
I believe somewhere this year such Georgian translations will become transparent
without me noticing. I don't want high expectations, though.

This morning I watched the Papiamento video paying attention to it, and understood
nearly everything. It's nice to realize you can actually understand a foreign language.
The novel I'm reading is also coming to an end and I barely use the dictionary.

For a moment I thought of playing the audiobook first when reading the Norwegian book
'Beatles', but gave up in the middle. Today was a busier day and I was glad I have the
Russianpod to play in the background now as well as the Chinesepod, the French film and
my daily English TV series dosis, but this may not be enough. I also need more
extensive reading resources or any other reading that doesn't require an internet
connection. I'm going to have less typical days at which it will be harder to stick to
the schedule, namely at those activities that require two devices, internet connection,
online dictionary, audio etc., so I better get hold of more activities for some moments
that may suddenly turn into 'hidden' ones.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version