Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 337 of 415
15 October 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I realized that the Chinese sentences deck I had at Anki is actually the resource that fits best my current stage, in terms of difficulty. I did one session of Anki again last weekend after several weeks. I know it is necessary and I am also a bit impatient about Memrise which demands so much time, but I'm unable to reinsert Anki into my already so crowded schedule and I'm not sure pausing Memrise at this stage is the best thing to do either. I might just wait till I'm done with Chinesepod which will open a slot.

I finished all the tests for Norwegian from Goethe-Verlag. Now I'm doing Russian. The tests are indeed useful. I saw sharp improvement in my active Norwegian and I hope the same will happen to Russian.

Georgian reading is better than ever. I'm already considering which book will follow. Having two pds standing next to another works much better than having each language at one source (desktop and tablet). Same goes for Russian - Divergent seems quite interesting. If I don't manage to find it in Russian next I will have to read it in German. I'd also like to read Dan Brown and Douglas Adams, but can't find them in Georgian, so either Russian or German will do. Or maybe Italian, since I may go there.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 338 of 415
16 October 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
book2's tests are really working for Russian. I'm working with sentences at which I only miss one or 2 core words (not always the one being asked about, as it is rather random), and this means I'm moving at an intermediate stage. I can even anticipate some answers after reading the L1.

Basic Estonian is a dense textbook. I'm not absorbing as much as I used to do in the first 20 lessons, when I consolidated a lot of grammar. Now there are many declension charts, but even so I'm still learning a bit from each lesson and getting use to the Estonian sentence, which I think is the main asset to build on towards the intermediate stage.

I'm reading more and more paragraphs of German freely before resorting to L1 (which reminds me I forgot to watch my daily chapter of Deutsch Plus, but there's still time, fortunately). I expect German to get better than Norwegian at this speed.

Today I started watching Appelsinpiken but I didn't find the Norwegian subtitles, so I'm listening to the Norwegian more attentively and trying to understand mostly from that. I'm already internalizing much from the Russian series I watch with English subtitles-only.

At Chinese I'm afraid I'm with too many resources above my level, that is, that are mostly authentic native material. Fortunately, since I've started using Open for Business I realized the lessons are Chinesepod seem easier =D I need to resume my Anki deck, but that's not a priority because that's not something I enjoy. Even Memrise is a bit on hold, I'm not doing one full chapter each evening.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 339 of 415
21 October 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Oi, Expugnator. I got this today via Radio Sefarad on twitter: Leer y Escribir con Ana Frank. I clicked on otros idiomas and there are free pdf workbooks in Spanish (of course), Georgian, Papiamento and Russian, plus there's a video in Georgian as well. Pensei em você, claro. Espero que seja útil.

Edit: Of course, it's in English too.

Edited by iguanamon on 21 October 2014 at 8:22pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 340 of 415
25 October 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Thank you, iguanamon ! (And thanks for coming up with the English e dition too, that is important for
Georgian at least :D).

It is been an atypical week. I did half my schedule mon-tue and almost zero on Wednesday. It was a special
day anyway, for the first time I sang for an audience, at a concert by and for employees at work. It was great,
I was applauded and cheered. I sang Tempo Perdido by Legião Urbana, a song that means a lot to me and to
many people in their 20's-50's.

On Thursday and Friday I managed to study normally. Next week I will report on my progress, especially
Russian.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5041 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 341 of 415
25 October 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator, I'm happy to see you are still going at Mandarin! I just re-read my log and found talking to you was always a good help and inspiration. Best of luck my friend!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 342 of 415
26 October 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
You are truly impressive with your capability to study so consistently, and I am happy too see that you have
your award for it. Congratulations on your singing performance :-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 343 of 415
26 October 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Thank you guys! I have come to a point where there is no way back, and I'm happy for that!
I am not a case of success regarding Mandarin, but I like the language more and more and
I feel there is some accomplishment to that, when you start to understand the other, the different, to make
sense out of tones and finally get to see the human beings that speak and write that incomprehensible
language. I am doing stuff I like in Mandarin, watching two series that teach me a lot about the language and
its speakers (always one from CCTV and a Singaporean one, currently Happy Journey Across China and I'm
in Charge).

Life is about overcoming some fears that exist mostly in your mind, and when I realized I no longer had the
fear of stage, I knew that was the most important victory and the most important proof that I had changed.
That brings confidence and I need it for my language learning that is a process that demands patience and
perseverance to a high degree.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 344 of 415
27 October 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Finally I have a little more time for writing after a busy week. I haven't seen any sharp progresses in Norwegian. French is still good and Russian seems promising. I'm doing what is close to L-R in Russian, by using Russianpod, and I'm almost close to being able to listen and read both translations and understand all at once, without having to pause the video.

As for Chinese, I'm missing Memrise. I'm doing some few Anki sentences but I miss the audio. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping I can finish some Chinese resources that won't be replaced, so I can work more consistenly on the remaining ones. After I'm done with Chinesepod and with Tutu, I won't add another podcast or another cartoon, as I'm already watching two TV series with double subtitles and that helps with the L-R speed up. By the way, bilingual reading is working fine, I'm getting more and more from reading with Pera Pera.

Estonian looks promising too. I'm close to finishing Tuldava's textbook and then it will be time for practicing sentences and short texts. Today's lesson was heavily on morphology, which isn't that fun, but at least I have an idea of how it works and that will help when I get to native materials.

Georgian reading is progressing slowly. I'm reading Jules Verne and I hope the upcoming book is even easier. I browsed througg lit.ge's list of translated works and there is easy contemporary stuff. Btw, I found КУХНЯ dubbed in Georgian. Maybe it'sthe way to go...Listen to it in Georgian and check the transcripts in Russian/translated to English. Where are the transcripts again?

Papiamento is consolidated. When I finish my novel, I won't read much, except for the occasional news item, as there is not much else available out there.

I'm going to start season 2 for Hjem. There are hard-coded Swedish subtitles which help me understand the Norwegian one. I won't bother searching for the Norwegian ones, if any, and try to become less and less dependent. As fot reading a novel, I have monments of full understanding followed by sequences of unknown words, byt I can still follow the story comfortably. Next time I may try non-fiction and I believe my comprehension will be actually higher.

German is seeing some improvement too. I still don't know if my passive skills are already better than my Norwegian ones, but that is a trend since there's more out there for German, more stuff I'd like to read regardless the language.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version