Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 177 of 415
03 April 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Now, back to daily life! The day was special enough (and there is more to come after
work), but there was still so much time for the normal studies.

Jeg er ferdig med å lese Beatles Jeg må innrømme at jeg er litt lei av lydbøker.
Min neste bok skal ha bare tekst. Det heter 'En annen tid, et annet liv' og det er
faktisk en oversettelse fra svensk, men det er ingen problem. I dag har jeg fortsett å
se på 'Hjem' med undertekster på svensk, og jeg er glad at jeg kunne forstå mye fra den
norske tale, uten å se på undertekster. Jeg har også blitt vant til den svenske
undertekster som jeg bruker av og til. Noen ganger forstår jeg enten den norske audio
eller den svenske tekst, men det bli bedre med tid.

Je crois que je me suis de nouveau habitué au Français parlé dans les films.
Aujourd'hui j'ai réussi a entendre des argots comme 'fringues', bagnoles, 'flics', Ce
qui me rend heureux dans mes études de Français c'est que j'ai réussi à apprendre un
peu sur plusieurs registres de la langue.

As for Georgian and Russian, I'm really happy about my current resources. I am learning
such a conversational Georgian from Culture Talk which I didn't have in any other
textbooks, and I'm starting to see the same words there and in the other resources (the
book Na margem do Rio Piedra... and the TED dialogues). I just realized I have to speed
up with Kurze Grammatike der Georgische Sprachen, or else it will take me over 5 months
to complete it! I am struggling with the German, actually, as the explanations on
Georgian are still introductory. So, I believe that when I finish Perfectionnement
Allemand I'll be able to tackle with more German text at once. The way it is today, If
I read too much from Kurze Grammatik I will go for Perfectionnement Allemand already
mentally exhausted with German.

I'm having nearly interemediate Russian from Russianpod while I'm consolidating the
basics from Russe 90. This time I am really writing down the exercises from Russe 90,
and I hope now my Russian is being activated and I'm becoming familiarized with the
declensions. I don't really want to progress now until I've mastered this.

My Chinese Breeze book is kinda transparent. I don't even have to look anything up.
Maybe it means I know more than 300 Chinese characters, after all.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 178 of 415
05 April 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm reporting on a Saturday, which isn't usual, but today I got the time I didn't have
yesterday.

I don't remember exactly what I was supposed to report yesterday but I believe there
were some important issues to deal with.

'Hjem' is complete now, that is, the first season. I may not feel attached enough to
the story to get a second season, but I'm glad I'm understanding more and more from it.
I did have a desperate moment with Norwegian when I started reading the book 'En annen
tid, et annet liv' and realized I had to look up every other word. I looked up lots of
words and would often loose track when I went back to the text. That's what happens
when you read material way above your level, and that's why I prefer to stick to
translations as far much I am comfortable. Even so, I had just finished the book
'Beatles' and I thought I was ready to read extensively in Norwegian, so, at that very
moment I felt devastated. I could only read 2 pages back then.

But time is always teaching us lessons, and this time the lesson came quickly. After I
was done with everything, I went to the book again and opened it just to stare at it
and realize that at the pace of 2 pages a day it would take me 1 year to go through it
(considering 200 study days in a year). But then I decided to take a second look at the
text and decided that if I went further I'd be able to follow the story. So, it was
actually looking up every word that was jeopardizing my understanding. Now I decided to
stick to plan as in 'Beatles': to look up mostly the essential words and to stop
looking up and going for full sentences instead when it gets too confusing. I have to
keep myself committed to 10 pages a day because the Super Challenge is coming and I'm
aiming for a half challenge at Norwegian.

Back to the series, I will keep searching for more but I won't worry that much. There's
always Ylvis as a rather long source. Besides, I think I've reached a level at which
it's ok to just watch 10 minutes of a movie a day, as I do with French. That would have
the advantage of giving me 10 minutes to use with German. I'll think about it, there's
enough time.

I will try to read 'Perfectionnement Allemand's' notes in advance this weekend, so that
I can focus on the lessons more comfortably next week. I will be done with this course
probably in two weeks, then I will decide whether I'm going for native material or for
an advanced course from Deutsche Welle. I'm not having an easy time with Kurze
Grammatik der Georgische Sprachen, and sometimes I skip some sentences without having
understood everything, but it's also because the Georgian content itself isn't
relevant. What I will learn the most from this book is syntax, based on the good sample
sentences it brings upon.

'Culture Talk' is getting better each day. I can't wait to get to a better level at
another less common language so that I can use its resources :-) For greater languages
there's just so much out there that I'd stick with TV and movies with subtitles,
anyway. Not the case of Georgian. Btw, I think i'm starting to consolidate a second
layer of intermediate vocabulary, thanks to the synergy among all three resources. If
this happens later this year, I'll have an important goal accomplished.

I need to get hold of more Chinese audiobooks, preferably without pinyin but with
translation. It works just so well and I'm also at a better level. Reading Chinese does
feel like cracking a code. Only my spoken Chinese is non-existent yet. Btw, a friend
suggested the cartoon 蜡笔小新 which is translated from Japanese but seems quite
interesting. I have so much I want to watch and read for Chinese, that I wish I had
more time for it!

Working on Memrise HSK3. I decided I will skip the pinyin chapters when the characters
are only a review from HSK1&2. I won't water any of the chapters that contain only
review either. That way, I'll have a more calm agenda and focus on actually learning
new characters that will bring me further, as I'd been spending a lot of time just
tapping mechanically on characters I'm already familiar with.

Russian is already the language of the year. I finally managed to reach a level at
which I start to enjoy it. Can't wait to take more native materials either. OTOH, I
just decided to do only 1 lesson a day from Russe 90 and really manage to focus,
instead of doing the first lesson in a rush in order to save time for the 2nd. That
means it will take me around three months to finish the book, almost as much as an
Assimil, but it doesn't matter, because I believe I'm doing the right thing this time.
Besides, I'm still learning new stuff from Russianpod, and I'm actually enjoying it
quite a lot. So, it's like I'm both reviewing and moving on, which is great.
4 persons have voted this message useful

glauco
Bilingual Triglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3682 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese*, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 179 of 415
06 April 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator,

How is it going, I am reading your topics and sounds really amazing your experiences
and insights, well in other forum I heard your name and some comments make me curious.
They mentioned that: Expugnator is a Master of safe time....

What are the techniques to speed up languages studies and safe time?

I was Studying in the united states Tongan, English and Spanish at the same time that
was one amazing experience of my live a did try not spend time will a fool sacrifice of
time and methods instead i Did develop my personal method to learn languages.

Best Regards

Muito Obrigado de verdade...
Abraços

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 180 of 415
07 April 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the kind words, glauco. I don't know what you have heard exactly, but I'm
not really fast at learning languages: I study a bit from each of them each day because
that's the amount I manage to take. What I write about is how to use the time of a day
to learn more effectively.

Ou seja, eu não aprendo rápido, pelo contrário, meu progresso é lento, porque só dou
conta de estudar um pouco de cada língua por vez. Mas o que o pessoal comenta é que eu
consigo fazer bastante coisa num dia só, e é isso que vou tentar explicar.

I try to work on tasks that don't take much long, 15-20 minutes is ok. So, if I'm going
to study Chinese, I study 15 minutes from a textbook, then watch TV for another 15
minutes, then listen to a podcast for another 15 minutes, then I read for another 15
minutes. I also alternate between languages, that is, I don't do everything Chinese at
once, I do one activity for Chinese, then another one for Russian, then French etc.

You should also be sure you have different types of activities according to your
availability. Not all activities require me to have a computer with internet and
earphones. For example, if I have an appointment at the doctor, I leave the reading
activity to be done while I'm waiting. On the other hand, if I am working on a
repetitive task I plug in my earphones and listen to podcasts on Chinese and Russian.
There are repetition/flashcard softwares such as Anki and Memrise which I leave for
whenever there is a break and I can't start/dedicate fully to another activity.

At least for myself, when you alternate, you can do much more. I know that I lose focus
after 20 minutes of reading, so why try to read 100 pages at once? I'd rather read for
20 minutes then do some listening (also to give my eyes a break) then maybe watch a
movie or try to write a paragraph. That why I can always keep myself entertained.

It's also wise to have 'extra' activities in case you do have extra time. This happens
rather often. So, when I have more time for Chinese, I don't waste time thinking about
what to do: I go straight for the TV series I like to watch in such cases.

Feel free to ask any further questions. Good luck in the US!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 181 of 415
07 April 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
The weekend

It was rather intense in terms of reading and stuff. The weather is shifting and so I
might have caught up a little cold and a sore throat. Today I am more tired than usual,
but still managed to accomplish my daily schedule.

During the weekend, I focused mostly on reading the notes from Assimil Perfectionnement
Allemand in advance, as I mentioned here before. What I did this weekend was read all
the notes plus review lessons from lesson 32 to 49 - enough to finish this week. Next
weekend I'll try to do the remaining ones up to lesson 56. Lesson 49 was actually the
final reviewing lesson, which means all that is left are the notes from lesson 50 to
56. Reading those notes beforehand was quite good to prepare my spirit for today's
German studies. I managed to read a bit longer at Kurze Grammatik der Georgischen
Sprache (dorenavant KGGS) without risking to be Germansick. I then studied the Assimil
lessons from Perfectionnement German and did the exercises, only skipping the dreadful
notes which I went through the day before. I believe I'm not missing important stuff
for my current level, but I hope when I reach the same intricacies later I'll be able
to recall those from my subsconscious - saw that happen before. When the resource
you're using wants to teach unuseful stuff at your stage, you can choose to go for it
only at the intensity you feel you need - and that's what I usually do.

Still on the weekend, I also did some lyricstraining in Italian and French. This has
turned into a good pastime when I've just read enough. I did keep up with Anki, Memrise
and Tuttle Flashcards, but no text or voicechat.

Today I got up a bit later, waited till I was feeling better, so when I came back from
the gym I still had Memrise to do and I had to watch Tutu while having brunch. I missed
more than I usually do, but it was still useful. When I run out of Tutu I want to keep
working on cartoons of humans in daily life, not of sheep or fairies or dragons or
zords. That is always my choice, to go for the daily life story instead of the fantasy.
That way immersion seems to work better, at least for me. I can worry less about the
plot and focus on using this form of art to understand how a given culture - be it the
French, the Georgians, the Chinese - view themselves and the world- what it means to
them to be modern or conservative/traditional.

I'm having quite an amount of Russian daily - 10 pages of Russianpod's lessons plus 1
lesson from Russe 90 which I'm studying almost intensively, that is, as much close to
intensive as my learning style can get. If I notice I'm learning cases satisfactorily,
I may feel encouraged to try activating some Russian knowledge. I plan to start
parallel reading in a couple of months.

Today I became fully aware that the alarm on Norwegian was exaggerated. I can still
read Norwegian extensively and follow the plot. Not I'm more familiar with the
ambassade issues at the novel I'm reading now. I realized one more technical feature:
since the book is an epub, I can just copy/paste it at GT and look at the English
translation when necessary. I'm doing it when I really lose track or want to know a
specific word. More efficient than looking up individual words.

I finished the French film "Tais-toi". I liked the comedy and I liked the use I made of
it. Towards the second half I was understanding quite enough. So, I think I just need
more practice in order to become familiar with the words and contexts at such films.
Tomorrow I'm starting a new one, a drama, which means I need to renew my comedies
stock.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 182 of 415
08 April 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
A busy day but nonetheless I could do a lot. Only that I think my study routine wasn't
that much intense: no new materials started, no 'insights'.

When you are at earlier stages, it is hard to study a language for a long time. I used
to study Chinese from two textbooks, a total of 30-45'. I couldn't take any texts, even
translated, or TV series, even with subtitles. Now I'm actually eager to do more. It's
not always possible, but when it is, that makes me happy. I either read a short text or
watch TV for a couple of minutes.

There's also the other side: with languages such as French and Norwegian, I did longer
video sessions in the first year (or semester, don't remember) and now I think the
amount I'm learning daily doesn't account for watching longer: I can watch videos for
only 10 minutes and still make progress (and have fun). As for reading, it's the
opposite: I want to be able to improve my Norwegian reading so I can read longer each
day, at least 10 pages. Now I can do 10 pages rather extensively. OTOH, I read 20 pages
in French and I find it to be boring and tiresome to stop in the middle of the
afternoon and focus on reading for that long, especially when the content itself
doesn't help much.

So, the thing is: I'd like to do even more for Chinese (and I think I'm ok with
Georgian, but I'm reading less in Chinese than in Georgian).

What I'd like to do:

- Watch at least 10 minutes more of Chinese series or cartoons (I'm really enjoying it)
- Start watching videos in German
- Start parallel reading in German
- Start parallel reading in Russian

Following on the rant of the previous days, I believe I'm slowly getting used to
chatting more in my target languages. Only voicechat has been neglected as I've indeed
been busier. I will try to gain more confidence through text-chatting in Mandarin.
After all, people are always busy at the voicechat while there are many people at the
text chat.

On a side note, I read 4 pages from KGGS extensively while waiting. I could understand
the explanations and only missed a few examples, that is, words I didn't understand in
either Georgian or German. The topic was word formation. I also read 6 pages
extensively from the Norwegian novel, wasn't that bad. I finished the reading with the
help of the translation from GT, just to make sure I'd keep track. Yet it seems to be
getting easier. Once the abstract nouns from politics, public administration, police
become familiar, it's much easier to follow the story than at the case of the novel
Beatles, which had a lot of slang.

One issue that is causing me some trouble are long sentences in either Chinese or
German or Georgian. I still believe sometimes I could manage to decode the sentence,
had I persevered and tried again. I have trouble specifically at TED-Talk subtitles
(Georgian), Travel in Chinese and the Norwegian novel I'm reading (En annen tid, et
annet liv). Well, I'll try to get it down little by little: working intensively on each
long period that turns up would lead to burnout. I'll keep some more obscure - or more
interesting - and focus on them for a while. In the case of Chinese, I lack some
grammar, because there are some characters that seem to be "extra" when compared to the
translation, and I guess they cover specific nuances such as aspect or even politeness.

I'm confident. It's not even three months that I started the current set of materials
and I'm seeing good progress, namely from Travel in Chinese, Russianpod, Culture Talk:
Georgian and TEDiSubs with Georgian. I wish I could say the same from native-language
only materials such as Tutu or the Norwegian series Hjem, but so far my listening
progress has been more noticeable only in French: what was good is getting better,
while the other languages are still lagging behind in terms of listening comprehension.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 183 of 415
09 April 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Morning
I've started a new routine since yesterday: I've started listening to the Chinese
podcast while still at home, having brunch, getting ready to work. I could even pay a a
bit more attention than usual. I should just make sure not to go further from the
stereo, because the sound quality isn't that good, since I'm used to listening through
earphones. All in all, that means I'm a bit more organized in the morning, even if I'm
still not making it to Skype or Sharedtalk. Still not much luck at text-chatting in
Chinese...it seems hard to find people to talk to and hard to start chatting.

I had a better time at watching Tutu. I did it after Memrise and I could focus entirely
on it. That's the way to go, I believe. The episode was about Tutu learning to
appreciate his dad's abilities when compared to other children's fathers.

Culture Talk
With the advance from the morning and no significant interruptions, I managed to finish
my schedule after only 5 hours. That leaves me 4 hours for some pending tasks I need to
accomplish - and I also expect to watch a bit more of Chinese. I am enjoying Culture
Talk a lot - it only opens weirdly at OpenOffice, the characters get crutched in a way
I can add spaces between them till they stay at normal space, but when I paste the
Georgian text at GT it is normal. So, when this issue happens, I copy/paste the text at
GT and mix Georgian and English, so I can follow through the accurate translation from
Culture Talk and avoid looking at the automated one from GT. So far, the material is
working really well for me. They're giving a sense of coloquialism I wouldn't find on
textbooks, on a TV series or a film with a script or on a resource like GLOSS (which
doesn't exist for Georgian, anyway).

Norwegian novel
The Norwegian novel is still hard to find. New characters keep being introduced, and
there aren't many dialogues. It still sounds like a university paper about violence.
Long paragraphs that are more opinative than even descriptive. I do lose track from one
day to another, it seems to be unrelated. Now I start to become aware of some
characters, and I hope I can follow a linear plot.

Michael Ende
I used to like watching The NeverEnding Story. Thanks to Assimil's
Perfectionnement, I found out the author of the novels, Michael Ende, is German,
and that there are other books such as Momo, which seem inspiring. One more
incentive for me to go for German reading - I have as much good stuff I want to read in
German as the ones I want to watch in Chinese - materials I'd be interested at even
apart from language-learning. I think that's the way to go.

Georgian again
I'm getting more comfortable with reading KGGS in German, despite having to translate
obscure words. Believe it or not, it does happen more often that I know the Georgian
word and not the German one - in this case I don't need to translate, of course. I'm
going through a sequence of longer TEDs, over 15 minutes, so I don't always bother to
pause and follow subtitles in Portuguese and Georgian. I do it better with shorter
videos. It doesn't mean the videos aren't being useful - on the contrary. When the
sentences aren't that long, I can more or less keep track of the content while
comparatively hearing the English and looking at the Georgian and the Brazilian
Portuguese subtitles. It helps that now I have a better command of spoken English, that
is, I can process it closer to real-time, and so I can really make it work like an
inverted L-R exercise. And since I do the 'normal' L-R exercise from Culture Talk, I
think my Georgian routine is being productive.

Perhaps it's time to resume writing short paragraphs.

Edited by Expugnator on 09 April 2014 at 8:47pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 184 of 415
10 April 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I will have to start my update from yesterday, that is, after my previous post. I
managed to finish watching my first episode of 后厨, but something worried me. I
was following the final soundtrack with subtitles, and when the characters displayed
looked like 喜欢, I didn't actually here 喜欢 when expected. I have no (big) reasons to
believe it's not mandarin, but it might be a non-standard dialect though, there is, no
Beijing dialect. I tried to google for some info, but no luck so far. If anyone is
curoius about the series, you can look v=zD7NN1zom7s">here and scroll to the final two minutes to check the final song.

Today wasn't a busy day but I decided to go slower. I spent some time trying to solve
some issues with my trip to Buenos Aires (which is likely to be cancelled). I also lost
some time with Ted videos which weren't loading, thanks to the rather instable
connection. I figured I'd try to copy the transcrips and make the parallel texts on my
own, even though that means I won't be able to watch the video, only audio (as I'll be
reading the transcripts in an OpenOffice document while the video will be played at
YT). Today it wasn't necessary, fortunately. I went for another task and, when I
returned, the videos were already getting loaded well at the Ted app at my device.

I gave an iTalki/Skype class in the morning, from 6 to 7 am. That caused a little bit
of delay, but I managed to make up for it. As a result, I could watch Tutu and,
although it seemed harder than yday, I could still focus. I also remained logged at
Sharedtalk but nothing happened. It seems the people at the voicechat are always paired
, busy in conversations between themselves, and there's only one person available at
once which usually isn't a Chinese. As for chatting, I didn't find any Chinese people
who are studying Portuguese and no one contacted me. Next time I will start contacting
people who are learning English or even Spanish or French randomly.

Working with KGGS is still being too boring. I'm at a chapter about suffixes and I'm
mostly translating a wordlist from German. It's almost like doing SRS. I will stay at
this pace for two more days - who knows, maybe if I'm advanced tomorrow I can do 8
pages in a row. On the other hand, I start fo feel there is an important synergy
going on
among Culture Talk, the bilingual reading of Paulo Coelho's book (just got
a new one in Georgian, btw) and the TED Talk. The Culture Talk dialogues are making the
language awfully familiar, and now I start to make sense of the sentences on my own -
that is, I have few words enough to be able to look up the first one in the sentence
and still figure out the whole sentence. That looks promising, and even more so because
it is also happening with the TED Talk dialogues! I'd really recommend the Culture Talk
+ TED Talk combo for a post-textbook stage. You get informal and formal registers,
daily conversation and academic/scientific/non-fictional language at once. Adn this for
Georgian, a language who has been so short in terms of resources and which possesses a
grammar that does bring up some trouble.

I will start Indonesian, maybe next year, and I already have an idea of a path for it,
and it will involve much less textbooks than for my previous languages: it will go like
this: A beginner's textbook -> Assimil/Indonesianpod -> Culture Talk/Ted Talk.
Now, TED Talk has the same issue with resources such as book2: you do risk running out
of new content for your new language. There are enough translations even for Georgian
which is a less-common language, but as you start to make it a main resource for major
languages you will have to search harder for dialogues you haven't started yet, or at
least to keep track of them. I really dislike having to search for resources on the go,
and this is one of the reasons I avoid watching cartoons, for example, which are at YT
but not numbered for season and episode (or even a self-made number is ok). In the case
of TED, I can always go for 'date de parution', as I'm doing with Georgian, but I'll
have to intertwine some languages occasionally, let's say, I decide to watch a dialogue
from March 2012 with subtitles in French, then I go for Russian and have to pick
another, close to it, I'll have to make sure I'm not repeating it - or worse - not
risking skipping a good talk due to this fear of repetition.

I'm not saying all this out of a purpose. I've learned the hard way that a good
resource management concurs to a good time management and a good productivity
. I
keep a small phonebook/diary next to me where I write down not what I've done today,
but what I'm going to do the next day. So, the next day I read those notes and I know
exactly where to start: I know that I'm going to do lesson 40 at the Elementary level
of the podcast; I know that I paused the book at page 21 and the audio track at 00:38;
that French film I watch roughly 10 minutes a day is now at 32:20. That saves up a lot
of time when one is doing over 20 activities, even if not all activities are noted down
now (yeah, having all those 20+ activities 'to do' would be a bit scary and make the
task seem harder than it is - i do focus on the essential; for example, the epub books
I read just keep bookmarked by themselves).

Speaking of the French film, today it's 'De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté'. At one
scene, a Chinese guy wants to find a piano teacher to the main character; they get to
the teacher's apartment and the Chinese guy and his Chinese friend start to talk in
Chinese - and I could follow most of it! It didn't sound like a blur in my
French comprehensio, it rather sounded like I was just code-switiching ! One thing: the
video has hardcoded English subtitles for the French, but the Chinese got no subtitles.
The Chinese guy only reports to the French what her pianist Chinese friend said, in a
loose way. If I decided to pause and focus, I'd probably be able to understand and even
transcribe most of these dialogues.

I'm a little caught up by the Norwegian series Hjem now, though I don't think my
comprehension has increased comprehensively. I don't know, my next series isn't likely
to have subtitles and I don't know if I'm ready for that, even after over one year of
watching series over 20 minutes a day. I still don't have reading fluency, anyway.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version