Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 321 of 415
19 September 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Hi, you should not beat yourself up about not learning faster than in a classroom situation. I think normally we
should count double the time if we just study on our own, so if you have nearly the same speed as in a
classroom situation, you are doing amazing! Plus you are doing many languages at the time.

I have spent many years on just getting one single language up to a shaky B1, so you should be really
pleased with yourself :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 322 of 415
21 September 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
I don't know if these are helpful, because they don't have English subtitles, but here are some short Georgian cartoons on youtube.

მტრობა მულტფილმი mtroba 1959
ჩხიკვთა ქორწილი chxikvta qorcili [1961">
წუნა და წრუწუნა cuna da crucuna 1961
jadosnuri kvercxi [1974">
ranina [1974">
ისევ გველეშაპსა და მზეჭაბუკზე isev gveleshapsa da mzechabukze [1976">
uxeiro datunia 1978
ტყის კვარტეტი მულტფილმი tkis kvarteti 1984
sizmara სიზმარა 1986 წელი
mzletamzle 1991
საფრთხობელები safrtxobelebi (1996)
qveknis masheneblebi 1997
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 323 of 415
21 September 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Well, at least I become more and more conscious of what i've been doing wrong. At one
point I thought only skimming through textbooks and then novels would bring me to
fluency, but the result was a 2014 mostly stagnated, except for the languages I did
use intensive activities for, which are German, Russian and Estonian.

I believe 'fun' is important, but I need a high level of comprehension in order to
have fun. Why? Because that means I will have to stop less often when I really want to
understand a thing, and will be able to to feel the story a little more.

Finding 'fun' stuff isn't a simple task, especially when you're studying 8 languages
at once. I am finding a compromise between what I want to read/watch and my language
needs. Therefore, I might say I am having a lot of fun overall with my studies,
because I'm reading a lot of books I'd be reading in Portuguese or English if I
weren't studying languages, and I'm watching lots of nice films and TV series. It's
not possible to have fun with everything all the time, of course. So, sometimes I'm
reading a German novel I like but watching a Russian series I don't find much
interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 324 of 415
22 September 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Thank you YnEoS. Ideally the subtitles should be in Georgian, but that is still a rarity,
as you may know from other threads =D Right now my comprehension is still low, but I will
keep checking this list for further attempts.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 325 of 415
22 September 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
So, after one week Chinese videos are working again. I watched one episode of Tutu yesterday and another one today. Might finish these soon, and then I won't watch any more cartoons in a regular basis;. Maybe I will just browse the sites and watch something when I feel like.

So, the Weekend has been a bit productive, thanks to Side om Side, the Norwegian series I'm enjoying a lot (thank you daegga). I read 1 page from Russian then in Portuguese, still painful.

I'm doing production exercises from the "Grammar". It is far from being grammar after all. These exercises deal mostly with active skills. This Grammar series is a real must.

I'm about to finish my current Georgian novel, maybe next week. Then I hope I can find something that is both interesting and easy. I didn't see much for teenagers at the e-bookstore I buy from, it's either for children or for adults. I will take a detailed look at the original book before I decide to go for the Georgian translation, so I don't regret my decision later.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 326 of 415
24 September 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Today as I was studying from Tuldava's textbook it ocurred to me that one example in Estonian is similar to what I saw in Georgian. I forgot the exact linguistic term, but it's a situation in which you can't interparse a subjective subordinate clause within another one.

"Who {do you think} will win"?

The question is simply "Who will win?", but we insert "do you think". It can't be done in Georgian, and from what I saw today, neither can it in Estonia:

როგორ ფიქრობ, ვინ მოიგებს?
(As you think/how do you think, who will win?)

Mis sa arvad, kes tuleb esimesele kohale?
(literally: what do you think, who takes the first place?)

Assimil PErfectionnement Russe has nothing 'innovative', doesn't remind me much of the other Using {Language} either. It's too early to say, I'm at 4, but no themed, extensive lessons so far. IT's practically a second tome to 'Le Russe'. The same witty dialogues, not much new or better not much vocabular taught in a sistematic way. Not bad, because my Russian isn't ready for a 'Using Russian' that would be similar to 'Using French' or 'Using German', but keeps me wondering why.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 327 of 415
25 September 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Just missed a long post. I usually leave the notepad open till I make sure the post had been published, but I deliberatedly closed it this time. Then I got the database error, and when I prsed the 'back' button at Firefox nothing was there. Not at my clipboard either. Anyway, I am a bit more optimistic about Norwegian, Georgian and French, and I'm enjoying Estonian a lot, I'm starting to get familiarized with the cases and why postpositions also get declined.

I wrote how important it is to listen focusedly and attentively when all you have as subtitles is L1, not L2. It is the case now with Russian, Norwegian and German. I have to both associate the acoustical image of what is said in L2 with its meaning in L1 AND follow the story. Fortunately, for Norwegian it has become easy. And I'm also watching Side om Side with Norwegian subtitles-only. All in all, I'm pretty much confident about my Norwegian and I defintely should write more.

As for Russian, I'm still skeptical. The soap-opera I'm wathing is boring. Now I'm going to start reding Divergent, I hope at least this one will be motivating. I'm not seeing an improvement in vocabulary as in a few days ago. Assimil doesn't teach me many new words, but this might be due to my seeing old words again, and now I'm finally starting to memorize them. We'll see in the next weeks. I'm not exactly short og resources for Russian and i'm using them.

Same goes for Chinese . SRS is still my most effective source of learning new words, though at least the Singaporea series with double subtitles are easier to focus at.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 328 of 415
29 September 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Not much time to write right now. Most important, I got my purchases, Spoken World Croatian and a Georgian textbook for Russians. Started new resources, such as 20 lieues sous les mers in Georgian (unfortunately the Georgian version is abridged, which has been pretty much confusing) and Divergent in Russian. Also started Open for Business for Chinese, and I liked it a lot.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version