Expug’s All at On(c)e Log - TAC14

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
415 messages over 52 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 51 52 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 185 of 415
11 April 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Yay Indonesian!! I'm hoping I'll be able to start Indonesian next year as well, though that's semi dependent on me reaching an intermediate level on Cantonese first, and who knows how long that's going to end up taking.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 186 of 415
11 April 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm kind of wanderlusting for Indonesian, and not only I'm quite interested in the
language (or else I wouldn't have listed it), but I'm also excited that it has all of
the resources I'm ranking the as most valuable (it only really lacks Lyricstraining
:D). The 2015 forecast (late 2015 actually) is quite realistic, though, as I have to do
Estonian A1-B1, then Turkish A1-B1, then Italian B1-B2 and only then I will go for
Indonesian (that is, unless I reach B1 in either Chinese on Russian before 2015, which
is less likely to happen, though...hmmm, not quite so in the case of Russian, let's
hope).

=============================================
No way better to start the weekend than with good news! I managed to have a
conversation in Chinese today, at Sharedtalk. I talked to a Chinese guy in Chinese and
in English. My greatest difficulty was to understand non-obvious sentences, like when
he asked about the capital of Brazil. I could still say the city I live is the third
largest in Brazil and that Brasília isn't the largest one and quite a few more
sentences. Once again, I noticed that it would have been better if I had practiced with
text chat earlier, but I think that's the way to go (I know I keep repeating myself
with this expression, but it's nice to feel that something is working in the middle run
when you do so much stuff with rather unnoticeable results within this interval).

I had less time for Tutu, Memrise and the Papiamento video, but I accomplished those
tasks right before the time to leave home. I even managed to listen to half a Chinese
podcast lesson (that was before I started talking at Sharedtalk, though). I only left
the Tuttle Flashcards for the afternoon.

At Culrure Talk, the interviewee mentioned a Georgian folk band I've know for 7 years!
It's the group 33a . I was happy to see it mentioned in the context of my studies. You
don't get that from textbooks :) .

Today's lesson at Travel in Chinese was about the Naxi (not the Na'vi!) people and the
Dongba script. I had heard about it before but never bothered checking, and it is
simply the most beautiful pictographic script I've seen so far.

I managed to do some lyricstraining in French. I did the new song 'La vie d'autre côté,
by Keen V. I like the lyrics.

The TED dialogue was by Malcolm Gladwell. He used the example of Norden's device in the
2nd World War but didn't go much further in what he actually wanted to say. I am
familiar with some of his books, nevertheless. I particularly enjoyed the beginning of
the talk. Malcolm Gladwell speaks clearly and mostly with shorter sentence, and that is
good for language learning.

I'm more confident with Georgian reading. I get better results with Ted Talk and
Culture Talk than with reading bilingually in Portuguese. Maybe it's the shorter
sentences at those two medias. A normal novel, even with a simple language such as the
ones by Paulo Coelho, tends to have somewhat longer sentences and long paragraphs. I do
believe I'm getting a nice amount of input.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 187 of 415
14 April 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Weekend

I travelled on Saturday afternoon and came back some 28 hours later, as expected, but I did find time for keeping up with Memrise and Anki and for some accomplishments: I finished all the Tuttle Flashcards - which I liked better than Heisig and another author I forgot; better to have examples and formation than to force mnemonics on you - and I read 2 pages from KGGS. Still too much to finish for someone who wants to be done with Georgian grammars and textbooks asap, but at least I'm starting to notice I'm beocming more comfortable with reading this grammar extensively. And I also started another grammar which I can read even more comfortably, because this one is in English: Georgian Syntax. So, whenever I have those gaps on weekends, I'll read a few pages from Georgian Syntax because it's my next Georgian resource after KGGS.

Reflections
I am wanderlusting, but only for the languages I'm already considering learning. I want to learn Estonian, Turkish, Indonesian and brush up Romanian and Italian to a reading level. On the other hand, I was just reflecting on how much I can already do and how much fun I can have with the knowledge I've got so far. I can enjoy reading in German, Norwegian, Russian, Georgian as long as I have a translation. It's not the same as reading directly and extensively, but it's much more interesting than reading translated works. If the original is in the target language and deals with the local culture, then it can be quite rewarding to read even with a translation, or to watch even with double (i.e. L2/L1) subtitles. If I decide to stop studying I can still select a corpus of novels and gather some films and series and have a lot of fun with my languages. All in all, it seems my work through those 2 years have been quite rewarding, et je ne regrette rien.

Funny how I'm becoming interested at the plot at the eternal French saga I'm reading. Reading is much faster now, even though I didn't read the first three volumes intensively. The current volume I'm reading is shorter than the ones I've read before and the plot also seems to be evolving faster.

Travel in Chinese is a bit boring. I have to copy-paste the dialogues and study both meaning and pinyin. Sometimes I get many sentences in a row, then there are sentences with up 10 ten unknown characters. A good thing about Chinese is that I'm starting to learn words in context, that is, I managed to read enough sentences where I only miss one word or two and thus I can focus on learning those words, even with pinyin and tones right.

glauco
Bilingual Triglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3682 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese*, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 188 of 415
15 April 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks

I am so Happy to know that we have one similar method as tv, anki, reading, writing my
cellphone and notebook language I got with me everywhere is like a time safer.
I the morning i do take a shower while I do watch the TV in French

I do a lot of jumping too. I am studding French, Latin and German.

Language Multitask Method:

Yesterday I was translating a commercial presentation of logistics' software Global
project for AB-Imbev (AMBEV) from English to Portuguese and listening the tv in French:

- Each 30 minutes I change to a different channel, business, music, art, cartoon
- Increase the multitask languages skill
- at the first 5 minutes seems hard but after 1 hour was amazing to see how much i did
accomplished and learned

Language Skills Benefits:

KPI's (Key performance Indicators)

Skill   Â     ;           ;           ;     Brain Areas

10% New   Vocabulary    Â Â Â  Â        - Reading
15% Understanding sentences        - Listening    
10% Recognize different accents     - Understanding
20% Language Multitask skill        - Translating

Note: I did develop this skill when I lived in USA, i was chosen in a group of
Brazilians people to translate a meeting I get inside of a room with a tv and Headset
the left side of the Headset I got the voice of the speaker and the right side I hear
my voice back. 3 months latter I went to Canada and I did participate at the ESL
program for immigrants, I did help the government on the immigration translating their
interviews and Teaching twice a week English for Chinese Immigrants, at that amazing
time I did study Chinese for 1 year.

Also once a week I translated 1 hour conferences from different countries more them 20.
Every meeting we have 3 speeches like 1 in Portuguese, Spanish and English them I
should translate for one of this 3 languages, them I did started to develop multitask
language skill and also recognize the different accents.

On the first Month was hard to get words to flow, and remembered that a lot of people
failed, also I did but the difference was that I did keep going and understood that I
could do it just need to practice the ability to Translate that was a total different
skill from speaking.

Well thanks for your recommendations ....

Obrigado    

Edited by glauco on 15 April 2014 at 12:28pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 189 of 415
18 April 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your achievements, glauco! I think 30 minutes is a wise number. I
have no idea how it is like to work as an interpreter, one really needs to push one's
skills highly.

===========
Time for an update after the DNS issues. I can't remember well what I did the past
days, but I'll try to sum up the most important issues.

I finished Perfectionnement Allemand. I have mixed feelings regarding this book.
I was really tired of so many notes. I also don't think I've made as much progress as I
made after the 3 beginner's Assimils and maybe after La pratique de l'allemand. The
texts became easier with time, though, and that's what matters.

Most important, I started Wieso Nicht, from Deutsche Welle. It's one more of
these courses I thought I'd never start. It's entirely in German, so, it's almost a
preparation for native material while already consisting of a good exposure. Funnily
enough, it's easier to understand a WN lesson, with a plot, than an Assimil lesson tha
usually consists of a larger dosis of nonsense, at least in the sense of lacking
introductory explanations and a longer plot. This is something I had already noticed
when comparing Assimil's short lessons with other courses with longer lessons or even
with other types of Assimil courses, such as Business French. Having a clear,
contextual situation helps one's understanding. Well, WN is a short course, only 20
lessons. Then I'll try Markplatz and maybe delve into native materials. I started te
first minutes of 'Das Leben der Anderen' and was impressed at how much I could
understand so well to the point of being able to transcribe it phonetically. Sandard
German has always been a language easy to decypher, and I believe this will help at
understanding meaning as well at a later point.

So, I also did a bit of Chinese watching and reading. I see how much difference two
evenings without a forum make. Besides the series I already mentioned, I watched a few
from Singapore, one of them was about recruits. I find it to be funny. It's
subtitled only in English, though, and there's quite some Singlish going on.

Russian is the language I'm making most sensible progress now. I'm trying my best to
consolidate my cases, at least as an overview, and Russe 90 has been helping
tremendously.

I've been reading my Norwegian novel extensively most of the day, and
comprehension increases each day. Maybe I can do a half-challenge.

I've read a few text-chat attempts at SharedTalk. I talked a bit in Norwegian,
no big deal. Contacted a Chinese but we talked only in English, it was lunch time for
me and we couldn't resume it later. I'm still disappointed at how many invitations I
send keep unanswered. The site's engine doesn't help much: you stay a couple of minutes
out of its tab and you get bumped off the site; when someone accepts your invitation at
the text chat, you don't get a sound warning or a tab-blinking warning. So, you really
have to check the tab all the time. That goes against the spirit of permanent
connection that is so typical of today's mobile social networks. I hope they get it
rearranged soon.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 190 of 415
21 April 2014 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
So, an unexpected update on a holiday after an unexpected opportunity to study. I think
I should evaluate my resources quickly:

Chinesepod - lessons are actually easy now. They all have new words, but I think
I could take longer dialogues. Actually I need texts, especially for the SC.
Russianpod - its longer texts at the Upper Beginner level were responsible for
an improvement at my Russian, alongside with Russe 90.
KGGS - Yeah, I'm reading the German on it extensively. I only think when it
delves into more complicated topics of the Georgian grammar I had better do it
intensively, as I still need to master them and the explanations are among the best one
can find.
Culture Talk Georgian - I don't like culinary lessons and the sound quality is
not the best, but I'm getting use to Georgian's speed and this is important.
Wieso Nicht - wonderful course. I'm actually amazed that it's easy for me, I
don't have to look up more than 5 words each lesson...and it's entirely in German! So
it looks rather like a preparation for B1, which means I might already be there.
Russe 90 - 21 lessons so far and I'm managing to work intensively on them and
do all the written exercises. I'm starting to get the hang of declensions, finally.
Hjem - This series is about to come to an end. Need to find another one and
watch it even if I don't find subtitles. I'm quite used to reading the subtitles in
Swedish at Hjem now.
French novel - Just finished the penultimate tome. 546 pages to go now. Most of
them will already count for the French Super Challenge.
Norwegian novel - So, I'm reading it mostly extensively. I can't really follow
the plot satisfactorily enough. I do hope the half SC will remedy this.
Travel in Chinese - Waiting patiently for the last month with it. I do hope
there is no other course at this situation (not available fully at Youtube and lacking
English subtitles
Papiamento novel - haven't read the past days, didn't bring it to my hometown.
I'm reading quite fast, though. Aruban orthography for the moment.
Papiamento video - There are better and worse days, but overall I'm happy with
my listening skills.
Memrise, Anki - After Tuttle's Flashcards went over, the load seems lighter now.
Not that I spent much time on them - it's rather the feeling of having one less
resource to worry about.
TED Talks - Ok, I don't always pause and pay close attention to the Georgian
text; I'm also having some audio/subtitle desync problems. Yet, I'm learning quite a
bit from it.
Georgian novel - There are good and bad days. Today I didn't manage to learn
much Georgian from it. Still, with so many translated Georgian texts I think overall
I'm making good progress even if I don't actually work on any of them intensively.
Chinese Breeze - Still too easy. Going to start a textbook (probably) this week,
as I'm about to finish the one I have (I really want to find her).
French movie Just finished De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté, not bad. I
need to watch 15 min more if I want to go for a full SC. Don't know how to handle this,
as I've also signed up for a Chinese half challenge.
======
So, the Super Challenge. I had to let go all of my intentions to associate the SC with
the start of native materials for my languages. The video part of the challenge is too
time consuming. People generally assume it is easier to just sit down and watch TV, but
they ignore how much time it takes. For example, I need 90 minutes to complete a film,
while I'm sure in 90 minutes I'd read much more than the 50 pages needed for completing
a book. I read 20 French pages a day in about 20 minutes but I don't have time for the
25 minutes a day required (according to my standards) to finish the French challenge.
Therefore, I'll stick to 1 French full challenge and 1 Norwegian and 1 Chinese half
challenges. I'd better focus on reading when necessary (Chinese, German and Russian
have no fixed reading at all now) and watch just excerpts. I know that with 5 minutes
of video a day I can learn a lot, and Papiamento is there to prove, but with 5 minutes
a day I can't even make a half challenge. So, going for video challenges would mean
doing more than I need in a time I don't have just for the sake of a challenge. That's
why I decided not to do SC's for Georgian, German and Russian, even though I'm at a
point at which I need them and would benefit from them. A sad and tough
decision, but life has to go on. I won't be able to use the SC as a tool for evaluating
my progress, but anyway, enough reflections. What I need now is to find a way to add
those activities to my routine: reading in Chinese, German and Russian; watching stuff
in German, Russian and Chinese. I'll have to plan wisely an optimal way that will allow
me to progress while having fun.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 191 of 415
22 April 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Holidays are over in a quite chaotic way. Bus crashes, canceled and delayed flights, missing luggage, late at work but things are getting on track again. I even managed to accomplish my schedule today. It's getting more effective and this is partially thanks to Wieso Nicht which is much more practical and effective than the previous Assimils.

The good offspring of the day is today's Ted Talk on listening. I like the topic and I think others could benefit from it. I even consier having a look at Julian Treasure's book.

People vented that the star-system would be back again and thus the 1/4 challenges. I'm waiting for a word from Cristina on this. If that's the case, good, because I'm hopeless when it comes to the film part. If not, no problem. Life goes on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3663 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 192 of 415
23 April 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
I believe you can study through anything!

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version