Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 105 of 415
05 February 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
You could try looking for some translated children's/young adult books. If you have Perapera (such a great tool!), reading through those types of books shouldn't be too painful, just find a text file and load it into Firefox/Chrome to use Perapera's dictionary. You can even use it to make word lists if you want to study them with Anki or upload them to Memrise later. Just press 's' when highlighting the word and it'll save it along with the definition.

EDIT: Another option is using something like NPCR or any textbook with dialogs, and just studying the vocab and reading the dialogs. I'm trying to start reading more, too :)

Edited by Crush on 05 February 2014 at 1:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 106 of 415
05 February 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you people.

I'm not sure how B1-ish I am. I've been through so many textbooks, but with Mandarin we
never know. I may be just an A2.

I've already been through NPCR 1 and 2, but I find 3 too hard due to lack of pinyin
and/or translation. I really can't miss time looking words up by drawing characters, so
any online/OCRed alternative with Pera Pera would automatically rank higher in my
preferences. I'm still studying from Chinese textbooks though. Currently I'm working on
a book with fables, it's more like a reader. Later on, I might try another textbook
that suits my level.

I know there's much on Chinese, it's just that I still don't know how (and where) to
look ;)

===============================
Today was a day to fight for consistence. I got to work a bit later, got distracted
(and talked a bit to co-workers, which does happen). When I went to have lunch, I still
hadn't finished the Georgian Reader quota! In the afternoon, I had an appointment to
look for appartments. I know there's still Duolingo missing, we'll see. I have some 45
minutes.

Travel in Chinese isn't working at all. Other courses do work at CCTV site. I'm finding
the dialogue as useful as any of those from textbooks and more lively and up-to-date,
so I'll stick to it. I'm missing important info from the videos, but there are the
notes and nothing is perfect. Today I missed portions of the dialogue but I studied it
all at the written form. It really fits my current level. Later on I've been talking
more often about my issues with Chinese, which is a good sign, because it's not for
complaining.

I could work on Memrise in the morning. 10 minutes were enough, few items to water.

Himmelblå is over. I'm orphan of another series, but I don't feel so 'devastated' as
with the previous ones. It was a little kjedelig in the ending, though. Three seasons,
24 episodes are enough to get familiarized with the characters and to make a story
sound predictable. Tomorrow I'll try to start Svarte penger,hvite løgner. I need to
look for more series after that.

À la une: I've just finished my first duolingo chapter. I managed to speak low enough
and still get registered at the program. Now 4 chapters missing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 107 of 415
06 February 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Basic Georgian - easy lesson. What I like the most is how the author introduces the main grammars topics according to their importance, but not detailedly enough to make the student lose focus.

I desperatedly need to start reading Chinese. If anyone can point to a website with short stories or tales, i'd be really grateful.

I started 'Svarte Pegner, Hvite Løgner, og så langt går det bra. Subs aren't synced but I noticed it's 2600ms delay that is necessary. I can understand almost everything from them and a good portion of
the audio. I have enough time to look up words while still watching on top, because they are few. Episodes are 1 hour long. So, I decided I'm going to watch 20 minutes a day. I don't want to add on 7
minutes more in Norwegian to my routine. Besides, this way I manage to save up the series. I only hope I won't lose that much track.

Found the series 'Tre brødre som ikke er brødre', but no sources. If all goes wrong, after Svarte pegner... and Hjem I'll have to resort to watching Ylvis with English subtitles...Anyone got the FB link
that lists all Ylvis' videos with EN subs?

Need to reduce chatting in English, since I can't reduce writing. I already have people I can chat with in French, and sometimes in Norwegian. I should take advantage of such opportunities.

Shared Assimil Italian with a friend who is going there. Wanderlust. The language is already quite transparent and I have some active skills, too. I have several Assimil editions including
Perfectionnement, for which I'd have to close the French as the languages would be too similar and at equivalent levels in my head. I need to figure out a way to speed up using these Assimils at earlier
stages. So far I'm working on German in 7 lessons in a row. I'd have to be even faster for Italian, but notes and stuff slow me down.

Couldn't load any Papiamento videos at YT today. Neither FF nor Chrome Overcame it by loading the video at the tablet, even though it's the same connection.

Exercises get more economic at TY Russian. No versions today, and tomorrow only a dozen.

Today was the easiest day at Beatles ever. In fact, the audio starts to be slower than my reading and word-looking-up speed. I gues it will get a little boring eventually, but I'll keep working on this
useful resource. I just realized it will always take some 18 minutes, considering I either play 3 or 4 tracks. Well, that's life. I need to have an idea of when I am going to finish the book. this will
take 35 study days, which in my case are 7 weeks. Then if I don't get another audiobook I will read in a more relaxed way. I think I'm close to a solid B1 at reading. I can read a text and get the
meaning despite some unknown words, which are usually descriptive ones.

I had some interruptions in the afternoon, but still on time. 1 hour to go and everything is over. I'm having a good time with Duolingo (for German). It's not that simple/easy. Vocabulary is taught
consistently and it does push up on active skills. I'm finding it easier now actually, and it's having a
good synergy with Assimil. My listening skills also improved.

I have to schedule some purchases to celebrate this new period at work. Some of the ones I have in mind: Spoken World Croatian, Intensive Course in Tongan and a Brazilian book translated into Russian.
There is some Chinese I forgot. I don't really need more *textbooks* for my current languages. Not even for Georgian, long reputed as a language with too little material. Estonian could see some
purchases, if the Estonian Textbook weren't so expensive.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 108 of 415
06 February 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Just had to share this
Chinese
Reading Practice

There were more and I'll also try to search for L/R (though I have to overcome the audio
restriction somehow, probably by downloading).

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 109 of 415
06 February 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
And I was already having trouble deciding between all that reading material I
accumulated..!

Awesome website though!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 110 of 415
07 February 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko, someone has translated quite a few levels of ainu lessons at the Unilang
forum. Do you know about them?

======
Today's ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები had some dialogues in Russian, and thus with Georgian
subtitles. They were easy to understand. I could get most of the Russian and almost all
the Georgian. That only made me realized how much more I could have learned if I had
been using subtitles.

A milestone reached. Finished Assimil Le nouvel allemand sans peine. Brought me close
to consolidating B1. A lot of words that I learned passively and which I will likely
learn actively soon. Wise choice of words and idioms, clear explanations. Better than
all the Russian ones, the Norwegian one and German Without Toil. I'm really happy I
started it over and finished it. I dropped it in its half several years ago, and I
didn't know the best was yet to come. The synergy with Duolingo really worked out, and
made up for my not doing the active wave. The listening part also mattered for a better
understanding. In the last few days, I had started to anticipate words and understand
the following lessons even before reading the translation. Now I really need to hurry
up with L'Allemand, so I can start the actual challenge - the intermediate ones. Then
I'll see if I'll need any textbooks. If after two intermediate Assimils my German
passive skills are at least like Norwegian when I did my last textbook, I may just drop
German textbook study and leave room for Spanish or Italian. German is a language that
I've always had less trouble turning into active what I know than learning more
vocabulary from unfamiliar roots. Now I feel I start to build a consistent
intergermanic vocabulary.

Norwegian video and reading in general. I'm longing for Norwegian. I'm approaching that
stage I reached in French when it's mostly fun. I have fresh, new material and I can
understand it with little effort. As a matter of fact, I'm no longer at that stage in
French because now what I learn is mostly details. So, I want to enjoy this for
Norwegian while it lasts. I could go as far as it gets with consistency when I decided
to play another track and read on at 'Beatles' while having read 9 pages, even if I had
stopped just at the beginning of a new chapter. In spite of making it even, I decided
to stick to my goal of at least 10 pages and ended up reading 12.

For a weird reason the videos from the channel TeleCuraçao at YT stopped loading at
this computer, both browsers. I can still load them at the tablet, but it stops all the
time.

Today everything got delayed. I got to work later and, even though I had to stay
longer, I got busy on the phone several times. I've realized it's better to get rid of
textbook study before lunch, because it's much harder to have that full span
concentration after lunch. It's not only my fault, it also gets rather noisy in here
early in the afternoon. Yet I finished one hour before the deadline.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4048 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 111 of 415
08 February 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
I'm interested in hearing you're thoughts on Assimil L'Allemand as compared to the other two when you use it. I've often wanted to compare 3 generations of Assimil with a single language, but so far the proper occasion hasn't come up.

Edited by YnEoS on 08 February 2014 at 1:53am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 112 of 415
09 February 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
As far as I can tell, it does seem to having been dumbed down when compared to Le
nouvel allemand. I'll be able to give a more accurate report in the next three weeks,
if all goes well.

The weekend was productive. I usually keep up with Anki, Memrise and Duolingo, but on
Saturday I also had some dead time and thus I read on 20 pages from the French book and
read a bit from A Georgian Reader. Both are resources I don't really enjoy that much,
so it's nice to know they're gonna end at least 1 day before planned.

I've also been reading on
Chinese
Reading Practice
which I mentioned earlier. I'm simply addicted! I need to add it
as 1 fixed resource. It is exactly what I need now for my Chinese.

My priority for next week is finishing Basic Georgian. There are only 4 lessons left,
but these are bigger and introduce more complex grammar. I will work on them prior to
anything else, nevertheless. Finishing this book will leave room for more consistent
study on Georgian which ultimately will allow me to start Estonian and leave Georgian
into native material only. Since I use 2 textbooks for Georgian daily, I believe I'll
work on the ones I still have - Structural Grammar, Kurze Grammatik and another one I
forgot, or maybe it is a review - until there is only one Georgian book left and I can
start an Estonian one.

I also want to finish a huge Georgian deck based on the book by Kita Tschenkéli which I
already went through, but it may take a few weeks still. That will probably coincide
with my starting Estonian and thus I'll probably start a Memrise course on Estonian,
probably based on the textbook I'll be using by then.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version