Watching: 18hrs,28min
Flashcards: 8hrs,54min
Reading: 7hrs,46min

DEC. TOTAL: 90hrs,08min
DEC. AVG: 2hrs,54min

Super Challenge Dec stats:
Films (min): 642
Pages read: 35

December proved to be my 2nd best month as planned. 90hrs and 8 min comes in 2nd
behind my staggering 133hrs in January (I bolted out of the gates like I was struck by
lightning). May was 3rd with 88hrs,7min. December equalled Feb for average per day at
2hrs,54min. So December proved very studious. Well done to me I say. In terms of SC
stats it proved to be a productive month but nothing outstanding, which doesn't bother
me in the slightest as I was all about using the courses.
------------------------------------

2014 statistics and summary

Course study hours: 301hrs,36min
Audio only study hours: 246hrs,47min
Watching (TV,series etc): 154hrs,41min
Flashcard focused study: 121hrs,11min
Reading: 109hrs,23min
Conversations: 2hrs,15min
Meetups: 1hr,40min
Writing: 30min
Edit: *Note that 'writing' simply entailed using the website Lang8. I have done a LOT
more writing than this, but it's all included in my course study hours as that's when
I would usually write. Thus it's a difficult category to capture and prob not one
worth continuing with.

2014 TOTAL FRENCH STUDY TIME: 926hrs,43min
2014 AVERAGE DAILY FRENCH STUDY: 2hours,32min

Super Challenge 2014 stats:
Films (min): 5334
Pages: 808

In terms of the the total hours of French study it's most likely over 1000. I'm not
saying this to simply reach the 1000, but there were often times I realised some of
the numbers didn't add up (don't be surprised if they still don't I haven't thoroughly
checked them). And if I found an error in the numbers I would be cautious and
downgrade the hours not upgrade (let's say the total of a month was 80 but adding the
separate components came to 75, i'd change it to 75, not alter individual numbers to
make the total 80). There were often things I watched early in the year I didn't
count, and often things right up until past mid year that I'd read online and not
count it in my hours. So it's really in my mind been a thousand hour study year.

I'd be most pleased if I could maintain these numbers in the coming year and improve
my health at the same time as i'm still not exercising nearly enough, and as far as
nutrition goes there's always room for improvement.

Bring on 2015. Thanks 2014 for a decent effort.

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 31 December 2014 at 1:47pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 242 of 451
31 December 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Super dooper awesome Monsieur Le Prime Ministre !

Thank you for the recap. You definitely anhilated it this year.

I'm very happy to see your breakdowns in terms of hours spent and what appears to be a very balanced
approach to your studies this year.

As an aside, I thought of something that may be helpful for keeping track of TAC 2015 Team progress. That
is, have the member post to the Team Thread when they update their log. I guess if everyone is assiduous in
watching for their teammates in the Active list, this wouldn't be so necessary, but I thought I'd share it since it
came to mind.

P.S.P.M. You would also be a great captain of the French team in 2015. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

P.P.S. OMG. Another kind soul has just given me "useful" 1001, which is apparently the tipping point to turn
on fourth loving cup. Thanks everyone for putting up with my squabbling, rambling, and meandering this
year!

Edited by luke on 31 December 2014 at 6:11pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4659 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 243 of 451
31 December 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Brilliant year, PM! I agree that following your log has really given me a lot of good ideas and inspiration. Good luck with your plans for the coming year!

luke wrote:
As an aside, I thought of something that may be helpful for keeping track of TAC 2015 Team progress. That is, have the member post to the Team Thread when they update their log. I guess if everyone is assiduous in watching for their teammates in the Active list, this wouldn't be so necessary, but I thought I'd share it since it came to mind.

I actually didn't like it when people posted this sort of thing on the team thread. Since I got updates for every team member's thread, I'd read their posts there first, then get a bit excited that there's something new on the team thread, only to find out that it was just a link to what I've just read.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 244 of 451
31 December 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
luke wrote:
As an aside, I thought of something that may be helpful for keeping track of
TAC 2015 Team progress. That is, have the member post to the Team Thread when they update their log. I
guess if everyone is assiduous in watching for their teammates in the Active list, this wouldn't be so
necessary, but I thought I'd share it since it came to mind.

I actually didn't like it when people posted this sort of thing on the team thread. Since I got updates for every
team member's thread, I'd read their posts there first, then get a bit excited that there's something new on the
team thread, only to find out that it was just a link to what I've just read.

That makes sense. Your keen observational skills and diplomatic manner might should be paired up with PM
to become the Dynamic Duo of TAC 2015 French Team.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 245 of 451
01 January 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Super dooper awesome Monsieur Le Prime Ministre !

Thank you for the recap. You definitely anhilated it this year.

I'm very happy to see your breakdowns in terms of hours spent and what appears to be a
very balanced
approach to your studies this year.

Thanks Luke. Your positive feedback is very much appreciated :) Things have seemed
quiet around the end of 2014. I hope there's more activity in 2015. In retrospect, it
just seems like a LOT of ppl fell by the wayside as the year progressed, let's hope
2015 brings a more collaborative effort for our new French team.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 246 of 451
01 January 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Brilliant year, PM! I agree that following your log has really given
me a lot of good ideas and inspiration. Good luck with your plans for the coming
year!

Thanks Jeffers. As with Luke I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Jeffers wrote:

luke wrote:
As an aside, I thought of something that may be helpful for keeping track
of TAC 2015 Team progress. That is, have the member post to the Team Thread when they
update their log. I guess if everyone is assiduous in watching for their teammates in
the Active list, this wouldn't be so necessary, but I thought I'd share it since it
came to mind.

I actually didn't like it when people posted this sort of thing on the team thread.
Since I got updates for every team member's thread, I'd read their posts there first,
then get a bit excited that there's something new on the team thread, only to find out
that it was just a link to what I've just read.

I tend to agree with Jeffers here. Although I know your suggestion was logical from
your perspective luke, I think it does makes sense to just follow along with
individual logs and then use the team thread for more collaborative/sharing type
dialogue related to the team atmosphere. Doubling up seems conter-productive and
slightly annoying, but thanks for considering the possibility. It's always worthwhile
putting it out there :)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3757 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 247 of 451
01 January 2015 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Very impressive 2014! Your log has given me great inspiration and motivation during the last year! Here is
hoping that you have an awesome 2015!

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5226 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 248 of 451
01 January 2015 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
I forgot to tally up my Flashcard total for 2014... I won't go back and edit that post
as I like the fact it was posted literally minutes before the end of the year. However
I don't want to not note down my flashcards for 2014.

So the grand total of new flashcards created so far for French is 9375 cards. I'm
pretty sure I hardly had any cards at all in my flashcard deck or even zero late 2013,
so the vast majority (if not all) were created in 2014. I don't want to get into the
stats any deeper with the FC's as I've already monitored the time spent on them in my
study totals above and I don't really analyse the cards any deeper like many other
people do with their Anki stats.

Perhaps I will later anylse them further later on, but not yet. I just create them and
'use' them. Stats don't matter yet for a few reasons including the fact that I spent
most of the year lagging behind my newly created cards with many cards not even active
yet (I have to get each new card correct 5 times for it to become active- I set it
this way). Bla bla bla. It's a pretty good flashcard system (flashcards deluxe), but I
am tempted to at least try Anki at some point in 2015 to see if it can improve my
studying of flashcards in any way. My pre-conceived notion is that is unlikely but
it's worth a try.

This discussion contains 451 messages over 57 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version