languagewanderer.com
Joined 4337 days ago

62 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 225 of 338
25 March 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Hi! :)
I see that you finished one book and went on to study another one! :) That's great! I
higly recommend Stein Pa Stein in case you need a change from your current textbook :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 226 of 338
25 March 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm eager about starting such book. I'm enjoying the grammar + translation combo I've got at the old TY, it's just that since there are exercises every other page, I have to stick to studying it while sitting in front of the computer with the iPad by my side. When I was doing Colloquial Norwegian, I could study while at the bus or at any dead time I'd find, because I had the paperback book. Well, that's a minor adjusment, I think I'm going somewhere even though I've been studying less these days. I'm studying through 3 anki decks as well, so one resource is reinforcing the other.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 227 of 338
28 March 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently at page 149 of TY Norwegian 1944. It's a bit boring to read about the
grammar, but I'm getting good practice by reading and trying to translate these texts.
It's gonna be real fun the time I won't need a dictionary all the time for reading
Norwegian. Now there are some 35 pages left at this book. The exercises slow me down and
prevent me from studying more often, outside from my daily schedule, like on weekends,
but overall I think they're being useful.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 228 of 338
02 April 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm close to finishing TY Norwegian, maybe until Friday. Now I realize I've been working on it for only a few days over a month. The reason that it seemed longer is that I expected it to last much less. Still, it might not cause any harm to my plans. On the contrary: at these final lessons I've been getting good practice on text reading, and I'm more confident now.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 229 of 338
04 April 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm DONE with Teach Yourself Norwegian, the 1944 edition. It was indeed a useful book, and it has speeded up my Norwegian reading considerably. This old-textbook format has its place, alongside with Assimil. You still get the advantage of short lessons and yet you learn grammar in a structured way. My favorite lessons are always those about syntax, with subordinate clauses. They make me think I'm moving towards using the language naturally.

Btw, change of plans. I've checked TY 1967 edition and it's pretty much similar to the 1944 edition. The schedule is about the same, most of the practice texts are, I bet only a few sentences have been "updated" from 1944 to 1967 in order to deal with more usual subjects at that time. So, I'm going to skip TY 1967.

Now comes either Linguaphone or a monolingual textbook. I'll have to decide it until tomorrow. I'm not in the mood for textbooks with long lessons, so, I'll look carefully at Linguaphone and see if it fits me first.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 230 of 338
04 April 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I made up my mind. It's Linguaphone I'm heading for. I've already got familiarized with the book. It looks great! I'm going to get a lot of monolingual exposure, and only refer back to the booklet when necessary. It will be great as a preparation for the textbooks published in Norwegian, because I'll become familiarized with the typical textbook expressions.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 231 of 338
05 April 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
So, I've started Linguaphone. It is an important step not only for my Norwegian studies, but for several other upcoming studies, since it's the first time I'm dealing with a renowned method.

I don't recommend it for fresh beginners. There is too much vocabulary and they get easily ovewhelming. It's more suitable for preparing you for the intermediate level and for using later truly monolingual textbooks, as is the case with Norwegian, which lacks intermediate resources based on a foreign source language.

There is so much audio, which is a good thing. The notes are extensive, much more than Assimil ever was, but still clearer and more useful than Assimil's. I learned about the details of how 'fader' and 'moder' turned into 'far' and 'mor'. Each lesson has the dialogues/vocabulary at the textbook, then at the handbook you have the notes on vocabulary + translation at the first part and the extensive notes on grammar/etimology at the second part. So, you have to check three different places for each lesson. There's also a supplementary group of texts at the end of the textbook.

I also came across this:

"Min kone leser i en bok", My wife is reading a book. The prepositional expression i en bok indicates that she is occupied reading a book, without finishing it. If you finish the book within the period of time mentioned, you would not use the preposition: Hun leser en bok hver uke, She reads one book every week.

I'd like to know whether this rule is still observed or is now obsolete.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 232 of 338
08 April 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm falling in love with Linguaphone. A must go for the pre-intermediate level! I get more Norwegian audio which I wasn't having in the past textbook. The length of the lessons is quite like Assimil. Today I did lessons 2 and 3, and will try to do more in a row while it's still easy. Linguaphone lessons just don't have the parallel translation and notes. They have the glossary at another volume and the notes at another section of that other volume.

I like the notes coming after everything, this way they don't disturb the dialogues so much as they do in Assimil, with their length. OTOH, having to look up 3 different pages for the same single lesson is a bit unpractical. I've solved this by opening the Handbook at the tablet and another copy of it at the computer, split with the textbook. This way, I can see all three needed sections at once.

What is more important, this book is making me more and more confident with trying actual Norwegian.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version