Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 249 of 338
15 May 2013 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm doing more En-to-tre while I work on the final supplementary texts for Linguaphone. It makes me really happy that I'm so much more comfortable with that load of Norwegian reading and listening (not to mention the three Anki decks with sentences). One day I'll have to find a way to activate this inventory!
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4810 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 250 of 338
16 May 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Expug, I'm not learning Norwegian, but I am very curious as to why you have three Anki sentence decks. Please share some information!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 251 of 338
16 May 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Have you heard about shared decks?! =D They're all shared decks. I wouldn't bother building up three different decks for Norwegian. In fact, I wouldn't bother building decks at all. I only build decks for obscure languages such as Georgian and Papiamentu because I want to share those decks with others once they're done.

In the case of Norwegian, one deck has sentences with audio, the other one has the vocabulary from TY Norwegian and the other one has some Assimil sentences. So, they complement each other fairly well.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 252 of 338
17 May 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 

I'm done with Linguaphone Norwegian. This was my first Linguaphone ever! And I'm very happy about that. It is not the type of book to start learning from, it lacks the parallel translation and word-by-word translation that makes @&&imil so easy to follow. Linguaphone rather throws up too much vocabulary that would make a beginner look up every word in the book. Besides, you have to look at the text, the glossary and the notes, all at different pages. It is really like they scathered an @&&imil lesson through three different sections. Apart from that, the content is pretty much useful and the dialogues are authentic even after several decades. You really get to know the words through context, unlike at TY books with dialogues that start and end with much less coherence. I recommend this book at your last A1 or your first pre-intermediate resource. This will set you ready for trying monolingual textbooks such as På Vei (which will seem already easy) and Stein på Stein.

As for En-to-tre, the dialogues start to get a bit harder. I don't understand everything even if I know all the words, which means I must train my ear better. I'm getting exposure to different dialects, and the cultural information is also useful. Besides, I'm reading the grammar explanations in Norwegian ! (They're written in English and Norwegian, which is good for improving my vocabulary on these linguistical terms). I thought I'd finish it quickly because it would be too easy, but I'm enjoying the process.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 253 of 338
22 May 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I've just finished En-to-Tre! It was the first one I did after Linguaphone, and the first one that seemed more suitable for language classrooms. The first lessons seemed to easy, but I decided to stick to if and I realized it has important cultural insights on the life in Norway. I got to learn enough words each lesson not to be overwhelmed and I could do this very quick, about three lessons a day. That means my Norwegian is getting better and the book still has enough new content to be useful. Besides, the grammar explanations are billingual and I got more Norwegian text and learned the grammatical vocabulary.

Now back to the schedule:

- Ny i Norge
- Norsk for utledinger
- Norsk for utledinger 2
- På vei
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

Will try Ny i Norge. I will basically listen to the audio. WIll only move on if I find it too easy.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 254 of 338
23 May 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
So, this was my first day with Ny i Norge. I managed to do two lessons. They are rather long in terms of audio, so I think I won't manage to do several in a row as I had thought. Even so, the text is being very useful.

OTOH, I'm almost tempted to start the billingual reading, specially considering that I have a Portuguese translation. That would have to be done after my whole schedule is over, not as part of my textbook schedule. I'll see what I can do.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 255 of 338
23 May 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
So, I've started learning my first Norwegian novel, Kabalmysteryet by Jostein Gaarder. I know it is a bit early, but I've been looking up 1 or 2 words per phrase, some 5 per paragraph, and I have the Portuguese translation to resort to. I can do it!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5129 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 256 of 338
28 May 2013 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
I haven't updated in the past days, but I'm keeping consistency in taking more and more Norwegian each day. Today I listened to three lessons from Ny i Norge, and latye in the afternoon I read 3 more pages of Kabalmysteryet. I try to read the Norwegian sentence, then I resort to the Brazilian edition, and only when I can't figure out the meaning of a non-literal translation I use the translator for individual words.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version