Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 289 of 338
31 July 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
A lot of people advise me about KlarTale, but I think I may skip it. I can follow the news if I just look up some words I miss.

So you found Dag online? Where? Can you pm me? I'd really like to start a Norwegian series soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 290 of 338
05 August 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I am SO HAPPY! Today I started watching Dag, season 1, with subtitles in Norwegian.

Some remarks:

- It's going to replace my French series which ended on Friday (that is, I finished watching all of its episodes ever released through 5 seasons).
- It has an acid humour and is interesting. People speak fast and the subtitles aren't 100% accurate but I'm sure I'll get used to it easily.
- I can understand almost everything from the subtitles, I just copy-paste it at Google Translator to make it easier for me, just having parallel texts.
- Each episode is only 22 min long, so, besides improving my Norwegian I have 20 more minutes free each day for advancing with other activities. I may even use them for another French series with short episodes.
- I am having a lot of fun and I definitively brought Norwegian into the fun stage, as I'm reading a novel from one of my favorite authors and watching TV

Today I also read my first texts extensively in Norwegian, that is, no dictionaries. It was from Her på Berget, still a textbook but an advanced one, anyway. Reason was practical: I was waiting to pick some forms at the city hall, so I had the book but no computer access. I won't say I understood everything comfortably, but it went on better than I expected! After all, it was just more text on Norwegian pre-history and vikings time. The only text I had more trouble with was King Olaf's abridged legend.

So, I'm really motivated. I don't remember my goal for Norwegian, maybe a mild B1, but I'm certainly close to it. I need more input now, and maybe I can use those 20 minutes I just got for that.

Thank you all who follow this log for the encouragement!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 291 of 338
08 August 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I am having a sort of a Norwegian overdosis.

I take about 120 Anki sentences in the morning.
Then I read one full lesson from Her på Berget (today's lesson had 13 pages!).
I watch a TV series 22 min long, with subtitles in Norwegian.
I then read about 15 pages on a Norwegian novel.

Really hope that for when Her på Berget is over the podcasts at Norwegianpod101 are shorter. OTOH, I didn't look for that overdosis, it is just happened. What is happening now is similar to what happened to French when I was about to reach basic fluency. So, that may be a sign of good news. I really need to reach this basic fluency in Norwegian and leave room for German. For this, I need to improve my listening seriously, tho. I believe those news podcasts will do the job.

By the way, I just finished reading Kabalmysteriet! It was my first novel in Norwegian. It is written by an author I have always liked and whose books I have always thought of reading in the original! 12 years ago I had that in mind. Now, after only 1 year of intense study, I can say that I've seen a dream come true!

==========
Books read in Norwegian:

Jostein Gaarder - Kabalmysteriet
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 292 of 338
08 August 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, can't help it. I already started Appelsinpiken, my next book. Now with the audiobook! Pity that it slows down things, but this books is twice as short and I'll get to almost do some L-R! I read the first two pages without resorting to the translation, it was so quick. Now I found the translation and will keep it for when it is absolutely necessary. I start to think my level of Norwegian will have changed by the time I'll have finished this book.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4482 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 293 of 338
09 August 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I take about 120 Anki sentences in the morning.

Counting reviews, I hope? Otherwise I'm very very envious of your tenacity and work ethic. :-D Anyway, keep up the good work and I hope you're enjoying the audiobook!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 294 of 338
09 August 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Counting reviews, indeed. I take only about 30 new sentences. And I think I'm going to
have a great time with the audiobook, it does help understand the meaning of a text
because you get intonation, pauses.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 295 of 338
09 August 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
A copy of a post I just made and will post at italki. You see that my output is still
lagging behind. I do hope to make things even. Today I had more free time and couldn't
help doing output after all of my supplementary materials had already been used.

Hallo alle sammen!

Jeg har begynt å lære norsk i fjor, akkurat ett år siden. Jeg har brukt mange lærebøker
igjen, og nå driver jeg med min siste lærebok, Her på Berget. Jeg har allerede begynt å
lese romaner med oversettelser på portugisisk og se på TV på norsk. Jeg har nettopp
leste boken 'Kabalmysteriet' av Jostein Gaarder og jeg holder på å se på den norske TV-
serien Dag, som jeg liker veldig godt. Etter at jeg var ferdig med Kabalmysteriet har
jeg begynte med Appelsinpiken, også med lydboken. Det er første gangen jeg bruker en
lydbok, og jeg gleder meg til å lære mye av den.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 296 of 338
19 August 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
It's over! I'm done with Her på Berget. This book is basically the same as Stein på
Stein, just with longer lessons. Sometimes I have the sense that the subjects are a bit
too similar between the two books, but all in all there is enough vocabulary to make
the learner confident about the subjects being introduced. In fact, Her på Berget
seemed easier than Stein på Stein, as I was already used to long lessons on a specific
subject. In fact, the lessons could indeed have been a bit shorter at Her på Berget as
well. I still like it better than the previous one, anyway.It seems that the longer the
texts get, the more context you have and the new words are scattered along it.

Now I'm sticking to the Advanced audioblog from podcast 101. It fits my needs for more
newspaper vocabulary. Besides, since the texts are just 3 min long, it gives me more
free time early in the morning, which is when I do my main study from textbooks for
Chinese, Georgian and Russian. Today, as I did the first audioblong lesson, I could
spend more time on the book/audiobook for Norwegian because I hadn't had as much
Norwegian as I had in the past days when I was still studying from Her på Berget.

So, I'm glad part of the Norwegian overdosis of the previous days is over and yet I
feel that I'm making steady progress. I'm still retaining Norwegian at my "official"
textbook schedule even though what I'm doing all in all is native materials: one text
with audio, then a TV series which I really like then an audiobook with text and
translations.

I'm learning to enjoy audiobooks, one thing I was pretty much resistant about. Most
important, I'm benefiting from my Norwegian knowledge as it is granting me access to
cultural resources I'm really enjoying, so I feel like I have already been rewarded for
trying a bit harder in the beginning and I feel that my goals for this year have
already been accomplished.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version