Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 321 of 338
13 November 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention Halvbroren! One of the best, indeed. It is not comedy, just like
Koselig med peis isn't, and it was a good decision to go for something non-comedy right
now.

While we're at it, I'm surprised sometimes as some Norwegian roots have sticked and can
be summoned up rather easily, even when they don't correspond either to English or to
German roots. Today I had to write 'boring' and I first thought of German (langweilig)
but remembered it wasn't so, and could come up with 'kjedelig' in time. Sometimes I
even remember the Norwegian one prior to the German one. Not to mention the 'true
friends' between Norwegian and Portuguese! I really like those words which are
different in English but cognates in Norwegian and Portuguese. And it's not always
because of French, because we have ferier/férias but vacances in French. It might be
mostly from Latin, I believe.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4527 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 322 of 338
13 November 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator, first of all let me say well done on a great log! I've been following it
for some time now and it's really sparked my interest in Norwegian!

A little question: I know you've gone through a lot of textbooks during the course of
your studies, which ones would you recommend to a beginner in Norwegian, and in which
order would you use them?

I'm learning German at the moment, but I'm very tempted to pick up some materials for
Norwegian...curse you wanderlust!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 323 of 338
14 November 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, liam! Glad to help,

I'd recommend to start with either the 90's Teach Yourself of Hugo's Norwegian in three
months, and I still advise the latter, as it has translation to all dialogues. I don't
recommend Colloquial, it's badly organized. Do it if you finished the others and still
think you need some warming up. Then Assimil, it is not for true beginners but rather
for 'false beginner's, the vocabulary at Assimil is even more intense than at the
monolingual textbooks aimed at immigrants.

Then I used two old TY's mainly for grammar, but they could be replaced by modern
grammars such as Norwegian: an Essential Grammar and Norwegian Verbs and Essentials of
Grammar (both which I'm reading now). After that I did En-to-tre, then Linguaphone
Norwegian. It was Linguaphone Norwegian that paved the way for me to start the
monolingual textbooks Ny i Norge, På Vei, Bo i Norge, Stein på Stein, Her på Berget and
these were the ones that taught me the most.
3 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4527 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 324 of 338
14 November 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the insight, very useful!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 325 of 338
25 November 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
So, I'm busy with reading "Slottet i Pyreneene". A bit boring, should I say, given that
I already read an interview with the author when he explains which side he supports.
Besides, the one character he supports borders arrogance and stubbornness. I'd have
preferred it as Listening-Reading, anyway. The good news is that my reading keeps
speeding up. I'm starting to grasp a few meanings from context, especially abstract
words with multiple meanings, which are usually the hardest for me.

When it comes to grammars, I'm reading 4-6 pages a day from each of them. I'm becoming
conscious of important aspects of the language I had heard about before, but now it is
much easier to make sense out of them. It wasn't a bad idea to leave grammar nitpicks
for when I've already mastered the basics.

I've finished 'Koselig med peis', and I liked it. Was already attached to the
characters. Pity that Norwegian series are usually short! I hope I like Himmelblå,
because this one will stay with me for the turn of the year. I start to get the hang of
idiomatic Norwegian the way I did with French about 1 1/2 years ago. The language
ceases to be fossilized and starts to feel lively, like some entity I'd actually use
and speak. Sounds good. Det hører veldig bra ut.

I'm only negleting active input. Schedule is a bit tight now, especially at this time
of the year when everything gets busier at work.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 326 of 338
25 November 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
This is my first dialogue in Norwegian for this challenge:

- Hei! Hva er det du driver med på nå?
- Jeg sitter og ser på serien 'Halvbroren'
- Er det bra?
- Ja, veldig fint. Det er den først serien jeg har sett på som ikke er en komedie. Det er heller et drama.
- Hva handler det om?
- Serien omfatter tre generasjoner av en familie hvem sine liv ble forandret for alltid under nazi-okkupasjon. Det finnes mange flashbacks i fortellingen.
- Det ser interessant ut. Jeg skal gi det et forsøk.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4796 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 327 of 338
26 November 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Bortsett fra at du brukte "det" istedet for "den" gjentatte ganger, ser jeg ingen feil
der. Når man "erstatter" et substantiv med "den" eller "det" så må de samsvare med
substantivets kjønn.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 328 of 338
03 December 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
So, this time I tried to bear in mind that each noun gets replaced and recalled according
to its gender.

- Har du sett fotoapparatet mitt?
- Det ligger sikkert i skapet på kjøkkenet.
- å, sant? Hva gjør det der borte?
- Husker du ikke at du tok noen bilder av kjøleskapet, som er nesten helt ødelagt, for å
sende dem til den tekniske supporten?
- Jo da. Til og med en glas vann klarer det ikke å kjøle ned, Jeg vet ikke om det er
verdt å få reparere det, men man må prøve alle muligheter før man kaster ut en så stor
maskin.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version