Norway
Joined 4009 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Swedish, Danish, German
Studies: Russian

Message 329 of 338
03 December 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
- Har du sett fotoapparatet mitt?
- Det ligger sikkert i skapet på kjøkkenet.
- Å, er det sant? Hva gjør det der?
- Husker du ikke at du tok noen bilder av kjøleskapet, som nesten er helt ødelagt, for å
sende dem til teknisk support?
- Jo da. Til og med et glass vann klarer det ikke å kjøle ned, Jeg vet ikke om det er
verdt å få reparert det, men man må (jo) prøve alle muligheter før man kaster ut en så stor
maskin (ting).   

Det er ikke vanlig å kalle "kjøleskap" for en maskin på norsk. Kjøleskap er "hvitevare" sammen med f.eks.
oppvaskmaskin, vaskemaskin, fryser.

Edited by snorrews on 03 December 2013 at 10:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 330 of 338
10 December 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Time for some update. Norwegian was the language of the year for me, just like French
was in 2012. I learned so much about the Norwegian culture, both at advanced textbooks
and at books and series. Watching Norwegian series has been simply one of the best
times of my day! Currently I'm watching Himmelblå, but I've also watched Halvbroren,
Lilyhammer, Koseliog med peis and others. I like some more than others, but I like them
all and I'm glad for all the effort I put. I'm still reading subtitles with a
translation but it's becoming less and less necessary.

When it comes to reading, I am having a little less fun than with series, mostly due to
some not so great choices. It is not at a good speed yet, but I believe it will
improve. I have some titles waiting for me next year, but I'm still more comfortable
with a translation, because I want to read fast due to my busy schedule. I want to do
L-R again, it was a really productive experience.

I don't have any plans in terms of textbooks, on the contrary, I want to take this
schedule gap for starting German. I want to keep doing stuff I like in Norwegian, and I
want to write more often, too. It is starting to get much easier and I'm making fewer
mistakes. If it weren't for my focus on dialogues thanks to the challenge I proposed, I
would write here in Norwegian, too. But maybe my Scandinavian team mates for 2014 will
encourage me to do so anyway.

Norwegian was the language that led me into the languages passion, and now I can say
it's no longer a passion, it is love, as it is already a big part of my life.

2014 will see an attempt to watch TV without subtitles (as I do have a series I didn't
get subtitles for) and, if I am ambitious enough and also get opportunities to Skype, I
might even see a new language at my Speaks status. No idea so far as for my CEFR level,
though.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5257 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 331 of 338
10 December 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Great work! We could set up a Skype session, and I can try to give you an estimation of your level :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 332 of 338
12 December 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
- For en storm! Jeg har ikke sett så mye regn i år.
- Det verst med så mye regn og vind er at vi plutselig får et strømbrudd når det begynner
å regne tungt.
- Ja, du har rett. Det synes at kvalitetet på strømnettet er mye verre her enn på
nærområdene.
- Det kan hende. I går, for eksempel, vi fikk 6 timers strømbrudd her på gata mens alle
områdene var lyse!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 333 of 338
12 December 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
(I sent Cristina a PM about the Skype sessions, in case people wonder)

I'm becoming less and less dependent of subtitles. One other thing happened today: I
left the translation of Slottet i Pyreneene at work, and since I read the book at home
today I had to do without the translation. It worked! Much better than expected. I'm
really getting to the point at which I just have to look up 4 or 5 words per paragraph.
It's almost the same level as of when I took French, which is a Romance language! For a
long time I thought I'd only manage to read easily languages with a Romance background
(this includes Papiamento), and that reading a non-Romance language would take several
years of work, with active vocabulary accompanying the passive one. This is not quite
what happens to me, since I feel more and more confident about reading in Norwegian and
I start to play with context. Bear in mind I'm not fluent in any other Germanic
language, and even my English lacks a lot of vocabulary related to concrete nouns,
which I don't have to talk about often. The next best thing would be to start watching
TV without subtitles, just like it happened with French, but I still think it might
take longer with Norwegian. Well, let's see how 2014 will bless the Scandinavian team.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 334 of 338
17 December 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Today was a day of accomplishments. My final days of studying Norwegian through
textbooks are coming to an end. I just finished reading Norwegian Verbs and Essentials
of Grammar, and now only Norwegian: an essential grammar is standing between German and
I. Did you read German? yes, you're right. The fact is that once I'm done with
textbook/grammar chores for Norwegian, I'm going to use this free slot for finally
restarting German from where I stopped it. I still plan on working a lot on Norwegian
next year, so I can reach basic fluency. That means I'm still going to watch at least
20 min of a TV series plus read about 10 pages of a novel, while keeping working on
writing dialogues for my challenge.

I also finished the book "Slottet i Pyreneene". I didn't like the book as much as I
expected. I believe the way the author chose to carry on the story was a bit truncated,
and he also sounded partial towards his own belief most of the time. Anyway, this isn't
related to Norwegian, I just have to keep in mind that the book helped me even more
with the language.

The first season of Himmelblå is now over, but fortunately there are two others
waiting. It's always hard to say goodbye to characters we feel attached to :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 335 of 338
20 December 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm to the point of finishing reading "Norwegian: an Essential Grammar", my last
bookish Norwegian resource. That means I'm going to join the TAC 2014 entirely as a
native-resources hoarder. Next week German will replace Norwegian as the language I
study from a textbook before after finishing the Russian textbook and before watching
the Norwegian series. I'll keep watching 20 minutes of Norwegian and reading 10 pages
of a book, though. The experience with French shows that the number of pages read tends
to increase as it becomes easier.

Today I watched the second half of Himmelblå's S2E01. I didn't manage to find text
subtitles, which means I'm reading the hard-coded subtitles with little problem, almost
fluently! I only paused 3 or 4 times and looked up some words that I did find
important, but the rest is getting incredibly familiar.

As for the book, I'm taking a break from philosophy by reading a children's bool, Kurt
blir grusom. Already got the animated movie, which I may write with subtitles in
Portuguese so that my wife can join it. The good news is that I got one more audiobook
with text, Beatles from Lars Saabye Christensen. I'm considering not getting any
translations, even though I found the kindle edition in English. I suspect it won't
really be necessary and I'll be able to keep the pace of 10 pages a day with no
burnout.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5089 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 336 of 338
27 December 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
So, time to quote myself and do the evaluation for 2014:

Expugnator wrote:

*******TAC ANNOUNCEMENT****************************************

I'll be doing TAC 2013 for Norwegian. I'm at the great Team Viking, together with team
leader Julie and godmother Solfrid Cristin.

I have a very specific goal which is of gaining basic passive/reading fluency in
Norwegian. I really want to be able to read Norwegian novels, starting with
contemporary ones such as these by Jostein Gaarder, but going back to the classics
even, as well as fairy tales. Maybe I'll achieve this goal before the end of the year.
Like I said, reading is the main objective but I will still be doing a lot of listening
and will try to do some writing as well.

Currently I only have 30 minutes a day for studying Norwegian. I've added it as a
fourth language after Chinese, Russian and Georgian. Therefore, I only use one textbook
at once for Norwegian, which limits the skills that can be trained each day. Even so, I
plan to alternate books that focus on conversation and those that will provide me with
a more solid knowledge of grammar. Due to time constraints, I won't have time to attack
native resources, which I would like to be doing by now. I'll try to reach the natvie
textbooks soon, though. So, here's the path I've covered so far.

Le norvégien sans peine
Hugo's Norwegian in three months

Now, the next moves:

- Teach Yourself Norwegian
- Colloquial Norwegian
- Teach Yourself Norwegian 1944 or 1967 edition (I don't mind the spelling, I want to
train grammar and specially translation)
- En, to, tre

Then come the monolingual textbooks. I'd rather skip Linguaphone unless I need
extensive listening by that time. I'd like to pick textbooks published in Norway, I
just don't know which order I should follow regarding levels.

- Ny i Norge
- Norsk for utledinger
- Norsk for utledinger 2
- På vei
- Stein på stein
- Bo i Norge
- Her på Berget

Then I think I'm done with textbooks =D I might insert some grammar in between, like
Norwegian: an essential grammar and Norwegian verbs and essentials of grammar, as well
as the more thorough Norsk Referansegrammatikk.

I have to say I'm quite happy with what I did for Norwegian in 2013 and I think my
mission is accomplished. I'm at a consistent B1, even though I still haven't actually
spoken yet. I've finished all those textbooks and two grammar books, plus a whole
podcast series. I'm writing dialogues on my own and making some mistakes, but the
result is still understandable. Read 4 novels including one with L/R.

The routine has changed a lot, so now I can say I spend more than the 30 minutes I
mentioned, but it is all about native materials. I read about 10 pages and watch 22
minutes of TV series each day. I'm really enjoying the TV series I've been watching.

My goal for next year is basic fluency, and I'm going to measure it basically through
being able to watch TV without subtitles. But more of this at my new 2014 log !
Looking forward to meeting you all again there!

Edited by Expugnator on 27 December 2013 at 7:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version