France
Joined 4575 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 169 of 338
25 January 2013 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It's one thing to know that "archaic"/outdated forms exist (at least to have seen them, to recognize them when you hear them/see them), but it's not the first time a course presents information which might only confuse the learner.

If (and that's a big IF) learners of Norwegian would use "De", what would your reaction be?

That they use De in a course from the 1950's is perfectly normal, but I agree that a new or updated course should take such language developments into accout.

If a learner of Norwegian would say De to me, I would just assume that he does not realise that Norwegians don't use that form any more, so I would most likely tell him that it sounds strange and "archaic". I certainly would not be offended.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5102 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 170 of 338
27 January 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Today I could do five beginner's challenges for the Viking team! I'm glad I found time. I
figured out it was pushing too much if I sticked to my schedule on a Sunday, and I
decided I'd do extra activities I don't normally have time for, like watching TV series
and doing the challenges. Btw, I also heard some Norwegian at a Skype session with
Cristina, Jack and tarvos, and it is not difficult to understand the words!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5102 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 171 of 338
28 January 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I've joined a Norwegian Skype Chat but people don't write bokmaal there at all! I hope I
can find some Norwegians and voice talk with them, because otherwise the text chat is
pretty much useless, it confuses me more than it helps me at this stage. People seem to
love writing everything from Norwegian dialects to nynorsk to other Scandinavian
languages, but bokmaal.
1 person has voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4809 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 172 of 338
28 January 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
That's weird, considering that about 2 million Norwegians speak something that can be
represented rather well with Bokmål. Are you sure they're not just awful at writing?
Some people can't spell decently even if their lives depended on it.
There are some people who write in their dialect, some people from Trøndelag throws in
a bunch of /j/s and /i/s to denote pallatalisation, which is a bit pointless in my
opinion.
What kind of skype chat was it?

Have you considered forums? For instance diskusjon.no has discussions on a range of
topics, and most people write bokmål, and writing in dialect seems to be a bit frowned
upon there; a bit like using txt spk on an English language forum.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6165 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 173 of 338
29 January 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
... Btw, I also heard some Norwegian at a Skype session with
Cristina, Jack and tarvos, and it is not difficult to understand the words! ...

awwwww man!!     If you guys do this again please let me know! I'd love to join in! :-)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5066 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 174 of 338
29 January 2013 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:

...some people from Trøndelag throws in
a bunch of /j/s and /i/s to denote pallatalisation, which is a bit pointless in my
opinion.

I don't know that I would consider this pointless. You can, after all, understand it,
can't you? I mean, if you recognize that it's different and can still understand it,
it's just more exposure to the language, which happens to include these differences.

At least in my experience, seeing these differences is an every day thing when it
comes to chat, or Lang-8, for that matter.

R.
==

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4809 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 175 of 338
29 January 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
stifa wrote:

...some people from Trøndelag throws in
opinion.

I don't know that I would consider this pointless. You can, after all, understand it,
can't you? I mean, if you recognize that it's different and can still understand it,
it's just more exposure to the language, which happens to include these differences.

At least in my experience, seeing these differences is an every day thing when it
comes to chat, or Lang-8, for that matter.

R.
==

I also know where to place the palatalisations anyway, and it varies from person to
person; the numbers of j's and i's also seems to be opposite proportional to how well
educated that individual is - ok not exactly, but...
It is also very irregular, and varies a lot. I can recall that it was much more common
a few years ago, though.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5102 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 176 of 338
29 January 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
At the chat there's everything: those people who add j's to denote palatalization, those
who write nynorsk, those who write dialect...everything but bokmaal. I know exposure will
help me understand, henry, but it's not something you need high exposure for, it's
similar, after all. OTOH, it does confuse me when it comes to remember the proper
spelling of new words I come across. As I said, there's NO bokmaal at all. Only recent
learnera use bokmaal spelling.

This discussion contains 338 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version