Groupie
United States
Joined 4089 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese, French

Message 169 of 255
04 April 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
My opinion is that you really don't need a perfect native-like accent. For some people, that's going to be impossible. However, you should have a comprehensible accent.
Using English as an example, imagine a Canadian, a Briton, an Australian and an American all talking to each other. Each of them will have an accent, however they'll all understand each other more or less minus a few regionalisms, and slang words.

If you have a perfect accent but have a low level of comprehension people will most likely think that you're mentally challenged to be politically correct.
On the other hand, no matter how fluent you are in English, if your accent is horribly thick, people will not take you seriously even if your writing, use of colloquialisms and expressions surpasses theirs'. This is especially true for minorities and people of other races. If you are Caucasian, they'll give you more leeway and assume you're European or something.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 170 of 255
04 April 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
wber wrote:
If you have a perfect accent but have a low level of comprehension people will most likely think that you're mentally challenged to be politically correct.

This is not really a scenario many people need worry about. It might happen to people who grew up with a language but lost most or much of it. In any case, I would certainly not recommend they worsen their accent on purpose; this is a problem of profiency, not pronunciation.
1 person has voted this message useful

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4395 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 171 of 255
14 April 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I think people often confuse "accent" and "pronunciation". Some people get so caught up in imitating natives that they don't learn enough words to say anything meaningful!

For me, "accent" is the way you sound when you speak, whether speaking your native or a foreign language.

"Pronunciation" is the way you pronounce the words in your language. Most people who learn a foreign language will never sound like a native, and indeed would be wasting their time if they tried to do so.

What we do when we learn another language is develop our own range of sounds which vary with each word we pronounce. They may not be the same as native speakers, but if they are at least close to the way native speakers of our L2 are used to hearing it pronounced, there will never be a problem with comprehension, except perhaps when differentiating between subtle sound differences in certain languages.

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 172 of 255
14 April 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Most people who learn a foreign language will never sound like a native, and
indeed would be wasting their time if they tried to do so.

Because they can't, or because they didn't go about doing it the right way?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 173 of 255
15 April 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Can they, if they give two hoots about it? ;)

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 174 of 255
15 April 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
I think people often confuse "accent" and "pronunciation". Some people get so caught up in imitating natives that they don't learn enough words to say anything meaningful!

For me, "accent" is the way you sound when you speak, whether speaking your native or a foreign language.

"Pronunciation" is the way you pronounce the words in your language. Most people who learn a foreign language will never sound like a native, and indeed would be wasting their time if they tried to do so.

What we do when we learn another language is develop our own range of sounds which vary with each word we pronounce. They may not be the same as native speakers, but if they are at least close to the way native speakers of our L2 are used to hearing it pronounced, there will never be a problem with comprehension, except perhaps when differentiating between subtle sound differences in certain languages.

I agree. To me, accent and pronunciation are different things.

Pronunciation is the way you voice individual words whereas accent is the cadence of your voice and the way it rises and falls during conversation. It is perfectly possible to achieve good pronunciation yet still have an obvious foreign accent.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 175 of 255
15 April 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
That would be intonation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 176 of 255
15 April 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
That would be intonation.

I was going to say exactly the same thing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version