Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 177 of 255
16 April 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Do we really want/need to keep redefining terms?

Arekkusu wrote:
Medulin wrote:
That would be...

I was going to say exactly...

It all boils down to:

NewLanguageGuy wrote:
[...] people often confuse "accent" and "pronunciation" [...]

...and many other concepts too, because people don't usually bother to check if words really mean what they think, as one should do before talking about stuff. After all, dictionaries are more at hand in this time and era than ever before, aren't they?

Quote:
[...]Some people get so caught up in imitating natives that they don't learn enough words to say anything meaningful!

I'd bet that's one of the most common problems in people's native tongues too, even if trying to get a 'perfect native' accent is not the cause/a hurdle there ;)

3 persons have voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4487 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 178 of 255
17 April 2013 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Actually, it's prosody, not accent. "Accent" is not different from pronunciation. Accent is just pronunciation that is different from your own/what you're used to/what you consider "standard".
2 persons have voted this message useful

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4565 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 179 of 255
19 April 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Call it whatever you want, I find that if you have a native or near-native accent in a
language, you can get away with minor grammatical errors and such without native speakers
noticing or caring. On the other hand, when you have a non-native accent, they notice
every single mistake and they're more likely to correct you.
5 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 180 of 255
19 April 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:
Call it whatever you want, I find that if you have a native or near-native accent in a
language, you can get away with minor grammatical errors and such without native speakers
noticing or caring. On the other hand, when you have a non-native accent, they notice

This definitely reflects what I've seen at French meetups. People with very good accents can get away with even pretty basic grammatical errors, and native speakers just don't seem to notice.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5014 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 181 of 255
19 April 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
[...]People with very good accents can get away with even pretty basic grammatical errors, and native speakers just don't seem to notice.

I'd think that's because typically most native speakers don't care much about / are not very good at grammar either. However, a foreign accent is immediately noticeable for everyone and kind of sets off a 'monitor mode' for those who can spot errors.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6760 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 182 of 255
19 April 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, a good accent helps keep the locals from switching to English. When I
studied abroad in Germany, there were several people in my program who spoke fairly good
German but with a thick American accent (including the English retroflex R). They
complained that shopkeepers, etc., would respond to them in English, despite their best
efforts. Even though my German at the time was much worse, I never had anyone respond to
me in English. I suspect it was because my accent was better than theirs, since it
certainly wasn't due to my mastery of the grammar or vocabulary.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 183 of 255
20 April 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
The importance of a good accent depends on the language:
1. Native speakers of English can often understand the thickest accents
2. Native speakers of Mandarin, Cantonese and Korean, normally, don't/won't understand you if your accent/pronunciation is less than satisfactory.

Edited by Medulin on 20 April 2013 at 7:24am

casamata
Joined 4050 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 184 of 255
20 April 2013 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
lecavaleur wrote:

Yeah, sometimes it would be great to have an AMAZING accent. I don't know many folks that are equally good at pronunciation and grammar; unfortunately, I fall into the latter camp. :(

But usually people that are fluid, have a large vocabulary, and deep understanding of grammar have good accents, right? That's what I've observed, at least.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version