Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 241 of 255
28 April 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
garyb wrote:
In French, a good accent is key to being taken seriously by
native speakers and not having them switch to English

Unless in Paris or another tourist area, this is very unlikely to happen. The average French person "on the
street" will only attempt English if it is clear you really cannot understand anything.

Even then, there is a good chance their English will be no better than your French. English just doesn't seem
to be widespread in France at all.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 242 of 255
28 April 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Even then, there is a good chance their English will be no better than your French. English just doesn't seem to be widespread in France at all.

Maybe it depends on where one is in France. During a 2 week visit to Provence last year, English was available in basically every hotel and restaurant and shop we visited. This seemed to be partly a matter of age. Generally younger people seemed to have more of a grasp of English. I only met one middle aged woman in the middle of no-where who said she spoke no English. That was okay, I of course used my French on her.

This isn't to say that the French were all speaking English, but only that a traveller who only knew English wouldn't be as lost as I'd imagined before the visit.

Edited by luke on 28 April 2013 at 9:54pm

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4259 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 243 of 255
29 April 2013 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
You are talking about people working in the tourist industry in a touristic region while Newlanguage and Beano were talking about "the average French person on the street". That probably explains the difference in perception.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 244 of 255
29 April 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I did ask a man on the street for directions and after a bit of French, he did help me in English. There was a clerk in a grocery store who was pretty out of her element in English and my French was not precise enough to get exactly what we were looking for (I forget what it was, but something very specific - this wasn't it, but instead of just eggs, fertilized organic eggs with dark shells size jumbo). She did grab a coworker and we found they didn't carry what we were looking for.

I'm sure English is pretty much a requirement for someone to work the front desk at a nice hotel in Cannes. Similarly, a professional waiter knows he can serve better knowing some English.

We had a cooking lesson in a 2 star Michelin rated restaurant, and all of the chefs who worked with us (about 5) spoke very passable English. By no means were they all bilingual, but one in particular was very interested in learning English terms for his craft. I remember he wanted very much to know the word "pan" and to pronounce it correctly. Oh, and when he put together the words pan-cake, pancake! he was in heaven for a little while. He enjoyed learning English as much as we enjoyed learning his culinary art.

Of course for an English speaking couple in a cooking lesson, they wouldn't have put us with a chef who knew no English, but passable English seems to be not uncommon in Provence these days for people who work with the public. At least, from a managing perspective, the restaurants, hotels, shops, etc were apparently making an effort to have English covered.

But back to the topic, most of the French have French accents.

Edited by luke on 29 April 2013 at 10:25am

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 245 of 255
29 April 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I was just speaking from experience. In particular, I've been to a quite big music festival in France three times now, and I was surprised at how well the majority of the French people I met there spoke English, and of course at the same time disappointed that they mostly didn't take my attempts at speaking French seriously and replied to everything in English. This was mostly younger people (18-30). Yes, for the most part they certainly weren't at the advanced standard of people you'd meet in the Netherlands or Scandinavia, and they did have strong French accents, but they were very good at getting their point across and had a very reasonable vocabulary. And even if my French was technically better (in terms of vocabulary and grammar) than their English, they still insisted on English, and I think my accent was the main reason for that. I did speak a lot of French with one girl, but it seemed to take a few minutes to "convince" her, after which she finally admitted that my French was quite good. I get the feeling that if I had had a better accent, that "convincing" wouldn't have been necessary... but I'm just hypothesising here. There were a few people who knew no English but they seemed to be the minority.

That said though, almost all the shop attendants, barmen, waiters, and railway station staff I spoke to replied to me in French. So my experience is that socially, people are more likely to switch to English, but professionally, they tend to stick to French, and it's the social experiences I was referring to in my reply. Which is the opposite of what one might expect...

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 246 of 255
29 April 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:

That said though, almost all the shop attendants, barmen, waiters, and railway station staff I spoke to replied to me in French. So my experience is that socially, people are more likely to switch to English, but professionally, they tend to stick to French, and it's the social experiences I was referring to in my reply. Which is the opposite of what one might expect...

Maybe you should politely bat aside the replies in English, explaining (in French) that while in France, you prefer to speak French, and that if they come to visit you in your homeland you will gladly speak English all day with them. It's surpising how often this approach works.

Edited by beano on 29 April 2013 at 1:51pm

ling
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
Joined 4374 days ago

61 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian, Thai

Message 247 of 255
29 April 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm told my Thai pronunciation is very good. But I'm still at a relative beginner level
(A2). I've found that having too good an accent can be a bit of a curse. People expect my
Thai to be much better than it actually is.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 248 of 255
29 April 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
ling wrote:
I'm told my Thai pronunciation is very good. But I'm still at a relative beginner level
(A2). I've found that having too good an accent can be a bit of a curse. People expect my
Thai to be much better than it actually is.

That's a lot more motivating than the consequences of the reverse.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version