Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
361 messages over 46 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 ... 45 46 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4918 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 241 of 361
27 December 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:

Okay, I'll make the thread. You're doing just Georgian this coming year?

As far as TAC goes, yes, although my main focus will actually continue to be Turkish.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5161 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 242 of 361
27 December 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Alright! Here is the thread - Team ɬ is in action. I hope the name's okay by you. I'm not sure how easily I can pronounce it, but if I ever tackle Greenlandic it'll be necessary.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4918 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 243 of 361
27 December 2011 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
Alright! Here is the thread - Team ɬ is in action. I hope the name's okay by you. I'm not sure how easily I can pronounce it, but if I ever tackle Greenlandic it'll be necessary.

The name's good for me. I'll get going on creating my log.

Thanks.

R.
==

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5616 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 244 of 361
27 December 2011 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
You can count me in on the Japanese team again this year. :) I'll also be doing Esperanto, French, and German
again in 2012.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4585 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 245 of 361
27 December 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Hi! I hope you're all enjoying the holidays! I'm new here, and am being extremely motivated by this forum. I
would love to join the TAC 2012, ideally on a team. Here are my plans:

Languages I plan on studying: Japanese mostly for the first half of the year, Russian in the second, while
maintaining Japanese. I might also be able to do some light Russian studies in the first half alongside
Japanese, depending on my schedule. If I'm able to meet my goals with both languages, I plan to also study
German, French, Dutch, or Swedish, with German or French being the top contenders. But the main focus
will be on Japanese and Russian.

Current level in target languages: total beginner in both Japanese and Russian. Have been watching
anime/movies/drama in Japanese, and my ears are already accustomed to this beautiful, musical language.
That means I can breakdown what I hear into words, and I recognize some words and phrases. But this is all
just due to media, I've never done any studies in the language. As for Russian, nothing mentionable. But I'm
determined to tackle these two beautiful languages. I've studied both French and German in the past to B1
level, but rapidly forgot most of what I know. However, they're not alien to me. I can tell individual words when
I hear them spoken, not an unintelligible jumble, even if I can't understand most or anything of what is being
said. I really want to focus on them again, this time seriously, and to fluency.

Goals: B2 going onto C1 in Japanese by the end of the year. Same for Russian. I know that doesn't sound
very realistic, but setting tough challenges motivates me, and I love challenges. And who knows, I might be
able to. The glass is always half full, not empty, I like to think :) as for German, French, Dutch, or Swedish,
this will depend on my progress rate with Japanese and Russian, but I definitely plan to make time for them.
I'll be able to gauge it more accurately when I've fallen into study mode.

Teams I want to join: I'd love to be on the Japanese team, encouraging others , bouncing information and
ideas off of each other, and make lasting friendships. I would also love to join SolfridChristin's team for the
Russian focus, in addition to the the German, Swedish, and French knowledge or goals the team members
have. Same goes for the social aspect as for the Japanese team. I'm not sure if it's okay to be on both, and
also because I'm starting Russian in June/July. I'd love to do that, though, if it's alright with both teams. If not,
then count me in on the Japanese team, but it would be such a loss not being with the Russian one too. Both
teams have members that have truly inspired me in the past couple of months when I discovered this
awesome forum.

I hope I hear good news soon. I'm just so excited!

Good luck to you all with your challenges, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! :)

PinkCordelia
Diglot
Wales
Joined 4599 days ago

31 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Welsh

Message 246 of 361
27 December 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
So welcome to "The Romantics". And, will you keep your language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29640">log?

Yes I will as soon as this christmas business is over

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 247 of 361
27 December 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:

I hope I hear good news soon. I'm just so excited!
:)

If you can bring motivation and guts enough to try to study Japanese and Russian from beginner to C1 in one year, and some other languages as well, then you are most welcome. All you have to do is to announce yourself in the Russian thread, and start your own log (one of two?) and of course read your team mates' logs and give encouraging comments.

My only reservation on your part (or with anyone joining two teams) is that it can be a full time job for you to read and comment on the logs of all your teammates if you choose to be on two teams, as both of them are becoming fairly large. Being on two teams and not having time to participate properly, will be frustrating both for you and those on your team. If you feel confident that you'll have enough time then welcome!

I'll look forward to having someone on the team who at least for the moment knows less Russian than I do, as everyone else on the team is at a higher level. I hope we can inspire each other! Kind regards, Cristina

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 27 December 2011 at 10:50am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5873 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 248 of 361
27 December 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
You can count me in on the Japanese team again this year. :) I'll also be doing Esperanto, French, and German
again in 2012.

I'll add you to the list! φ(◡‿◡ )ノ

g-bod- (Japanese..)
sunja- (Japanese, French, Turkish, German)
Brun_Ugle - (Japanese)
pineappleboom (also on the Romance Slavic Team, French and Russian)
fortheo - (...)
kraemder - (...)
Everplayer - (Japanese, German)
The Real CZ - (...)
Takato - (Japanese, German, Spanish)
leisaowns - (Japanese, Mandarin, French, Modern Standard Arabic)
Luai_lashire - (Japanese, Esperanto, French, and German)
Woodsei - (Japanese, Russian...)

Woodsei you're sure welcome to join the Japanese Team い! Solfrid Christin is right, it can be a full-time job checking out everybody's logs, but Pineappleboom is also doing two teams, so it can be done. BTW I like what you say about "bouncing information and ideas off each other"! That's what it's all about!

Edited by Sunja on 27 December 2011 at 2:29pm

This discussion contains 361 messages over 46 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version