432 messages over 54 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 432
18 January 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
And a star for each 5 books/2000 pages? Why not :-)
But then we should list pages (and minutes) on the front page. It's quite discouraging to be listed with zero books when you've read 300 pages already, especially if those were actually 2-3 books.
1 person has voted this message useful

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 10 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I'd be interested in the 100 book/100 film challenge, but this would be my first one, so not real sure how achievable
it really is for me. As I'm more of a reader than a film/TV watcher, more reading time works for me. But then again,
a push to watch/listen more is not a bad thing...

As for length of books, the 100pages/book thing makes it elegantly simple, IMO. Is there an equivalent for films?
I.E. a "film" equals one hour, or 100 minutes? And forgive a perhaps silly question (I have read past challenge posts,
but there are so many at this point!), but does intensive listening (i.e. - not background) to podcasts or the radio,
also count for films, or is it only visual media?

Whatever is decided, I think it's a great to get to the next level of any language.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4313 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 11 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And a star for each 5 books/2000 pages? Why not :-)
But then we should list pages (and minutes) on the front page. It's quite discouraging to be listed with zero books when you've read 300 pages already, especially if those were actually 2-3 books.

I agree. Whether we define a book as 50, 100, 400 pages, people will care about the pages they've read.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5175 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I see three different models, given that a lot of people has mentioned that the reading part was a lot harder to fill.

A) We keep the current requirements 100 films and a 100 books/10000 pages.

B) We keep the 100 books but we double the amounts of films (100 books, 200 films)

C) We keep the amount of films but half the amount of books ((100 films, 50 books).

I think (B) is the best option, keeping 100 pages = 1 book unit. I really think it will get too messy & confusing if we try changing a book unit to something else.

I agree with emk that it's too easy to neglect listening while wrestling with the number of books for the challenge, and 200 films is very doable over 20 months. It's 10 films per month, or 2-3 per week. Even for a busy person, that's pretty do-able.

As much as I think it would be cool for more people to be able to finish the challenge, I think option (C) takes the super out of the Super Challenge. If you want to aim for 50 books (2 stars) instead of 100 for the challenge, then state your intention, and aim for that. No one will think less of you for that!

However, I think the original intention of the challenge was to push and motivate you past a certain point, and I don't think that 5000 pages of reading is enough to get you there. Although, don't get me wrong - even 50 books" is certainly a challenge, and if you read that much, you will certainly get kudos from me. :)

Btw - Cristina, you typed "total" wrong in the link on your first post. :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
VivianJ5 wrote:
As for length of books, the 100pages/book thing makes it elegantly simple, IMO. Is there an equivalent for films?
I.E. a "film" equals one hour, or 100 minutes? And forgive a perhaps silly question (I have read past challenge posts,
but there are so many at this point!), but does intensive listening (i.e. - not background) to podcasts or the radio,
also count for films, or is it only visual media?

Whatever is decided, I think it's a great to get to the next level of any language.
It was 90 mins for audio and podcasts, audiobooks etc definitely count. (my "films" are mostly football matches) Although really an audiobook is much more "dense" than any film and imo 60 min should be enough. Like if we look at the Tadoku rules, it's 5 min for 1 page of subtitles. Even the slowest audiobooks cover more in 5 mins. No offence meant, but if you say that 90 mins of audiobooks equal a normal movie, you probably haven't listen to audiobooks all that much.

On a side note, a better term would be focused listening. Intensive is more about replaying small parts, rewinding, listening to the same text with a transcript, translation if available, working with the written text and finally aiming to understand everything without any of these crutches. It's useful, and that's pretty much what the audio lessons at GLOSS do, but it's pretty hard to quantify in terms of the challenge. I generally count each lesson as 3 pages of reading, but for listening it's too complicated to bother.

Edited by Serpent on 18 January 2014 at 6:26pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie, last time the majority of us signed up with at least two languages, and some a lot more *cough*. While this "Super Duper Mega" challenge is doable in one language, it's discouraging for those of us who feel burnout if we focus too much on one language.

I don't think it's messy to count the pages rather than "books".

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4313 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 432
18 January 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Serpent that anyone doing this challenge is going to count pages not books.

Kerrie wrote:

I think (B) is the best option, keeping 100 pages = 1 book unit. I really think it will get too messy & confusing if we try changing a book unit to something else.

I don't know anyone who would read 100 books in 20 months. That's more than a book a week for nearly 2 years, which is simply not realistic, especially for those learning foreign languages.

It essentially makes the word "book" meaningless. What about using the word "novella" instead? :) At least that wouldn't be misusing the meaning of the word. Or define book more realistically as about 400 pages, and then you have nice 10/100, 20/200 etc challenges.

Anyway, semantic rant off, we seem mostly agree on Option B in terms of length, and if people really want to be able to tell their friends they are reading 100 books in a foreign language then I am not going to argue, even if it's just a fiction.

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 January 2014 at 7:01pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5175 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 432
18 January 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I agree with Serpent that anyone doing this challenge is going to count pages not books.

Kerrie wrote:

I don't know anyone who would read 100 books in 20 months. That's more than a book a week for nearly 2 years, which is simply not realistic, especially for those learning foreign languages.

That's why I said book unit. It's just a way to simplify counting pages - at least in my mind. And reading 10,000 pages in your target language is supposed to be a challenge. A SUPER challenge. That's the whole purpose of this thing. There are lots of different challenges here (and on other sites), and everyone can go with what works best for them and their situation and goals.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version