432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 377 of 432
26 April 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
This is not related to the rules, so I'm not sure if it's the right spot for this, but...

I've noticed quite a few people on the signup thread mentioning they'd like to get recommendations from other SuperChallenge participants for materials in specific languages. I know (from personal experience) you can comb the logs and the long threads of posts for these, but that takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

Would the Wiki be a good place to put all this together in one location? Maybe a page of "Resources for Challenges" for the individual language (with beginner, intermediate, advanced, and different categories such as films, series, audiobooks, novels, non-fiction, podcasts, maybe a comment?, etc.) I'm thinking the wiki would be good because multiple editors could add to the page, but it's all in one place. And it could be referenced not just for Super Challenge, but for other challenges, or just for people looking for tips.

Just an idea, if anyone has a better idea, please, please suggest it. I have never tried adding anything to the wiki, so also is what I'm suggesting above even feasible?
There are some useful links here.
The issue with producing an "official" classification is that we all need to agree on it. But there's huge variation, e.g. for Spanish, native speakers of English, Russian, Mandarin, French and Portuguese will all have different opinions about what counts as easy. Another factor is of course your tolerance for ambiguity (do you need to understand 90? is 50% okay? anything in between?), and then there's also your understanding of linguistics.

However, be sure to check out the 2013 stats and see what people actually read. If something looks interesting, run a search or ask the member about it. If you're going to use the twitter bot, you can also follow other participants on twitter and see what they are reading.

Edited by Serpent on 26 April 2014 at 4:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 378 of 432
26 April 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
This is not related to the rules, so I'm not sure if it's the right spot for this, but...

I've noticed quite a few people on the signup thread mentioning they'd like to get recommendations from other SuperChallenge participants for materials in specific languages. I know (from personal experience) you can comb the logs and the long threads of posts for these, but that takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

Would the Wiki be a good place to put all this together in one location? Maybe a page of "Resources for Challenges" for the individual language (with beginner, intermediate, advanced, and different categories such as films, series, audiobooks, novels, non-fiction, podcasts, maybe a comment?, etc.) I'm thinking the wiki would be good because multiple editors could add to the page, but it's all in one place. And it could be referenced not just for Super Challenge, but for other challenges, or just for people looking for tips.

Just an idea, if anyone has a better idea, please, please suggest it. I have never tried adding anything to the wiki, so also is what I'm suggesting above even feasible?

Last time (if I remember correctly), we had a thread for each language represented in the challenge, for the purpose of sharing ideas, triumphs, problems, etc. I found the French thread to be very helpful, and I got a lot of good ideas for both watching and reading from the thread. I like the wiki idea, because it takes on a sort of permanence, but organising it could be quite difficult. As Serpent points out, opinions vary on things like ease, usefulness, etc.

I think the simplest arrangement would be to have a reading page for each language, and a listening/watching page for each language. What an item actually is (e.g. podcast, audiobook, novel, BD, etc) could be listed first in the description. Resources on the page could be arranged by title (or maybe author) rather than by difficulty, but descriptions would explain details related to difficulty. For example "uses a variety of difficult tenses", is what I've heard about Le Petit Prince. "Generally uses common vocabulary, but occasionally has unusal idioms" would be in my description of Le Petit Nicolas. Desciptions would be more helpful than a difficulty level anyway. Although comments about the intended age group would probably be appropriate. For example, the back cover of my Le club des cinq books say that they are for "8-12 ans".

Having said that, we as a group are used to making threads. Most of us have less experience editing wiki pages. But if there was a person willing to be a curator for each language, they could compile the material from Super Challenge language threads, and anyone could add further details. I have only ever edited a wiki page once, but I'd be willing to have a go at being the curator for the SC French language resource page.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3795 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 379 of 432
26 April 2014 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:

I've noticed quite a few people on the signup thread mentioning they'd like to get recommendations from
other SuperChallenge participants for materials in specific languages. I know (from personal experience) you
can comb the logs and the long threads of posts for these, but that takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

Would the Wiki be a good place to put all this together in one location? Maybe a page of "Resources for
Challenges" for the individual language (with beginner, intermediate, advanced, and different categories such
as films, series, audiobooks, novels, non-fiction,

I agree with having something like this. I started a thread,   
Super
Challenge Free and Legal Books
. just as the website went down
trying to capture the various (legal) resources out there. I found
several older threads that I included as links that, in my opinion, should have been made a stickie (perhaps a
link from the wiki as well) that our rich in resources. I'd be glad to continue to add/edit this thread until a more
permanent solution is reached.   

Link:   http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/ forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38575&PN=1&TPN=1#497692

Edited by Mohave on 26 April 2014 at 7:10pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 380 of 432
26 April 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I found the resources thread from the last Super Challenge. It was one thread for all languages, not a separate thread for each language.
Super Challenge Recommendations

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 381 of 432
26 April 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it's linked on the wikia page I posted above :P

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4216 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 382 of 432
26 April 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I was one of those people that said I was looking forward to other people's recommendations, and the thread Jeffers
linked to is exactly what i was referring to. Putting something on the wiki would be great though, and would save
picking things out from a long thread (and waiting for every page to load! the forum is so slow for me today.) I'll
definitely contribute to that.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 383 of 432
26 April 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
I'm just wondering if we should start a new recommendations thread. Mohave's list is useful, but limited to free resources. Old links such as Serpent points us to have their use, but the point of a thread is current discussion.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4410 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 384 of 432
26 April 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Ok, well, putting my money where my mouth is, I just pulled recommendations off the recommendation thread from Jeffers. The hardest part was actually waiting for the thread pages to load and getting an error, but it was pretty easy to build some simple tables in the wikia itself.
And made a generic "these are good in any language" one for things like Harry Potter, Agatha Christie, etc. (but maybe these don't need mention). I did find on the wikia a lists of TV series and a list of books with unabridged audiobooks.

Let me know what you think... I am willing to take on building a page for the various languages (once they are all listed), but the content would have to come from all of you, so it needs to be super easy to use. It's all here somewhere on the forum, but digging for it can be difficult.

Multilanguage

Wikia: SC recommendations in Spanish
French
Polish
German
Dutch
Chinese
Latin
Japanese
English
Russian
Norwegian
Korean
Esperanto
Romanian
Italian

Edited by BAnna on 27 April 2014 at 2:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version