United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 353 of 432
24 April 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
I do think it would be cool to specify if we are aiming for a half, full, or double challenge. It would give people an idea of what we're aiming for, and I think it would help keep things in perspective.

Especially when Serpent throws out 2500 pages of reading English and gets the first star. hehe
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 354 of 432
24 April 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Mohave wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Dang... I just can't wait!
(How sad is that, LOL).

I'm with you! I am excited and ready to start now!!!

Well guys, it s just a week left :-) Stack your materials, and get ready!!

Cristina, let us start a week early! It will give us a bit extra time, too. It might make a difference at the end for
someone finishing or not! Please, please. :)

Sorry, no can do :-) You can start reading, to prepare. But you still have to read it again after May 1st to make
it count :-)

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 355 of 432
24 April 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I have already started (but not recording it). Since I didn't do the previous challenge I've spent this week, and probably next trying to get in what I've calculated I need to hit the Full Challenge target in both my languages. Just to see if the theory is manageable.

My plan is:
Mon (French Day): 45 minutes Film/TV (I mostly watch TV series), listen to 2 x 1 hour podcasts (but I'll only count this as 30 minutes, because I cannot listen "intensively" in the car), Read for 1 hour (8-10 pages at my current reading rate).

Tue (Mixed French / Italian Day): 45 minutes Film/TV (Italian), Read for 1 hour (10-12 pages at my current reading rate (Italian)), listen to 2 x 1 hour podcasts (counts only 30 minutes)

Wed (French Day): Same as Monday
Thu (French Day): Same as Monday
Fri (Italian Day): Same as Tuesday
--------
Weekday Subtotal = 3.5 movies in French, 1 movie in Italian, ~30 pages of French, ~24 pages of Italian

Sat (French Reading Day): Read until I have completed 60+ French Pages. Watch 45 minutes Italian.
Sun (Italian Reading Day): Read until I have completed 60+ Italian Pages. Watch 45 minutes Italian.
---------

I figure this schedule would net me ~108 books in each language and ~135 movies each language, and an additional ~100 - 150 of audio (mixing up between French & Italian depending on what needs more care and attention).

So if life interrupts me, I should have a fair buffer built up in 3-6 months, and I'm obviously hoping to ramp up my reading speed a lot.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 356 of 432
24 April 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I do think it would be cool to specify if we are aiming for a half, full, or double challenge. It would give people an idea of what we're aiming for, and I think it would help keep things in perspective.

Especially when Serpent throws out 2500 pages of reading English and gets the first star. hehe

Ahem no. As could be seen during the previous challenge, I'm against having a sprint and then doing nothing in the language for months. For me this challenge is about consistency. If I have a relatively small goal, I'll still spread it out over the course of the challenge.

One star is 1250 pages btw.

I'm also far more excited about the stuff I got for German. Even kinda thinking of making it my 6WC language.

Edited by Serpent on 24 April 2014 at 12:49pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 357 of 432
24 April 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm replying here because the other thread is supposed to be just for registration.
Jeffers wrote:
There is a challenge which promotes massive input. The six week challenge allows you to study just about any way you want. You win by clocking time, so the more massive your input the better you do.
Except that people complain when someone clocks too many music hours. Although this challenge is a great example of how a great idea has evolved into a great, flexible challenge.

To clarify, I'm not asking for my Scandinavian challenge to be officially accepted or something. I'm just honestly saying that I'm not expecting to complete anything but Swedish. The way I see it, by not stating my real goals I'd be giving reasons for criticizing my approach. I'm still haunted by the goals I didn't meet last time and now I'll make sure to set realistic goals from the beginning. For me that's much better than landing on the moon if I was really aiming for the stars. And I'm also doing what I need in order not to let the challenge take over my life again. To stay sane, heh.

Monolingual textbooks count, btw.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 358 of 432
24 April 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

That's a very good reminder. I've been considering something in the CLE grammar series, like Grammaire progressive du français, for some time. Maybe now is the time to finally get one. But there are too many to choose from!

Edit:
There's the Grammaire series, with 3 levels. But there's also Phonetique Progressive, Communication Progressive, Vocabulaire Progressive, Litterature Progressive, Conjugaison Progressive and Civilisation progressive. All with three levels. Anyone have a clue about which ones are good, and any help for choosing a level?

Edited by Jeffers on 24 April 2014 at 5:52pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4453 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 359 of 432
24 April 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Ah good. I have access to 3 of those. I might count the Minna no Nihongo Japanese-only
main text books too if I can't find enough material, but I think those I would derate by
50% for each full page read.

Although, now that I sit down and calculate how to fit everything in, I think that time
rather than materials will be the main restriction!

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 360 of 432
25 April 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Just to make sure I understand the rules;

A full challenge is 150 hours of film(90 minutes x 100 films = 150 hours) and 50 pages is a book x 100 = 5000 pages or is it 100 pages equals a book and therefore 10000 pages?

Thanks.

También, para las personas que hablan español, ¿lo que los libros me recomiendan?
Pero, leo como un niño, pero, voy a releerlos cuando entiendo más. (I'm sure I butchered that badly. I mean to say that I will reread the books in the distant future when my understanding increases).
¡Gracias!

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version