Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28 ... 53 54 Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4234 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 217 of 432
10 April 2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
What about the conversations? Will they be part of the official challenge? If not, will
we at least get stars on the bot for conversations we complete?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 218 of 432
10 April 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
That's about LR though, not subtitles. You can count the subtitles the way you'd count them as book pages.

This reminded me that there is some precedent in this question. Somebody asked at the beginning of the last super challenge if they could watch in one language and read subtitles in another language, and count however many pages the subtitles added up to. Solfrid's answer was no, you can only count one activity at a time.

EDIT. Here's a sports analogy: if you win a triathalon, you can't say you won three races. You get one medal.

Edited by Jeffers on 10 April 2014 at 4:57am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 219 of 432
10 April 2014 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:
What about the conversations? Will they be part of the official challenge? If not, will
we at least get stars on the bot for conversations we complete?

Solfrid's most recent summing up of the challenge is on:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37888&PN=1&TPN=13

She said it is back to films and books. She added (point 4) that if Surrealix is willing, the bot could still count talking and writing, but they wouldn't count for winning. I assume that would mean no stars, but you would still get a tally on the bot.

While we're discussing what counts and what doesn't, may I also remind people of what Solfrid said about listening (same page, message 101):
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Any viewing in the TL counts, but if you do listening it would have to be intensive to count. Having the radio
on in your TL while having a family dinner would typically not count.

Edit: and while Serpent disagreed a couple posts later with the use of "intensive" here, the example Solfrid gave should make it clear she means we should be focused primarily on the audio if we are to count it.

Edited by Jeffers on 10 April 2014 at 5:04am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 220 of 432
10 April 2014 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
EDIT. Here's a sports analogy: if you win a triathalon, you can't say you won three races. You get one medal.
Or it can be said that on average you were the best in three kinds of sport (among the people competing): swimming, cycling and running. Had to look that up. Your weaker points in one sport were probably compensated by the strong points in another.

And wasn't it you who said "you don't have to win it, the biggest competition is against yourself etc". Indeed, it is. In the beginning I found Italian-Polish LR challenging and at the end I did Italian-Danish. Multilingual LR rocks.

Do you have a link? I was definitely following the whole discussion but I'm sure I've never seen this.

As for disagreeing, well, the question was about intensive vs extensive. And comparing that with multilingual LR is very much unfair. Audiobooks are much more "dense" than movies. If you go by the Tadoku rules, then each minute corresponds to 2x more text. And if you try this you'll see that multilingual LR requires more breaks and pausing than even classic LR, let alone movies/audiobooks.

Edited by Serpent on 10 April 2014 at 5:42am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 221 of 432
10 April 2014 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
   Multilingual LR rocks.

Nobody is saying it's not a great technique. I've tried it, and it was both hard and
rewarding.

But it seems to go against the spirit of this particular challenge.

I'm not a big movie or tv watcher either, so it's going to be hard for me to pick one
target language. I can, maybe, finish the reading in three languages, but there's no
way I could watch 300 movies in 20 months, in any language - even English. I am going
to struggle just to watch 100 shows in one TL.   

A lot of us are going to have to make these choices, but I think it's better to keep
the challenge rules simple and clean rather than accommodate all of us. We'll just
have to choose.

Edited by kanewai on 10 April 2014 at 6:27am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 222 of 432
10 April 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Well, I don't think it's a challenge if it discourages going out of your comfort zone. But how about scaling it down at least, like counting only 1 hour per 90 min or whatever? Especially since I assume the half challenges still have to include both listening and reading.

What's it in the spirit of this challenge that makes it different from the 6 week challenge?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 223 of 432
10 April 2014 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
@JohannaNYC: Conversations and writing is not part of this challenge.

You are free to record it, if Surrealix is ok with it, but it will be entirely for your own pleasure. But do remember
that if it is important for you, then do record it, this challenge is not meant to take over your life. You record
some things for the challenge, and then you can on your own add whatever is right for you. It just won't be
part of the challenge.

As for listening/reading one will have to chose one of the two languages. Of course the easy way out of this,
is to listen to it twice, and focus on the reading in one session, and on the audio in the second session. That
is fair, and that would count.

But it is not possible to focus 100% on two things at the same time. Even we women can't do that :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3733 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Studies: French

Message 224 of 432
10 April 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
I've skimmed this entire thread. My understanding is:

Start date: 5/1/2014
End date: 12/31/2015
Pages: 5,000
Movies: 150
Tracking will be by Twitter bot.

Do I have it summarized correctly? If so, awesome challenge, although the crazy in me would prefer 10,000 pages!

Edit: correct I wanted to say movies.

Edited by rlnv on 10 April 2014 at 7:07am

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version