Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 53 54 Next >>
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4979 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 65 of 432
30 January 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
maydayayday wrote:
What does Phil (Surrealix) say he can do with the bot?
Here is the latest post from him. As far as I understand, everything that can be formalized and assigned values should be no problem to implement.

It seems like everyone wants the stars, which is great. I think the major question right now is whether we'll have standard goals/what to display in the "recommended pace for meeting your goals" part. I think it makes sense to limit it to the coming 6 months and display the amount you need to read/watch in order to get one more star within this period of time. A custom calculator would be time-consuming to make (though not difficult per se I think), and well we all have calculators anyway so this seems like overkill. But I wouldn't want to lose this feature (de facto or completely) just because other people will be aiming for more (and some of them will still do less than me even in my lowest priority language).

edit: also, if we specify our levels, I'd like the option to leave it blank. I think it matters mostly when you're in the A-range or C-range, so somewhere between B1- and B2+ is the default.

Thanks Serpent - I haven't decided what Languages to include in my challenges yet: so I've got a couple of months to decide and get myself to a point where I can read half decent material......
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 66 of 432
30 January 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I have to disagree, Serpent. 2 pages might not be enough for a Super Challenge, but it
corresponds to almost 10 Assimil lessons, and aboout 4, 5 Living Language lessons of
actual, native content. Especially when read intensively (which is the case with
Papiamento though not always with Georgian). Apart from 2 pages I also do 2-5 minutes of
audio for Papiamento.

I'll have to check bookdepository :) Well, if I can sign up for a full French and a half
Norwegian challenge, I see no problem, as it is what I'll be doing anyway. Most people do
challenges and join consistent threads in order to keep track and keep themselves
motivated, but I have a rather stable routine myself and since it's multilingual I think
I already do the tiny bits I can handle.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 67 of 432
30 January 2014 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Sure, whatever works for you. I just mean that the "do something every day" thing is overrated. It's good for unmotivated beginners, but if you already speak the language, it's much better to have longer sessions. Honestly if I tried to read a book in such small portions, I'd spend way too much time remembering what happened during the previous pages :/
5 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 68 of 432
30 January 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Ah I get what you mean. I don't know, I like it this way because surprisingly it helps me
keep focus. The sessions do get longer when the level goes up and when the priority does
too. In the case of audio, I do get long enough sessions. It's just with reading that I
prefer to take small chunks. Even outside languages, I usually grab two books and read,
like, 5 chapters from each, alternating.

In what concerns the SC, I do 20 French pages a day and I think it's a maximum, even if
it means 60 pages a day then resting for three days. It's as much as I can usually take
and I don't think I could do this with English, for instance. And I rarely read 20 pages
a day from non-language books in Portuguese either. I may read, at most, 80 pages a week.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 69 of 432
31 January 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to sign up for Spanish and Catalan, but do you need to have a Twitter account to do it? Twitter's blocked in China and i'd really rather not have to deal with that.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 70 of 432
31 January 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'd like to sign up for Spanish and Catalan, but do you need to have a Twitter account to do it? Twitter's blocked in China and i'd really rather not have to deal with that.

No, it's not obligatory. It is for the convenience, something sums up the numbers for you and lets you know how far you are and how far the other are. But you can participate without. Last time,I kept just a word document and my log and counted the progress every once in a while myself.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 71 of 432
31 January 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Cool, thanks. That's what i did a few years back with a 50 books, 6 months challenge i made. So you can count me in for Spanish and Catalan, time to put my new e-book reader to use!

Ironic
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4388 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 72 of 432
02 February 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I like the idea of B) after all it is a super challenge. The 100 pages is one book unit
thing I like and the stars I like as well. I'd definitely like to do a SC for Spanish
this year. Sounds like a good challenge.

Edited by Ironic on 02 February 2014 at 8:16pm

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version