Super Challenge discussion thread 2014

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 51 ... 53 54 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 401 of 432
29 April 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps this is an unnecessary question, but anyone have any advice on twitter etiquette of how often one should update their super challenge stats? For books and stuff it's easy enough to simply update how many pages once you've finished.

But I also plan on doing daily movie study in Anki with my Subs2SRS deck, and I won't have any clear start or end point for any film, just how many minutes I study each day.

Would be it be annoying if I added my Anki Subs2SRS minutes every day? That would be the simplest way for me, but I could also record them in a spreadsheet and then update every week or month instead.

Edited by YnEoS on 29 April 2014 at 6:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4946 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 402 of 432
29 April 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS- It depends. Do you have a lot of followers that you think you'd annoy? My twitter
is for my blog, and while I don't have any followers yet because I'm still working on
building up my blog I certainly hope to have followers by the end of 2015 so I'm only
updating once a month.

If you don't have too many people to bother, though, you might be okay doing it daily.
Especially if you're tweeting other things daily as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 403 of 432
29 April 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Ahh sorry, I should've mentioned I don't really use twitter and I created a separate account for the super challenge. So mostly asking about bothering all you other super challenge participants.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 3989 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 404 of 432
29 April 2014 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
If I remember well, last time some participants even updated several times a day. I never felt bothered by that - noone is forced to read all those tweets...

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 405 of 432
29 April 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I am wondering what's the best practice when it comes to counting "watching" with anki. When you mentioned it before, I was under the impression that when you finished studying a film you would count that film (I didn't read it very carefully).
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 406 of 432
29 April 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I read Cristina's post at the Registration thread and I was wondering: Was there a
place where people evaluated their progress and achievements altogether at the previous SC? I'm really
curious as to what the SC can do to my stagnated French.

Some spoke about it during the challenge, in the update thread. I did not finish my French challenge, but I still
saw extreme improvements. I am sure that so will you :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 407 of 432
29 April 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I am wondering what's the best practice when it comes to counting "watching" with anki. When you mentioned it before, I was under the impression that when you finished studying a film you would count that film (I didn't read it very carefully).

When I brought it up before, I asked if I could count minutes spent studying in Anki rather than minutes of the actual film. And on Anki's stats page it conveniently lists how many minutes I spent studying a certain deck for the day.

My reasoning basically is that people are allowed to count books that they re-read each time they read them, and with Anki I'm essentially re-listening to a movie over and over again until I understand everything. I don't have any "production" cards so everything is listening comprehension, I just listen to the line several times as just audio and contextualizing image, then reveal the target language subtitle and English translation and listen to it a few more times. If I understand a line just from hearing it I mark it as pass and move right along.

If there are any pauses where I'm not listening to audio in my studying, they're much shorter than dialog-less portions of films I would sit through watching them normally.

Edited by YnEoS on 29 April 2014 at 10:43pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 408 of 432
29 April 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I am wondering what's the best practice when it comes to counting
"watching" with anki. When you mentioned it before, I was under the impression that when you finished
studying a film you would count that film (I didn't read it very carefully).

When I brought it up before, I asked if I could count minutes spent studying in Anki rather than minutes of the
actual film. And on Anki's stats page it conveniently lists how many minutes I spent studying a certain deck
for the day.

My reasoning basically is that people are allowed to count books that they re-read each time they read them,
and with Anki I'm essentially re-listening to a movie over and over again until I understand everything. I don't
have any "production" cards so everything is listening comprehension, I just listen to the line several times as
just audio and contextualizing image, then reveal the target language subtitle and English translation and
listen to it a few more times. If I understand a line just from hearing it I mark it as pass and move right along.

If there are any pauses where I'm not listening to audio in my studying, they're much shorter than dialog-less
portions of films I would sit through watching them normally.

I am afraid this is a little too far out compared to the intention of this particular challenge. You can count it for
the 6wc, but Anki studying instead of watching films for the Super Challenge? Nope.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version