Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 305 of 432
19 April 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I think it was stated that there would be no book only or film only challenges, so I assume a
half challenge means half of books + films. That's going to be a problem for my Ancient Greek, but at least I
will be able to log and track my reading!

And there's the point. You can't actually sign up for a book-only or a film-only challenge, but you can sign up
for a challenge and only do that half. It's not like signing an organ donation card, which leaves you with the
risk of them coming to your door to collect!

I assume audio books in Ancient Greek are not exactly common? :-)

I mentioned in the signup thread that there is audio of someone reading the entire Green New Testament. While it's great that someone made all that effort, she has such a strong American accent that I just couldn't use it (and I'm American myself).

I'm still waiting for someone to dub Troy in Ancient Greek....
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 306 of 432
19 April 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Have you checked project gutenberg and the like? I know this sort of sites has recordings in Old English and Latin.

Edited by Serpent on 19 April 2014 at 8:03pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 307 of 432
19 April 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Not the cheapest but looks like you could get 60+ hours of ancient greek audio from Stephen Daitz recordings.

[Disclaimer: No idea what the quality of these is like or even if this is the best place to purchase them]

The Pronunciation and Reading of Ancient Greek

The Iliad of Homer
The Odyssey of Homer
Selections from the Greek Orators (Demosthenes, Gorgias, Lysias)
Plato's Portrait of Sokrates (Apology, Krito, Phaido)
Euripides' Hekabe
Aristophanes' Birds
A Recital of Greek Poetry

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 308 of 432
20 April 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
@YnEoS: I strongly recommend that you sign up for a regular full challenge only now in the beginning, and
that you change it to a double later if you see that this is feasible. I do not know if the bot can handle double
challenges, but Surrealix has been absolutely wonderful in making magic with the bot, so I would not be
surprised if it could.

@Serpent: Since the bot handled half challenges before, I suppose it could, but again, this is something
Surrealix would have to answer :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 309 of 432
20 April 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Yeah but does he know that you changed your mind about abolishing all the different types of challenges and decided to keep the half/full distinction?
Also how will the ribbons be handled now that you've made the change? 2 half challenges equal one full one?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 310 of 432
20 April 2014 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah but does he know that you changed your mind about abolishing all the different
types of challenges and decided to keep the half/full distinction?
Also how will the ribbons be handled now that you've made the change? 2 half challenges equal one full one?

I do not know if he knows, but he tends to follow the discussion fairly closely. I'll have to get back to you on
the ribbons. Fortunately I have 20 months to think it through :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 311 of 432
20 April 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Well but it has to be consistent with how the ribbons for the previous challenge are handled.
Anyway, I tweeted @ surrealix about this and about accessing the forum :-) Just hope he'll see that. I've already tweeted at you and @langchallenge but seems like neither of you noticed :)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 312 of 432
20 April 2014 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
Do any of you experienced Super Challengers have any advice on how to try and pace yourself? Do you try to hit the average amount of pages you need every day, and expect it to just get easier as you get faster at reading? Or do you try to start going above average to build a safety buffer against days when you're more busy/tired? Or is your process much looser than that?

I planned and planned how I *wanted* to do it, and the schedule I *wanted* to follow, but the best advice I have is JUST DO IT.

Yep, I stole that from Nike. :D

Pick something interesting somewhere near your current level, and dive in. Depending on your level and the material you pick, you will have new words. Maybe lots of them. Look them up. Learn them - at least enough to recognize them. Whether you do that by writing out lists, Lingq, a notebook, post-it notes around your house, Anki, or whatever, just do it.

The more you read, the more words you will come across. And if you are reading books you will come across the same words over and over again. It's how authors work. Learn them, at least enough to recognize them when you see them.

Then, you will notice - it is like magic - it will get a little easier to read. (This has a lot to do with how many words you have just learned!) And as you move onto other books - ones that are harder, or are in a different genre, or just moving on to another author, you will learn more words.

That's what worked for me, anyway.

I don't know - maybe a schedule will help you. Some people live by them. My life is unpredictable, so nothing ever goes according to plan. :)

Don't be disappointed if you can't get through 5% of the reading the first month though. Your reading will improve A LOT over the course of 5,000 pages, so you will be reading faster and easier by the end.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version