justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5181 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 313 of 432
20 April 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
@YnEoS: I strongly recommend that you sign up for a regular full challenge only now in the beginning, and that you change it to a double later if you see that this is feasible. I do not know if the bot can handle double challenges, but Surrealix has been absolutely wonderful in making magic with the bot, so I would not be surprised if it could.

It would be really nice (eventually, once Surrealix gets to it) if we could sign up for a Double Challenge as well. I want to sign up for a Double for Spanish for sure, and I'm aiming for that for French as well.

Well, whether or not it is an official option, I will do it anyway. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 21 April 2014 at 1:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 314 of 432
20 April 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I planned and planned how I *wanted* to do it, and the schedule I *wanted* to follow, but the best advice I have is JUST DO IT.

Yep. Life is what happens to you when you're busy making plans.

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4390 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 315 of 432
21 April 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
So as many of you have already noticed, the language challenge twitter bot is now up
and running for the 2014-15 challenge :-).

It works the same way as last time, but if it's the first time you've done the
challenge there are instructions on the bot's homepage -
www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com
There are a few features still missing from the bot and the webpages, but they'll be
added soon.

I expect things to run more smoothly than last time, but there might be a few small
bumps as we kick off and I discover that the bot crashes when you use transliterated
Bassa in book titles, or some equally obscure problem. So if you see anything unusual
happening with the bot, shoot me a PM here, or contact me at philip@surrealix.com

Otherwise, good luck with the challenge!

Serpent wrote:
I've already tweeted at you and @langchallenge but seems like neither
of you noticed :)

@langchallenge gets so many thousands of tweets that I don't read most of them. The
best place to reach me on twitter is at either @surreal_lang or @philipbuchanan .

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I do not know if the bot can handle double challenges, but
Surrealix has been absolutely wonderful in making magic with the bot, so I would not be
surprised if it could.

@Serpent: Since the bot handled half challenges before, I suppose it could, but again,
this is something Surrealix would have to answer :-)

Yes, the bot could handle half challenges - I noticed the new registration talked about
this, but I assumed this was tied in with the 50-books per star thing (or ribbons, or
whatever they were). I might have to go back and re-read some of the thread. Given the
simplification of challenge types I'm not sure what registering for half/full/double
challenges would change?* If there's enough interest though, I'll add this back in.

*(The books/week calculation was going to be the number required to reach the next
star, so it's not dependent on any challenge type or goal.)

I've only got sporadic internet access at the moment, so I'm keeping an eye on things
but either way I won't be making any major changes until the end of the week ;).

Edited by surrealix on 21 April 2014 at 1:26pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 316 of 432
21 April 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's nice to state officially what you are aiming for and to sort the chart by challenge type. I'm glad you liked my suggestion, but it was basically an attempt to make up for not having half-challenges. (also, the original idea was about calculating this based on the next 6 months only, as long as there's more time than that left until the end of the challenge. but I'm fine with any options that won't give you discouragingly high numbers) As you can see in the sign-up thread, many are registering for half-challenges.
As for stars, with the half-challenges back in play I think they'll mostly matter for those who complete their challenge and want to get more stars in a custom way.

Edited by Serpent on 21 April 2014 at 2:53pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5005 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 317 of 432
21 April 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I just come over all excited. Don't actually need another language but .....
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 318 of 432
21 April 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Just in case: it doesn't have to be a new or non-fluent language.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 319 of 432
21 April 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
surrealix wrote:

Yes, the bot could handle half challenges - I noticed the new registration talked about
this, but I assumed this was tied in with the 50-books per star thing (or ribbons, or
whatever they were). I might have to go back and re-read some of the thread. Given the
simplification of challenge types I'm not sure what registering for half/full/double
challenges would change?* If there's enough interest though, I'll add this back in.

Since the star system is going to be used, it might not really matter to implement the half/full/double option. Obviously, people would like to show their interest, but if it's more work it could be skipped. Especially as so many of us have registered already, it might get complicated. Also, our intentions are registered on the registration thread.

Surrealix, have you seen my request to add in ancient Greek?

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4390 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 320 of 432
21 April 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Surrealix, have you seen my request to add
in ancient Greek?

Yes. I can't add it right now, but it'll be in the list before the
start of may.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version