Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 137 of 432
13 February 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Do your cards contain small bits of audio/video? If they're text-only I think it's best to count them for reading.
if you want a more sensible answer, tell us more about your watching process :-)

Cristina, I thought of one more loose end: what about the recommended pace? ie in the 12/13 challenge, you'd be shown stats like "2 books per month" [to complete the challenge]. I'd really rather not see that calculated based on the official goal - how about showing the recommended pace for reaching the next star within 6 months? (obviously when there's less than 6 months left until the end of the challenge, display it for the remaining time)

I am afraid this is outside my field of expertise - I have nothing against your proposal if Surrealix is fine with it, but that one is not my call.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 138 of 432
13 February 2014 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Point 7. I think it would make more sense if we all listed our levels - even if it is just an estimate. If you know you are an A1-A2 you are less likely to lose confidence even if you are a slow reader, if you see that your faster reading competitors are at B2. In reading speed, the difference between a low A2 and a high B1 can be major.
The tricky thing is that the levels can vary between the skills. I agree that it should be recommended to list your level if it's below B1 or above B2, but I think these two should be considered default.

BTW it might also be a good idea to list our native language. With my Croatian it's more relevant than my actual level in the language, for example (which is one of the most difficult to figure out).

If we make it mandatory for everyone, I think we should use something more simple than CEFR.

As for the pace calculator, well, it's still you who chooses. Do you agree that calculating based on the official goal is demotivating for those who are satisfied with fewer stars? I'm not surrealix but afaiu the change should not be difficult.

Edited by Serpent on 13 February 2014 at 1:37pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 139 of 432
13 February 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice, Serpent and kanewai If the reading is now officially cut by half,
I think I can do normal challenges for French, Georgian and Norwegian, plus a video
challenge in Mandarin. I do agree that video is hard to do than reading because it
requires a TV or a device with internet.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 140 of 432
13 February 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Audio also counts though.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 141 of 432
13 February 2014 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Point 7. I think it would make more sense if we all listed our levels - even if it is just an estimate. If you know you are an A1-A2 you are less likely to lose confidence even if you are a slow reader, if you see that your faster reading competitors are at B2. In reading speed, the difference between a low A2 and a high B1 can be major.
The tricky thing is that the levels can vary between the skills. I agree that it should be recommended to list your level if it's below B1 or above B2, but I think these two should be considered default.

BTW it might also be a good idea to list our native language. With my Croatian it's more relevant than my actual level in the language, for example (which is one of the most difficult to figure out).

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why?

Everyone is mature enough to choose goals acording their own level and difficulty of target language and they know both these things the best. No cefr or another scale needed. And no need to list it, in my opinion. Why? We read each others' logs and know these things, we don't (or at least I don't) consider some goals more or less valuable (oh, I am so pitoyable, I'm learning just easy european languages :-D ). A bot is a great way to easily track progress but why put there a lot of unnecessary info? Especially when it appears to need a new "scale" to be invented just for the challenge and more work from Surrealix who is already awesome and charitable to spend his/her time on providing us with the bot.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 142 of 432
14 February 2014 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
There are tons of existing scales we can use. I think we need something more simple than CEFR, but avoid words like intermediate and advanced because in terms of language learning they tend to mean a way lower level than they're supposed to be. Especially "intermediate" books/learners can be anything between A2 and B2.

But yeah, listing the native language is probably overkill. Although I'd like to be able just to state that I'm fluent in a closely related language.

As for logs, they generally reflect the process and not the results (apart from the initial posts and/or the evaluation at the end of the year but not everyone does that). Also, many don't bother to keep their profiles updated and detailed. Besides, not all participants are even HTLAL members.

Also I might be wrong, but I think that adding a column for the level should be far less work than rebranding all the half/major/movies only etc challenges as stars.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 143 of 432
14 February 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
What's the idea of listing our current language levels? To prove how much more fantastic we are if we complete a challenge than everyone else? Perhaps we should also have a mandatory listing of people's ages, employment status, number of young children, dependent older parent's, mental health status etc to make sure we know for sure how really big a particular challenge is. This seems especially important so we can prove how really fantastic our own language achievements are compared to everyone elses.

I enjoyed the last challenge, but since it's become apparent I was only doing the pathetic German challenge, I don't think I can be bothered taking part again this year.

BTW: Is is possible not to have the 'blue' completion tag next to my name? I did the challenge for personal reasons and really don't need this label next each of my posts. Perhaps the space can be used for someone else who needs it more.

Edited by patrickwilken on 14 February 2014 at 1:19am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 144 of 432
14 February 2014 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Is is possible not to have the 'blue' completion certificate next to my name? I did the challenge for personal reasons and really don't need this label next each of my posts. Perhaps the space can be use for someone else who needs it more.

haha. I did it for the challenge. Because it was one heckuva challenge!

And to improve my Spanish, of course. :)

I don't think THAT much work would have been worth getting a blue sign next to your name, but I bet the boost in your German skills was worth it, wasn't it?

I think you should still take the badge. It's cool to show what you have accomplished. :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version