Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 1 of 172
24 November 2008 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Well! Yes, another try.

So, my goals:

RUSSIAN
- Continue with my "Russian through literature" project and read, read, read, + my occasional grammar exercises, podcasts, music and movies. And Skype and Anki!
--> By the end of 2009 I want to be able to communicate absolutely freely online, and I have no doubts I will be able to achieve that. Also read without any problem.

HUNGARIAN
- Starting from scratch. I'll start out with Assimil and try to stick to that, BUT also focus on grammar and learn those conjugations and tables. My goal is to start reading as quickly as possible, and I have a bunch of books from my trip to Budapest.
--> Absolutely no idea, to be honest ^^

I will use lang-8.com to practise writing for both, as I already do for Russian.

NORWEGIAN
- Just practise writing. My understanding of Norwegian is fluent, but when I write it tends to get quite Swedified. At least one lang-8 post per week is minimum!

My starting date is the 25th of December.

Edited by tricoteuse on 25 November 2008 at 12:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 2 of 172
24 November 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
You are forgetting a couple of languages there :-P

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 3 of 172
24 November 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
No :P
French is just that background thing I do ^^

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 4 of 172
24 November 2008 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

No, no, I wasn't referring to French or Icelandic. Guess again :-P

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 5 of 172
25 November 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
tricoteuse wrote:

No, no, I wasn't referring to French or Icelandic. Guess again :-P

Is it that demonic language of YOURS you are speaking about? Hmmmmmm?
Well, okay... I maaay throw in trying to read something in *shudder* Italian!

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 6 of 172
25 November 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Now you are getting nearer to the target.

And what about that other Slavic language? We made a pact...

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 7 of 172
30 November 2008 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I'm very excited about Hungarian, as usual, but feel like I don't really have a good plan yet. Even though I don't care much for it, I got Pimsleur Hungarian when I just happened to stumble upon it, so I think I will include that in my studies as well.

I've been thinking about the Anki dilemma. I use Anki for Russia now with 20 new cards a day, but if I use it for Hungarian as well, I think I will have to decrease the number of cards to 15, and I would still end up spending A LOT of time on it every day. So... I'm thinking I may use the paper flashcards I bought in Hungary instead, as well as wordlists. Just to not get bored to death with Anki.

Does the following sound doable?

1 lesson Assimil every day
1 lesson Pimsleur every day

When Pimsleur is done, I move on to L-R with Pride & Prejudice, one of my favourite books that I have in English+Hungarian and for which I now also have the Hungarian audio and that I know by heart from reading the book at least twice and watching the BBC mini-series perhaps 10 times.

Now... I think I will just panick when I try to L-R. When I don't get at least 80% of what I am listening to I usually do, but has someone done this as such an early level and found it helped any?

I want to get a quite intensive start in order to build vocabulary as quickly as possible, since that is what I regret not doing with Russian.

By the way... is it ok to start on the 8th of December? Anyone?

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 

Message 8 of 172
30 November 2008 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Does the following sound doable?

1 lesson Assimil every day
1 lesson Pimsleur every day

My ideal - but I have different schedules, needs, desires than you, would be as follows:

1) skim through the Assimil book, learn about pronunciation rules and basic grammar. In addition, learn some common words. Thus, you won't start Pimsleur completely from scratch and it will be much easier, both for vocabulary and grammar. Pimsleur doesn't explicitly teach grammar and sometimes their examples are not enough to grasp the concept. Pronunciation rules will help too for the later passage from speaking to writing.

2) do Pimsleur. Don't look for transcripts of the course. At most, check some words in the dictionary. Its whole idea (good AND bad) is that you learn only by listening. It would be too "easy" if you had a written text to use too.

3) After Pimsleur - or alongside, but after a good amount of lessons - start Assimil in a "serious" fashion. At first you may find yourself at loss with the written text, but soon it will pass. You'll recognize most of the patterns and words from Pimsleur, which will make it a soft start. And I think that Hungarian is more phonetic than Russian anyway. Is it?

4) Scratch those three steps above if you will start to write on Lang-8 or chat or any other online activity with Hungarian. Pimsleur doesn't help much for that (again, depending on how phonetic Hungarian is).

Quote:
When Pimsleur is done, I move on to L-R with Pride & Prejudice, one of my favourite books that I have in English+Hungarian and for which I now also have the Hungarian audio and that I know by heart from reading the book at least twice and watching the BBC mini-series perhaps 10 times.

Now... I think I will just panick when I try to L-R. When I don't get at least 80% of what I am listening to I usually do, but has someone done this as such an early level and found it helped any?

That will be an interesting experience for sure! Volte has done that and learned amazingly much, at least in some languages. Being able to forget that 80 % and admit you are not in control of the situation will be an important (and difficult?) step.

Quote:
By the way... is it ok to start on the 8th of December? Anyone?

No wonder people complain about how this forum is going downhill. Even such a wonderful forumist as tricoteuse wants to take a jump start!

Edited by Leopejo on 30 November 2008 at 6:34am

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version