Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 153 of 172
28 September 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
According to my statistics, I spend an average of 50 minutes a day on 220 words.
How many cards I add really depends on how my hands are feeling (I can add Hungarian words without typing by spelling them out, but I can't do that for Russian) and lately, as in the latest months, I haven't been adding a whole lot of words. I started adding more once just recently. On average I have added nine words a day for my Russian deck since I started it 12 months ago. For Hungarian that number is eight words a day since 8, 5 months ago.
1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 154 of 172
28 September 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
That's impressive. 50 minutes a day for 220 words - I don't know if I will ever be able and willing of doing that. But chapeau!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 155 of 172
02 October 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I haven't done much since last time, however what I have done is great.

For Hungarian, I have continued working with the book I mentioned and I have added complete declination tables of pronouns for at least four cases, eight in total are used in the chapter I am working with and I added the ones I didn't already know.

For Russian I finally got a language exchange partner in Oslo! The exchange is Russian versus Norwegian, which is a bit dodgy since my Norwegian isn't really native but we had our first Norwegian session today and it went very well. Plus we are too good a match when it comes to interests, personality and so on to mind about that minor detail (she's even a true Northerner!). We spoke nonstop Russian for at least 1 1/2 hours yesterday and even though she speaks Russian as quickly as I speak Swedish, and we were in a very noisy place, I understood almost everything. We are going to meet twice a week :)

+ some podcasts, but who cares, language exchange partner is waaaay cooler :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 156 of 172
07 October 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
I can't really report much for Hungarian except for perhaps getting a language exchange partner there as well! We haven't met yet and we both have very busy schedules it seems so I will see if it works out. And Kisani here on the forum is starting a Hungarian study group so that will be interesting as well!

For Russian, I met with my new Russian friend on Monday and we looked through an essay I had written on Russian movies, some tongue twisters and generally spoke Russian!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 157 of 172
08 October 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Something happened to Oslo. I hear Russian at Uni and on the street every day. And I understand what they say 95% of the time! Isn't that some sort of breakthrough?
3 persons have voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5783 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 158 of 172
08 October 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
Isn't that some sort of breakthrough?

It sure is, congratulations Tricoteuse.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 159 of 172
08 October 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Hats off!

We are now waiting for Oslo to become half Hungarian as well.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6467 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 160 of 172
10 October 2009 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks good folks!

Today I worked with Hungarian while at work and finished the first chapter of the book I'm working with. It is something like 17 pages of exercises and texts so I am rather pleased. It really helps that none of the texts have anything to do with each other; I don't get bored. While doing my exercises I add all the new words to Anki. Yesterday I received a little Hungarian booklet from Romania and I added words from that as well, words such as "scientific review" and "ethnography" :-) I am now at 2252 cards for Hungarian.

I also managed to speak with Kisani on MSN in Hungarian yesterday which was fun, since it means I can actually use Hungarian (albeit slowly) to communicate in writing.

These last two weeks I have seen the Russian movies Маленькая Вера & Утомленные солнцем, both of which I recommend!

Edited by tricoteuse on 10 October 2009 at 3:21pm

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version