Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 73 of 200
15 February 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Lol, I think one of these days I'll try summing up the story in both new languages to punish myself. Now I feel a Star Trek: DS9 craving coming, it's a good thing I don't have it! I have to take care of those things during the holidays though, because they make me way too teenagey to teach.
I guess I should count some of the series I watch as study time though. Like, lately I watched The Wire, excellent for accents comprehension and the whole global comprehension thing. Also I like how sometimes they don't bother to say things, just sort of hum them (I used to be really careless about intonation, not anymore!)
So, who do I have to meet now? Qubazaa? Who else?
1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 74 of 200
15 February 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Monday, 02/15

- Lesson 30 of Princeton course+ anki catch-up (on schedule now)
- One lesson in LingQ (didn't do it yesterday) + anki catch-up (after more than a week, I had two hours worth, I did one. Tomorrow I should get back on schedule)

- 3 hours Russian
- 1.5 hour Spanish

Total:
49 Spanish
85.5 Russian

(I really have to learn from my textbook too, as that's the new grammar stuf, Princeton being mostly review, comprehension and accent practice.

Edited by joanthemaid on 15 February 2010 at 11:59pm

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5419 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 75 of 200
15 February 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Hey wow how did I miss your log! I keep seeing you posting to other people I read here so thought I would drop in to say hello :D Funnily enough it seems to be all an evil plan of Sprachjunge!

Yay for Buffy binges! Luckily my Buffy DVDs are 20,000km away so the temptation is lessened XD

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 76 of 200
16 February 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
02/16/2010

- Russian: 1 Princeton course (course 31 according to the file, 30 according to the audio), very short: 1.5 hours counting anki learning. It's a good thing it was so short, actually, as I started language study at 4:30 p.m.

- Spanish: Vocabulary from one LingQ lesson + catch-up + one hour of TV: one science show, Tres14, and one cartoon, "Las Tres Mellizas" (2 hours)

Edited by joanthemaid on 16 February 2010 at 9:40pm

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 77 of 200
16 February 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi Joanthemaid!

You are really taking great strides forward!
But if you try learning new parts of Grammar every day I’m afraid you'd sooner “annihilate” yourself than Russian. I studied it eight years at school and a year at university and still make occasional mistakes form time to time. Be patient. And by all means you need some more time to “digest” the former lessons. Anyway, IMO it's much more important for you not to forget adding a bit of new words on a regular basis than to speak / write without making mistakes and know all the rules right now. When you begin reading or/and listening even very simple children’s stuff you’ll see much more grammar patterns in action and will be able to recognize them in grammar courses afterwards as well. I can look for something funny for you if you like, by the way.:)

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 78 of 200
16 February 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Dantalian. Right now I'm not really worried about actually using grammar well, but more about knowing it at least in a passive way, i.e., understanding why things are the way they are, recognizing cases and aspects, not yet speaking without making mistakes myself. Basically my little manual is what gives me this knowledge, and the Princeton course teaches me to actually use these rules well as it has a lot of repetitive exercises that begin making things automatic. If you have interesting authentic material for me though, I'll be happy to try it. I'm not sure I understand enough yet to listen to random stuff though...

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 79 of 200
16 February 2010 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, why don’t you start with «Чебурашка» then?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICgWJ46_4E

The story is funny enough and it’s the first soviet animated soup opera as it is.:)) Later on you will probably understand why I call it so. The vocabulary is not too difficult. Also you can see yourself here a sample of "notorious" cursive handwriting :))

First five minutes:
-Оражес (illit. oranges). Апельсины.
-Опять чебурахнулся (coll. fell down). Фу ты, чебурашка какой.
-Что же мне с тобой делать?
-Не знаю.
(sign:закрыто, ушел в зоопарк)
-Вот.
-Не, эти-тo не пойдет. Неизвестный науке зверь (however, you should learn "этот не пойдет").
-Не знают куды его садить ( however, you should learn "куда его посадить")
-Мне нравится этот зверь. Он, ты знаешь, похож, так сказать, на бракованную игрушку.
-Будешь работать у нас. Стоять в витрине и, так сказать, привлекать внимание прохожих. Понятно?
-Понятно, а где я буду жить?
-Жить?Где будешь жить? Да хотя бы вот здесь. Это и будет твой, так сказать, дом. Понятно?
-Угу.(coll. Да)
(В городе жил крокодил по имени Гена. Работал он в зоопарке...крокодилом)
(sign: зоопарк закрыт)
----------------------------

If I were you I would try to identify the main forms of all unknown words and add them to Anki.
Feel free to ask any questions and don’t forget to correct my mistakes, please.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5237 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 80 of 200
17 February 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Joan you are kicking my ass heh. I´m lucky to get like 1 hour of Russian per day, which is usually just Pimsleur. Keep it up though

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version