Message 105 of 200
05 March 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
unityandoutside wrote:
joanthemaid wrote:
All in all, I studied Russian for 50 years this month, which is 15
less than in January

Man, if only I could figure out what your trick is :p

Really though, great log, keep it up!

Lol. Yeah, I do a lot of that. That might be because I usually write my log just before going to bed when I decide that any more studying would be forgotten immediately. It was 50 hours, of course
1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 106 of 200
05 March 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
March 5 2010
Spanish
- Aguila Roja capitulo 22
- Anki
2 hours

Russian
- A bit of review on aspects (lessons 15 and 16, Ya govoryoo...) and two small exercises. That part of learning Russian isn't nearly as difficult as I thought, I'm happy to say I'm doing pretty well at it.
- One hour of Russian/ French/English conversation with my Russian Skype pal and his roommate. Fun. Apparently I pronounce soft and hard consonants well and my mastery of declensions isn't as bad as it used to be. Plus we told very basic jokes, which means we're getting to an actually usable level.
- Tried to read a bit in wikipedia but I'm not nearly at that level yet: I still see more cognates than words I actually know, plus my reading is a bit difficult. Although I don't read P instead of R or things like that anymore, words of more than two syllables tend to just discourage me. There's just too much to process and too many unknown words. I'll have to get into reading at some point, after all it was my primary reason for learning Russian, but I think I'll wait till I have more vocabulary (probably around the summer vacations) to start. Right now it would be archaeology, not reading.
2 hours

This week has definitely been dominated by Spanish, but things should go back to normal now as there will only be one episode a week of Aguila Roja for me to watch. Quabazaa, I'd love to be able to discuss " Amar en Tiempos Revueltos" with you, but I'm afraid that would be the end of my Russian ambitions. Maybe during the summer holidays, when I have a lot more time.

So from now on, every day I can, I would like to: - Do one lesson of the Princeton Russian course
- Watch one short show in Spanish (like a 30-minute documentary, talk show or a bit of the news)
- Learn what I have to learn on Anki
- Do one lesson of my Russian book
(all in order of importance althoug if I only have 30 minutes I reserve the right to just watch a Spanish documentary as trying to start a Princeton lesson would be useless).
All that keeping in mind that a lot of the day, it won't be possible.

Total time spend:
Russian 120 hours
Spanish 92 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 06 March 2010 at 1:40am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 107 of 200
06 March 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I'm feeling sooo lazy... I only want to do passive stuff or conversation, not learn anything new. I will however finish the Princeton course, however long it takes. It's just so nice just being able to use a language as I do with Spanish TV or chatting with Russian people (even though we quickly run out of things to say that we can actually say). I just don't want to make the effort to learn anymore. That's fine with Spanish as all I have to learn is the frequency list, but I'm far from that level in Russian. So, this week-end I shall do two lessons of Princeton.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 108 of 200
06 March 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
March 6 2010

Russian
- Princeton course lesson 41 and caught up on Anki vocab as I hadn't worked on it in the last six days (baad girl). Chatted on skype, this chatting thing is really starting to become useful. I just don't want it to take up all my time, but for the moment it's fine.
4 hours

Spanish
- 30 minutes of Spanish news (I still think it's one of the hardest things to understand: they speak really fast and the pictures don't really help understand; it's much better when they're interviewing someone; though I'm starting to know the faces of the main Spanish politicians, it's sort of strange)
- Anki: learning 50 words and putting 120 in. I should get to 1,000 by the end of the month, easily.
1 hour

Total: Russian: 124 hour
        Spanish: 93

Edited by joanthemaid on 07 March 2010 at 8:05am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 109 of 200
07 March 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
March 7th

Russian
- Not quite one lesson (lesson 42) of Princeton. 1.5 hours

My work took me more time than I expected today, so I ended up without much time for language study. This is going to be a slow month I think. As I'm getting a visti by an instructor near the end of the month (I'm a teacher trainee), I have to be really serious at my job. Plus, one of my classes has an exam soon. So, gotta love those 40-hour weeks (I usually work a lot less than that and I'm not ashamed to say I'd like to keep it that way, sorry for those who work more).

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 110 of 200
08 March 2010 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
March 8 2010

Russian
- End of lesson 41 Princeton course + Listened to and repeated several times dialogue 42 but couldn't continue because I realized I didn't have the actual course file. And as I'm not on my computer I couldn't get it. So I ended up posting a text on Lang8 (below, no need to correct it as I put it on lang-8). It' my first (and feeble, but that makes sense) attempt at humour in Russian. I'm proud of it, as I hadn't written in a while and I think I've gotten much better. I can actually use the genitive now, although I've probably made a few mistakes, and I'm starting to know the different aspects (I'm really not sure about my use of them in this text, but I guess it's a start). So, :)

Я хочу плакать! Сегодня я очень хотела учить русский язык. Я кончила сорок второй урок курса принстона и начинала сорок третий урок, но у меня пе была курса! Толко диалог! По-моему етот курс очень хороший но уроки всегде! Перерутние! -вы понимаете? -
У меня есть ноутбук а у мой муж обыкновенный компютер. Но иногда он берёт ноутбук на работе и я оставу уроки в его компютер, чтобы заниматся во время его работы. A сегодня я это делала но один кусок курса было в различный файль.
Можеть быть, это не очень важно или плохо, потому что я никогда не пишу по-русски а сегодня у меня есть что, которoe написать. И по-моему я не очень холошо говорю по-русский но раньше былa больше хуже. И я знаю эт,о потому что я сегодня написала.

Добрый вечер и спасибо, потому что вы прочитали о моём скучном жизне! Вы очень отважние!

- Anki
Time spent: 3.5 hours

Spanish
- Some articles and videos on Women's day
30 minutes

Russian: 129 hours total
Spanish: 93.5

Edit: This is the first comment I got on Lang-8. I didn't understand all of it but I think it's nice. I think he's saying I tell the story well and he "sounds" amused. But then he says (correct me if I'm wrong) that the important thing is, I'm having fun with it. So does it mean on the pure linguistic level, I sort of suck? Anyhow, here it is:

Ноель))
Ты просто молодец !)
У тебя отлично получается, а эти мелкие неудачи существуют у каждого в жизни так что не надо расстраиваться)
Будь смелее) и не бойся
И кстати ты очень хорошо разговариваешь)

И самое главное С праздником тебя )) Ура)

Edited by joanthemaid on 08 March 2010 at 10:26pm

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 111 of 200
09 March 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
March 8 2010

Edit: This is the first comment I got on Lang-8. I didn't understand all of it but I think it's nice. I think he's saying I tell the story well and he "sounds" amused. But then he says (correct me if I'm wrong) that the important thing is, I'm having fun with it. So does it mean on the pure linguistic level, I sort of suck? Anyhow, here it is:

Ноель))
Ты просто молодец !)
У тебя отлично получается, а эти мелкие неудачи существуют у каждого в жизни так что не надо расстраиваться)
Будь смелее) и не бойся
И кстати ты очень хорошо разговариваешь)

И самое главное С праздником тебя )) Ура)

Ноель, Atta girl! Everything is OK and these minor setbacks exist in everyone's life, so you shouldn't feel upset! Reach for the sky and don't be afraid of anything at all! BTW, you are talking very well! And my best wishes with the woman’s day, which is the most important thing today! Hurrah!

No, there aren't any negative connotations on the pure linguistic level as such, just kind words and encouragement.

The only problem I can see in the text that the guy confused your name with French Santa Claus(Пер Ноэль). Your name should be rendered into Russian as “Ноэли” instead of “Ноель”. But highly probable he did not write that on purpose. Since the guy missed almost all the Russian punctuation, I assume him to be slightly drunk. And when guys are drunk they are normally exaggeratedly excited and fearless (or/and careless).:))

Edited by dantalian on 09 March 2010 at 9:45pm

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5237 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 112 of 200
09 March 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I can see you´re moving along quite well, keep it up!

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version