Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 9 of 200
30 December 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
30 december, 2009

Mid-day (2 p.m.):
Been very bad today, mostly procrastinating.
Answered an message in Russian on Lang8(very short) and corrected a bunch of French messages on there (have corrected five so far and only posted two so feel good about self).
Reviewed all the words due on Anki (more than one hundred will be due tomorrow, ouch).

-Did lesson 2 of the Russian Princeton course. Took a look (or a hearing) at lesson 3-4 and it's quite fun. Then again I found it funny because I got it almost at once ( :) ). If it's your first course you might not enjoy it so much. I like these courses but I think I might be spending too much time on them, considering I already know a lot of it (Lesson 3 was very long because of some really basic reading/pronunciation exercises which I might not have needed)
- NO Spanish! Except for Anki reviewing, of course. And this was supposed to be a Spanish day. Then again I never need to spend as much time on Spanish as I do on Russian so an hour or two tonight should be enough.

Going back to work on Monday with barely a week's worth of courses prepared (I teach English in Middle school). Meeting tomorrow with a colleague for some planning, so between that and New Year's Eve there won't be much time for studying. Will try to cram as much study as possible into the four remaining days of vacation but I'll also have to prepare courses and finish grading that stack of paper they dumped on me just before Christmas.
Break now. Will get back to you.

Edit:
11 p.m. Way later than I wanted to go to bed.

- Listened again to the Spanish text I did yesterday on LingQ and reviewed the new words and expression (I must have known well only about half of them. I should either slow down on Spanish or spend more time on it each day.)
- Finished reading "la impunidad de los poderoses" (in: "con los pobres de la tierra", rtv blogs.) Entered words and expressions into Anki. Quickly read the next article which is about the same topic. Think I will change topics though.
- Listened again to the next two dialogues in the Princeton course just to get the music of Russian back.
- Reviewed the third quarter of my first grammar book. I don't master it quite as well as the first half but well enough that it would be a waste of time to try to master what I haven't gotten yet. It'll come with practice I hope
- Spent an hour in Lang8 commenting and answering messages in both TLs, one of them the longest paragraph I've written in Spanish in the last six years and probably full of outrageous mistakes but happy anyway :D.
- Reviewed some more words on Anki
- Will listen again to some Russian before going to bed, hoping it sticks.
SLEEP. Getting up at seven tomorrow for work (preparation). So the morning is shot for study, and the evening as well. Yay for the afternoon!
Buenas noches todos!

Edited by joanthemaid on 30 December 2009 at 11:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 10 of 200
31 December 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
31 diciembre, 2009

Un día antes del oficiál empezo del TAC 2009 y todavía hay repasado mi vocabulario de Anki, y nada más. Voy a aprovechar el resto del día para acabar la revisión de mi libro de gramar rusa y quizás dar un texto de español. Estos días es más facíl para mi estudiar español por que lo ruso que ya estudio no es tan basico. Así todavía quiero:
- Terminar mi primero libro de gramar rusa y dar entrada en Anki al nuevo vocabulario o el del glosario que no recuerdo.
- Leer y escuchar a un artículo en español en RTV o LingQ y dar entrada a algunas palabras y frases.
- Si es posible, escuchar y dar la tercera lección de la clasa de ruso de Princeton que tengo gracias a Sprachjunge.

From now on this log will be in Spanish and English both. Natives or non-native speakers are welcome to comment on and correct any mistakes that I will most certainly be making (and have already made).
Eventually, maybe in the second half of the year, I'm hoping to be able to write this log in Russian as well. For the moment it is only bilingual, and here's the translation:

31 december, 2009

One day till the official beginning of TAC 2009 and today I have reviewed my vocabulary on Anki, and that's it. I am going to use the rest of the day to finish reviewing my Russian grammar book and maybe do a Spanish text. These days it is easier for me to study Spanish because the Russian I'm studying isn't so basic any more. So today I would like to:
- finish my first grammar book and enter new words and words from the glossary that I don't know into Anki
- Read and listen to an article in Spanish on RTV or LingQ and enter some words
- Listen and study, if possible, the third lesson from the Princeton Russian course I have thanks to Sprachjunge.

Edited by joanthemaid on 31 December 2009 at 3:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6963 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 11 of 200
31 December 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Hey there! To answer your question, when I first got the SRS software, I didn't read the user manual carefully--I thought it was just going to replace my physical flash cards. So I spent a week inputting 19/20 Using German Vocabulary book chapters in the system. Of course, the whole point is it's supposed to determine which cards you review, so that feature is a little messed up. (Kind of foolish of you, Sprachjunge.)

So I have to activate a given chapter manually. I can usually get through 50-70 words before I get antsy, or 20-30 sentences (but sentences are just passive recognition). But keep in mind that this is for German and Spanish so far. I'm still genuinely reviewing most Spanish words, and German is my bread and butter, so it kind of pushes me. With Russian, I too anticipate doing 10 words a day--20 tops. Haha when I get around to reading and writing.

By the way, your idea of a bilingual blog is cool. Oh, and I'm glad that you like the Princeton course! That's awesome that we're learning from the same course. When I have questions, I know whom I'll ask. :) Finally, "Gordo" is a freaking inspired name. My vote is definitely for "Team Gordo."

Keep up the good work yourself! Oh yes, we are definitely in it to win it.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 12 of 200
01 January 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
(Ruborizanda). Gracias para todos los cumplidos, Sprachjunge! No los merezco pero estoy agradecida que tu quisistes mis ideas. No pensaba que “El Gordo“ estaba tan bueno pero... bueno, gracias. Me haces optimista. Vale, vamos a ganar!
Ayer no estudié español y no cumplí lo que había dicho pero estaba el año pasado y el TAC ya no había empezado.

De todos modos quando voy a trabajar se va a haber muchos días sin español, y hastas algunos días sin Ruso. Voy a esforzarme en estudiar el Ruso como puedo, por que es más dificil para quien habla una lingua latina, y además no sé tanto Ruso como español. Así todavia voy a:
- Repasar vocabulario de ambas idiomas en Anki y aprender y dar entrada a diés o veintas palabras de ambas.
- Escuchar y leer a un artículo en LingQ
- Dar la primera lección del segundo libro de gramar rusa.
- Escuchar y aprender a la tercera lección del Princeton curso.
                                                                  _____________________

':) (blushing). Thanks for all the compliments Sprachjunge
Yesterday, I didn't do any Spanish so it's been the first day that I've failed to learn anything new in either language. Let's say it doesn't count because it hadn't started yet.
I any case once I'm working again there will be plenty of Spanishless days and probably even russianless days, although I'll definitely try to be good with Russian because it's more difficult for a Latin like me AND my starting level was much lower. Plus I have physical material whereas all of my Spanish sources are on the internet, except for one single book in Spanish which I have already read several times (Y no se lo Trago la Tierra by Tomas Rivera). So today:
- Anki reviews and 10-20 new words in each language
- An audio/written article in Spanish on Ling Q
- One lesson of my Russian book
- If possible one lesson from the Princeton course

A, y feliz 2010!

Edited by joanthemaid on 01 January 2010 at 3:57pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 13 of 200
01 January 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
Le ha dado! Hay solo dado entrada a 6 palabras rusas pero cuaranta palabras y frases españolas. El ruso estaba revista y hacio mucho vocabulario en español; el problemo es que en Anki no puedo aprender más de 20 nuevas palabras... Bueno, buenas noches todos, todavía no estaba un día terrible!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 14 of 200
02 January 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Hoy tenía que trabajar preparaciendo mis cursos para la escuala por que lunedi vuelvo al trabajo! No sé como voy a aprender ambas idiomas cada día cuando tengo que trabajar. Quizás solamente estudiaré una por día y sí otro la otra. Vale, hoy:
– Repasé mi vocabulario en Anki y aprendé las palabras españolas que no había aprendido ayer.
- Hice dos lecciones del curso de ruso de Princeton. Ahora finalmente puedo pronuncar el ruso casi correctamente. Cuando hablo muy, muy lentamente...
- Leí y escuché a el texto español de ayer, sobre las adventuras de un linguisto en China y como ello descubró china cuando fuí asignato allí. Ahí aprendió chino y logró fluidez, y además encontró a su esposa. Le dio el amor de las idiomas y todo su vida aprendí otras linguas y viajé por el mundo.
- Leí un otro texto en LingQ pero no di entrada de las palabras en Anki por que ya allí estan demasiadas palabras. Así les puse en como LingQs (no supe que estaba posible antes de hoy). Pero no les aprendí bien.

Dí mucho pero pienso que hubiera podido aprender más. Estaba cansada por que en el año nueve solo había dormido dos horas. No sé porque pero cuando no duermo bien no soy cansada el día después sino el día después de el. Es mysterioso...

Today I had to prepare my courses for my job because I'm going back to work on Monday. I don't know how I'll be able to study both languages every day, I might only study one per day and alternate. Anyway, today:
- I reviewed my vocabulary on Anki and learned the words I hadn't been able to yesterday
- Did two lessons from the Russian Princeton course. Now I can pronounce Russians sound about correctly, when I'm speaking very, very slowly...
- I read and listened to yesterday's Spanish text on LingQ. I'm not going to repeat what it's about as I did that to practice my Spanish. This isn't a direct translation.
- I read and listened to another, small text on LingQ and entered the words as LinQs instead of Anki words as I couldn't learn them for the moment anyway. My Spanish score at Anki is very low, I should slow down on Spanish and try to actually start learning new things in Russian for a change (I'm always in the green when reviewing Russian words these days)

All in all, I didn't do badly for today but I was a bit tired so I could probably have worked faster.

Edit: Oh, and I bought a headset with a microphone so in a few days I'll be able to chat online with my Russian buddy (who turns out to be Ukrainian, but he seems to have been speaking Russian to me. I know they're very close, but probably not that close, right?)

Edited by joanthemaid on 02 January 2010 at 10:39pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 15 of 200
03 January 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Cuando finalmente me ha habituado a un ritmo y puedo aprender un poco de ambas idiomas cada día, tengo que regresar al trabajo. Hoy fui un buen día para mis estudios:
- Estudié una lección del curso de ruso de Princeton. Dí entrada a catorce palabras en Anki pero me sentí frustada por qué con esto curso no aprendó nada nuevo gramaticalmente. Pienso que tengo que no hacer unas lecciones y porque no empezar con el secundo semestro del curso. Pero tengo miedo que voy a perdir mucho.
- Escuche y leí a una nueva lección de español en LingQ. El texto trataba de los muertes por sobredosis de drogas que van aumentiendo. Dí entra y aprendí más de veinte palabras pero la mayoridad estaban facíl. Sin embargo siento que me va mayorizandome.

Mañana trabajo todo el día. Estudiaré idiomas pero no tan que durante las vacaciones. :’(

Ya no voy a escribir en Inglés cada día sino solamente cuando siento que hay algo importante que decir.¡Lo siento!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 16 of 200
04 January 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Hoy solo estudió el ruso en el tramway, por qué trabajé todo el día en muchos logras diferentes y pasaba mucho tiempo en el tramway o esperando por pequeñas periodas de tiempo. Dí une lección del libro de gramar rusa sobre el vocabulario para decir exactamente donde son las cosas. Estoy realizando que no le sé en español. Sé “cerca de “ y “lejos de“ pero nada más exacto. Tendré que aprenderlo. También dí entrada a 20 palabras de ruso y les aprendí y revisté a las otras palabras de ruso y español en Anki. Pero no aprendí nuevas palabras de español. Mañana tengo que aprender más español pero es posible que podré dar un poquito español también. Le espero...
2 horas para ruso
30 minutas español

Edited by joanthemaid on 04 January 2010 at 10:24pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version