France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 89 of 200
21 February 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
02/21

Russian: One Princeton lesson (35, very hard one, especially understanding it, I gave up on detailed understanding and had to look at the text. Or maybe I wasn't in it)+ listened again to all dialogues from the beginning. It's fun to see how simple the first one were. No anki, ouch! =3.5 hours

Spanish: One episode (Episode 1, I found it!) of Aguila Roja+ anki = 2.5 hours

Total:
Russian: 98
Spanish: 56 hours
It's starting to be quite impressive, isn't it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6975 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 90 of 200
22 February 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
They are starting to be quite impressive. :) I wrote something in my log, but thanks again for your note. Concerning your English: Yes, it is motivating because your written English is great and very natural, so if you say that you overcame a possibly weaker beginning, I believe you.

Also, I think our team is starting to specialize: we have you and Bramsterdam holding down the fort for Russian, I'm focusing most of my energy on German, and Icaria909 seems to be concentrating on Spanish.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 91 of 200
22 February 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Russian:
- Lesson 36 of the Princeton course + anki. The fourth chapter is definitely harder, there is more new vocabulary in each lesson and I don't master the grammar it covers, although I technically know some of it. I'm doing all right but the comprehension and dialogue learning part of each lesson is taking much, much longer than it used to. I don't actually learn the dialogues by heart, actually, but I want to be able to reproduce them looking at the English translation and sometimes actually know them for a little while. I could barely say it looking at the English translation today, and the lesson took me 3 hours to learn and do the exercises. Strarting to feel that "Princeton" is the operative word in "Princeton course". I'm hanging on though.
- Some passive song listening + review of the half of "Bumajdiy soldat" that I already knew
Time spent: 4 hours

Spanish:
- "Aguila Roja", capitulo 2. Still not understanding much but I figure if I keep watching I'll end up understanding. I don't think my main problem is vocabulary but accent comprehension.
- Entered words 200-300 of frequency list+ el cuerpo humano
- Anki
Time spent: 3 hours

Total: Russian 102
Spanish 59

Edited by joanthemaid on 23 February 2010 at 4:23pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 92 of 200
22 February 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sprachjunge! I don't know how I feel about specializing in Russian though. The way I'm going, I'm afraid I'll be better at Russian than Spanish by the end of the year. Then again, I think that due to the nature of Spanish, once my comprehension gets better, I'll be on the road to fluency as its mostly transparent for a French speaker. But I'll have to listen to a whole lot of it...
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that all beginnings are weak! So don't worry

Edited by joanthemaid on 22 February 2010 at 10:42pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 93 of 200
23 February 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
23 February:

Russian:
- Lesson 37 of the Princeton course+Anki.This one was a bit easier and I feel like I'm starting to internalize the genitive declensions, although I'm not sure I wouldn't forget it writing of speaking outside of exercises. But there is definitely progress. Still having a bit of trouble with the vocabulary of lesson 35 and 36 though, but eventually I'll learn it. That's the great thing about Anki, you don't have a choice, eventually, you will learn.
- Passive listening (songs from Russian course): 1.5 hours.
4 hours

Spanish
- Siempre hacia El Oeste, a documentary on the route to Santiago de Compostella (easy)
- Aguila Roja, capitulo 3. I don't know if it's because I watched it after something easier (as if Santiago had been a warm-up), but it was easier this time. Still far from the level I want to get to, but I had more than the pictures to help me understand the story this time. I'll try watching those with or without watching something else before, to confirm the fact that it helped.
- Anki, continuing to learn the vocab entered last time. There were 60 words on the human body, most of which I knew, and others, I don't know exactly how many. I went through words 200 through 300 of the frequency list, but that doesn't mean I entered them all. I am sure enough of some of them to not have to learn them. I am, however, being as thorough as conceivably necessary.
2 hours

Is it me or are my sentences particularly convoluted today?

Anyways:
Russian: 106 hours
Spanish: 61

Edited by joanthemaid on 23 February 2010 at 10:41pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 94 of 200
25 February 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
24 feb 2010 (late)

- Lesson 38 Princeton course, no Anki. 1.5 hours
- Episodes 4,5,6 of Aguila Roja. Who would have thought I would have to cut back on Spanish? 4 hours

Total: Russian: 107.5 hours
       Spanish: 65 hours

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 95 of 200
25 February 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
25 feb 2010

Russian
- Review Lesson 38
- Anki
1 hour

Spanish
- 1 hour "59secundos", a political show with several journalists and politicians, which I think was good for working on comprehension because it had several different types of accents, ranging from very clear (the guy interviewed) to frankly hard to make out. Compared to other times I watched this kind of show a while back, though, I think I'm getting better. No Anki (it's been two days, bad!)

Total
108.5 hours Russian
66 Spanish

Edited by joanthemaid on 26 February 2010 at 6:14pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 96 of 200
26 February 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
26 feb 2010

Spanish
- End of "59segundos"
- Episodes 7 and 8 - Aguila Roja
- Anki
(4 hours)

Russian
-1 hour lesson 39 Princeton course. I was too tired to study though, as I started at 7 p.m and spent all of yesterday painting my brother's apartment, so I quit. No anki.

Total:
Spanish: 70 hours
Russian: 109.5 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 27 February 2010 at 4:17pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version