Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 97 of 200
27 February 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
27 feb 2010

Russian
- End of lesson 39 Princeton course (2 hours)
- Lesson 13 "Ya govoryoo po-russki" (sorry, for some reason my computer doesn't want to write in here in Cyrillic). (1 hour)
- Anki (1 hour)

Spanish
- Episode 9 Aguila Roja 1h15"
- Entered 150 more words from the frequency list into Anki, learnt 30 of them (most of them easy), and reviewed what was due.

Total: Russian 113.5 hours
       Spanish 72.5 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 27 February 2010 at 7:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 98 of 200
28 February 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
28 feb 2010

Russian
- Lesson 40 Princeton course (review Chapter 4)
- Lesson 14 "Ya govoryoo..."
(1.5 hours)

Spanish
- Bit of an article on vampires on Wikipedia
- Episode 10 of Aguila Roja

Total: Russian 115 hours
       Spanish 74 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 01 March 2010 at 12:49am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 99 of 200
28 February 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
SECOND MONTH END

So this is it! the second month of this TAC is over, that means I'm going to have to face up to the fact that I didn't quite do what I had planned on doing, and that I spend almost an entire week (the second one) doing absolutely nothing! I caught up well enough, although not completely: I could have done more work these last few days if I had gone out so much, but once again I want language learning to be a pleasure, not a punishment, so I'm not ready to refuse something I want to do because I have to finish my Russian chapter.
Anyway, these were my plans for this month:

Russian

- Mastering chapters 3 and 4 of the Princeton course, which I thought meant doing everything through lesson 44, but in fact meant everything through lesson 40 only. I did both chapters but I didn't really fulfill my plans as:
1) I am far from mastering the Genitive, or for that matter, full mastery of the accusative in use. Plus I didn't really finish Lesson 40, didn't enter and learn the vocab.
2) Those chapters included parts of a story you're supposed to read all through the year, and I didn't read them. I was planning on reading it after the end of the course itself, but it's part of the progression and included in the reviews so that might not be a very good idea.

- Reading and temporarily knowing lessons 11-20 of my little manual. Total failure here, I only went through lesson 14, and badly. I still have no idea what perfect verbs are and how to use them, which means although I strengthened my knowledge of what grammar I knew, I didn't learn any big, new thing

- Learning two songs in Russian: I didn't work on that part at all.

All in all, I studied Russian for 50 years this month, which is 15 less than in January. Not a catastrophe, but not really what I wanted either, especially as I had two weeks of holidays and not much work on the other weeks, which is not going to be the case in March. But although learning is getting tougher, I do think I am making some progress. I might only fulfill my goals by June instead the end of April, but that was my original goal, so I guess I might just have been a bit too ambitious this month.

Spanish

Although I didn't really follow my plan for this month, I consider it to have been good for my Spanish, although the breakthrough came late. I was a bit lost and didn't really know where to start or what to do at my level, so I was thinking of going back to basics (introductions, etc...) and learning conjugations, but, let's face it, that wasn't very motivating. So I did that for a while but once I finally overcame my fear of not understanding everything, I started watching a real show, with a real story, in Spanish and... well, it wasn't strictly speaking an epiphany, but I definitely started spending more time on Spanish. In fact I probably spend more time on it in the last week than in the rest of the month. And although it's much harder to understand than documentaries or even talk-shows, the fact that there is a story to follow definitely helps with the motivation. I think it is really going to make Spanish real for me. And screw the conjugations, if you'll pardon my French. Which you have to, as I'm a native speaker.

I spend 33 hours on Spanish, compared to 40 during the first month. But much more fun.

Also, reading Sprachjunge's posts, I had a few pentalingual days, which is sort of awesome. Made some more study-buddies on Skype, too... Although only in Russian, Spanish speakers don't seem to be interested... :'/

Edited by joanthemaid on 04 March 2010 at 6:34pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 100 of 200
28 February 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
PLANS FOR MARCH

Russian

Honestly, I'm scared of making plans this month, because it's getting harder, both intellectually and motivationally (does that word exist?), plus I won't have an easy month at work so I don't know how many hours I can put into it. I am a trainee and I don't want to get fired because I was focusing on something else than my job. So, everything I am going to say below is only an ideal plan, but I might not even get close to fulfilling it.

- Either doing chapters 5-8 of the Princeton course, that is, up to and including lesson 64. That's 24 lessons, which means 5 a week plus 4 on the last, incomplete week. Honestly that's almost impossible, that would mean I have to spend all of my free days and half-days studying Russian (Mon, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun). OR lessons 41-57 (3 chapters) and seriously reviewing chapter 4, which as I said earlier, I don't master: I can do the exercises knowing exactly what is expected of me, but don't ask me to use the Genitive, especially plural and adjectives, in real life. No way am I going to be able to, even if I really concentrate. I would barely be able to tell you all the declensions. The genitive seems to have more different endings than all the other cases together, isn't that crazy?

- Grammar manual through lesson 25 (11 lessons, technically possible if I do one on every two public transportation trip, that is, one in less than 1 hour. I wouldn't cry if I could do everything pertaining to aspect, that is, through lesson 20. That's already a lot of rote-learning as a lot of the perfective verbs aren't really predictable.

- Put all related vocab into anki and regularly learn it

- At least practice Russian for 50 hours, this way I'll think that even if I didn't finish all I wanted, it's because it's hard, not because I didn't work at it. (Even though I don't really think I can do all that in 50 hours)

Spanish

- Keep having fun with it but maybe start using it a bit (chatrooms and such?). In any case watch at least two episodes of Aguila Roja per week, plsu a few short documentaries. That shouldn't be difficult, in fact the hard part should be to not watch more and replace my Russian study and course preparation with it.

- Enter and learn 100 words at least from the frequency list into anki, which by the end of the year should make my vocabulary close to 5,000 words.

Teammates and others, have a great TAC month and may we all come out of this year knowing one, two, three or more extra languages!

Edited by joanthemaid on 28 February 2010 at 11:12pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 101 of 200
01 March 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
1 march 2010

100th post in there (a symbolic milestone I suppose!)

- Glanced at the first part of the Princeton course Story (OK, listened to it like 7 times and worked a bit, but I couldn't really work on it because my computer refused to work in Cyrillic. It's getting a bit old and I'm mistreating it, so...). About 45 minutes

- 5 (!!) episodes of aguila roja, through episode 15. I guess I really got into this series, and there was a season's end so it was difficult to stop. Anyway, once I'm done I'll be able to concentrate a bit more on Russian. 7 hours

Total: Russian 115.5
       Spanish 81 hours

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5288 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 102 of 200
04 March 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
4 march 2010

Russian
- Lessons 15 and 16 of my manual. Pretty light, I know, explanation below. 2.5 hours

Spanish
- Chapters 16 through 21 of Aguila Roja. My binge is over though as now I'll have to wait for it every week, as it's still a pretty new series. 9 hours

Total: Russian 118 hours
       Spanish 90 hours

I've decided not to try a new Spanish show yet, as the only one I can think of is Amar en Tiempos Revueltos and if it's as good as Aguila Roja I won't be doing enything else for 3 months. Gotta learn some Russian too.

Edited by joanthemaid on 05 March 2010 at 10:13pm

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 103 of 200
04 March 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
All in all, I studied Russian for 50 years this month, which is 15
less than in January

Man, if only I could figure out what your trick is :p

Really though, great log, keep it up!

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5427 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 104 of 200
05 March 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Ooh I wil have to try Aguila Roja! I love Amar en Tiempos Revueltos :) My other fav (from antena3) is Los Hombres de Paco ^^ Good luck with fitting in more Russian :) I am having the same prob with Arabic right now, which sucks because I really love Arabic, but I've been watching... Torchwood! English! Damn :/ Almost finished Season 2, haha, so at least I will stop with it soon :)

Edited by Quabazaa on 05 March 2010 at 12:36am

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version