France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 41 of 200
22 January 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
22/01/10

Вчера я совсем не изучала языкы, потому что была на стажировать в театре совсем день. Это было очен интересный а поздно кончало. Севодния:
- Слушала Русскую музыку три часа.
- Изучала мои словы в Анки
- Смотрела испанский телевизор

Севодния я занимала четыре часа руссково языка а два часа испансково языка

С начин ТАС я занимала тридцать часов руссково языка а сорок семь испасково

Yesterday I didn't work at all because I was at the theatre all day for training. It was very interesting but it finished late. Today:
- I listen to Russian music for three hours
- I studied my vocabulary on Anki
- I watched Spanish TV.

Today: 4 hours Russian
       2 hours Spanish

Total: 30 hours Spanish
       47 hours Russian
1 person has voted this message useful

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5480 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 42 of 200
23 January 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
22/01/10

Вчера я совсем не изучала языкы, потому что была на стажировать в театре совсем день. Это было очен интересный а поздно кончало. Севодния:
- Слушала Русскую музыку три часа.
- Изучала мои словы в Анки
- Смотрела испанский телевизор

Севодния я занимала четыре часа руссково языка а два часа испансково языка

С начин ТАС я занимала тридцать часов руссково языка а сорок семь испасково

Вчера я совсем не изучала языкИ, потому что ЦЕЛЫЙ день была на стажировКЕ в театре. ТАМ было оченЬ интереснО,НО ЗАкончалоСЬ поздно. СеГодня:
- Слушала русскую музыку три часа;
- Изучала (better УЧИЛА) словА в Анки;
- Смотрела телевизор НА испанскОМ.

СеГодня я занималаСЬ четыре часа русскИМ языкОМ И два часа испанскИМ языкОМ.

С начАЛА ТАС я занималаСЬ русскИМ языкОМ тридцать часов, А испаНскИМ - сорок семь.

So far, so good. There is a room for improvement, though. I hope you really enjoy the flexible system of Russian endings :)).

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 43 of 200
24 January 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Thanks again, Dantalian. I'm ashamed because you'd already corrected me on a lot of the mistakes I made again... I input them into Anki so I'll quit making them. Today's log:

01/23/10

Hoy fué un bueno día para mi aprendizage de idiomas. Tenía un poco trabajo pero fue muy effectiva y terminé pronto. Después dí una lección del curso de Princeton, era muy facíl con no nuevo vocabulario en la lección principal pero dí entrada a las nuevas palabras de los ejercicios. Pero es muy difficil aprenderlas por que no son relacionadas a nada. Sin embargo, siempre me esforzo en aprendrerlas o no aprendería mucho por que estas lecciones son solo repaso para mí. Pero son muy utíl para consolidar los contenido que hay aprendidos. Pues, hoy:

- Dí leccion 17 del curso de Princeton y dí entrada al vocabulario
- Escuché musica rusa
- Escuché y leí un artículo de LingQ en español
- Miré la television española 30 minutos, sobre Haití, arte, deportes y politica.
- Dí entrada y repasé a mi vocabulario en ambas lenguas.

Ruso: 3 horas
Español: 3 horas

Total: Ruso:50 horas
Español: 33 horas

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6963 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 44 of 200
24 January 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
You are on it! Do it! I really love our team. And thanks for the messages, teammate.

I'm a senior this year, and I just switched my major back to German. (I started with German freshman year, then switched to math for two years, decided I liked math, but not THAT much, and so decided to switch back to German). However, to explain very briefly, a random infection forced me to take a semester off, so I'm just starting my senior year this spring, and I'll graduate next fall. So now I have an academic stake in German again, which is good and very motivating.

Yes, the Anki cards started to kill me. And I am very lenient with my cards. Like, I'll go through them quickly and just put a bunch in "repeat" or "difficult" again for a few days, figuring that I'll learn them eventually. It was working fine, but then they just got to be too many, and I couldn't even burn through them in under an hour. So, there's still a slight overflow with German, but Spanish and Russian have already started behaving.

Oh, that's a good question about understanding, because I think different people might have slightly different standards. I say that I "understand" something aurally 100% if I understand all of the words in the sentence, the meaning of the sentence, and could repeat the sentence back if someone said, "Repeat what that guy just said." So, "Las Compras" felt good because not only could I understand what was going on, but I
understood them according to the above. Unfortunately, "En el museo" today was hit-or-miss. :)

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 45 of 200
27 January 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Sorry, I haven't posted anything for three days. I didn't quite stop working but I was visited in my class by a"formateur" (there's probably a word for it, they're teachers just like me, not professors, but they basically train me, give me courses on how to do my job. They're not tutors either, I already have one of those). Anyway, it went well, so now I can chill out a bit, work a little less and get back to my studies.So:

- On Sunday I did Lesson 18 of the Princeton russian course and studied a half (long) Spanish article on LingQ
- On monday I did one lesson of my grammar book and played a lot of videogames *shame*.
- Yesterday I did two lessons of the little grammar book (it's the only portable learning material I have, and although my day was pretty useless I was out until 8 p.m.). I am now on lesson 10

So: 2 hours Spanish
    5 hours Russian
Total: 35 hours Spanish
       56 Russian

Edited by joanthemaid on 29 January 2010 at 8:04am

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 46 of 200
28 January 2010 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Wow it seems my teammates are kicking my ass right now haha.

Joan je crois que nous avons le même cahier d´execise pour le Russe haha, "Je Parle Russe! Niveau 1" par ellipses, ou ben.. ça dit grammaire pour débutants.

Anyways you seem to be moving along quite well. Keep it up.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 47 of 200
30 January 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
JANUARY SUMMARY:

I think this is going to be my big monthly summary so I'll write it in English. My goals for this month were:
- minimal goals: to keep up with my vocabulary on Anki
                            to    study a text in Spanish on LingQ at least once a week
                            to    go through at least one lesson of the Princeton course and one in "Je parle Russe"
Needless to say, I did much better than that. Now my unavowed, maximalist goals were and still are (except now I suppose they're avowed):
- to finish both my Russian textbook "Je parle Russe, niveau 2" and the Princeton course, first semester (101), by the end of my spring break, that is by the end of April. 84 lessons in 4 months, that is 20 lessons a month for Princeton and 40/4, 10 lessons per month for "Je parle..."
- To achieve basic fluency by the summer because I'm planning on going to Spain then and I would like to be capable of real conversation by then. More recently, I set myself a goal of learning 5,000 sentences in Spanish, that is, being able to remember them exactly with a translation on Anki

EDIT:
I can't even seem to write one log a day... Well! Now for the results...

- I have done the first twenty lessons of the Princeton course, so I'm on schedule for this one (ok, I'm one lesson late, but I have two two-week vacations coming up, so I think I should be able to catch up and finish all 84 lessons of the first semester by the end of April. I'll then consider myself a solid B1 level)
- I have done 9 lessons of "Je parle Russe", so here as well I am one lesson late but I'll consider myself on schedule for this one as well. I mostly use it out of home, in public transportation, between hours of work and during lectures at my teacher school (in which they explain stuff to us that we've know since we were like, 12). Anyway, the problem is that I sometimes forget it.
- Have discovered Russian music, particularly Slot which I like and some of whose songs I have started learning. Still haven't found anything that I really like in Spanish though, although I enjoyed watching a couple of scientific shows on the RTVE site (TVE a la carta)
- Have entered and learned 446 words into Anki. I probably know a few more that I learned in "Je parle Russe, niveau 1" so I estimate my vocabulary at around 600 or 650 (lemmas this time)

- Have listened to and read 14 clips on LingQ, some of them very short, some of them which I couldn't study in less than two sittings on two different days. Nothing very long. I started out at the Intermediate 1 level and upgraded to Intermediate 2. I don't think I actually have that level as far as active competence goes, but for it to be a challenge I need to study at that level. According to them I officially know 1,296 words. Of course they're not lemmas, some of them are, like, guapo, guapa. Soy, eres, es, somos which each count as one. And yet I don't know if I know more or fewer, because a lot of words I do know haven't shown up in the texts.
- Have entered into Anki and mostly learned 529 words and phrases (up to full, paragraph-long sentences). I'm on schedule for my 5,000 sentences goal, but this way of learning is tiring me quickly so I'm not going to overly focus on this goal. I might cut the longest sentences up into phrases because it's way too frustrating when you miss that one word at the end and have to click on "failed" and be set back by a month. I do need to acquire more vocab before I can go into a more enjoyable, more passive phase though.
- Have watched TV documentaries and the news. I understand about 90% of documentaries (perfect comprehension of the topic, 90% of all words) but the news are much quicker and I don't even always understand what they're talking about. There's still a way to go before I can consider myself fluent...

Total hours spent:
40 Spanish.
65 Russian.

Edited by joanthemaid on 01 February 2010 at 2:46pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 48 of 200
31 January 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
FEBRUARY GOALS:

I hope posting my monthly goals on here will motivate me to realise them, because it's only been a month and already I can feel myself slowing down. Although I am learning a lot, in both languages, I am way too impatient about it. Every day I find words or structures that I have learned lately in Spanish, but I am more and more aware of the work I have left to do. And it's gigantic. I still can't follow the news well, and before actually getting into it I used to consider my level of Spanish to be Basic Fluency. Hum...
In Russian, my first two months of (much lighter than now) study got me to a basic level which I haven't really surpassed. So the first blessed weeks of language learning are over for me, and although it feels great understanding a little more and being able to communicate (at a very, very basic level) with my Skype buddy feels great, here as well imaptience is building up. Annihilation is not happening yet. But I'm hanging on...

Now look to the future, Joan! My goals:

Spanish
- Actually learning the conjugations. I've been rediscovering them lately: as I hadn't done any Spanish in the last five years and only two years before that, learning conjugations by heart without understanding them, and it didn't work, I wanted to go the other way around this time; first get used to them, and then learn them. You might say I'm trying the native approach. We'll see how it goes.
- Keeping entering phrases into Anki, but no paragraph-long sentences this time. I'll shorten the entries until I can learn them easily enough, let's say until they don't inflict physical pain on me anymore.
- Try to find fun material to study, be it songs, TV shows that I can follow from week to week, etc... I really need to have a bit of fun with my Spanish. That's no problem with Russian though, who would have thought?
- Keep watching the news and try to understand a little more every time.

Russian
- Get to lesson 44 of the Princeton course, that is, finish Chapter 2 and do Chapters 3 and 4 entirely. Then I'll be halfway through Semester 1, that should feel pretty nice!
- Get to lesson 20 in "Je parle Russe, niveau 1". Halfway here as well, I could almost grant myself a B1 right then and there!
- Learn two Russian songs by heart at least. My entrance into authentic Russian material.
- Get my Skype buddy to speak Russian and not French once every other time I see him. I'm way too nice...

English (+French? I don't use it enough to know)
Yeah, I know, it's sad. Between not having actually studied it for two years, although I speak it with my husband, plus learning not one but two other languages, plus not having read anything in English for a month (what with my studies), plus teaching students who, being students, obviously make mistakes, I've started really making mistakes, especially orally. So I don't really know what I can do about that, I'll have to find a solution. If you other language learners can help me with that, tell me if it's normal or not, how to fix it (I can't afford to be too bad, as I have to teach kids), please do.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this and have a good TAC month!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version