Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 57 of 200
04 February 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
LOL, Dantalian! You don't have to tell me my Russian is good when it's not, you know. I am really progressing slower now, and I'm a bit frustrated by it. But in the coming month I'll finish learning noun declensions (although my textbook really isn't clear about some of the irregularities) AND I have like five lessons coming about aspect (the difference between "I was doing such and such", and "I have done such and such"; I don't know what it's called in Russian). Anyway, I should be able to say more things by the end of the month.
Thanks for all the encouragements anyway. By the by, are you learning any language right now? How come you're on the forum? Are you taking part in the TAC?

Hi Joanthemaid,

Yeah, declensions are very difficult and there are lots of exceptions from the rules. Sometimes scholars identify up to seven additional (not published in textbooks) noun cases to encompass all of them. Verb aspects are very important either. However you should not panic. Malik Fathi, a German football player of Turkish origin, managed to learn Russian in two years. Why shouldn't you follow suit. BTW, I can't imagine him cramming tons of wordlists, etc :))Anyway, feel free to ask me any questions about Russian. You are welcome!

I'm still learning English and this forum is a part of my "exposure program". I'm going to learn up to 10000 new English words to become a bit more fluent by the end of the year. However it is still beyond me to start a log in English :))
Feel free to correct my mistakes, if any, by the way.

Удачи в изучении русского языка! ;)

Edited by dantalian on 04 February 2010 at 6:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 58 of 200
04 February 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, good luck to you too!
I can only see one mistake in your post: "Verb aspects are very important TOO". You can't use "either" in an affirmative sentence, only in a negative one.
Yeah, now football players learn languages faster than me, and without even cramming! I feel soo much better!

Don't worry, I know you didn't mean it like that... Just pulling your leg!
And by the way, your English seems easily good enough to me to start a log of your own. As far as I can tell, it's excellent!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 59 of 200
04 February 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
4/02

Today I mostly caught up on my late Anki stuff, listened to a tiny little bit of Spanish and started listening to and learning 2/4 dialogues from Princeton, lesson 23. Yeah I know, but I didn't have my computer for most of the day, and I also reviewed other Princeton lessons, which I'm happy to say I have no trouble understanding (and when I first listened to them, I had a lot of trouble understanding!). Plus a little bit of song learning on the bus. Anyway, today:
1.5 hour Spanish
1.5 hour Russian

Total: 43.5 hours Spanish
71.5 Russian

Edited by joanthemaid on 12 April 2010 at 2:59pm

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 60 of 200
05 February 2010 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
Thanks, good luck to you too!
I can only see one mistake in your post: "Verb aspects are very important TOO". You can't use "either" in an affirmative sentence, only in a negative one.
Yeah, now football players learn languages faster than me, and without even cramming! I feel soo much better!

Don't worry, I know you didn't mean it like that... Just pulling your leg!
And by the way, your English seems easily good enough to me to start a log of your own. As far as I can tell, it's excellent!

Sorry again, Joanthemaid. A truce to jesting! :)) I seem to have failed to produce good humor in English. I try to stop joking for the time being.
As to my English, I’m not happy with it at all. My sentences are still as short and ugly as sin.:))
By the by, I personally have learnt most of my vocabulary spending long hours with LearnWords and Anki, so I’m no way better than you in this respect. Only kickers can avoid cramming :))
Thanks for your corrections; I should revise grammar a bit.

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 61 of 200
05 February 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Great job with your studying Joanthemaid. At the rate you're going you'll know russian faster than the football player.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 62 of 200
05 February 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Hope so... I'm sure you will, too!
By the by, you guys might have noticed that I'm spending more time studying Russian than Spanish. This is on purpose. I actually want to get to about 2/3 Russian, 1/3 Spanish, that is, twice as much Russian as Spanish! It's weird though, because I tried to record myself speaking both languages, and I realised that as far as basic things like introducing yourself and such goes, Russian comes to me more naturally than Spanish! So yeah... Not to say that I'm good at Russian, it's just that my Spanish production sucks. Understanding more that you can say is normal, but this doesn't bode well for my summer trip. So I might go back and work through more basic stuff in Spanish, with that goal in mind of enhancing my production, not my comprehension. I'll get back to you with that. 5:47 and today I have:
- learnt one more couplet of "Dve Voini"
- Reviewed one lesson in "Je parle Russe"
Yeah...

Edited by joanthemaid on 06 February 2010 at 10:21am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 63 of 200
06 February 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Well, I didn't do too badly today, after all. I did one lesson of the Princeton course (well, three quarters of one, really, as I'd already started), plus I listened a while to random Russian, in which I clearly understand more words than I used to. I'd say I'm still under ten percent though, not counting tiny little words like "B" or such. Anyway, pacienca es la clave. Plus a bit of reviewing grammar (definitely late on the grammar book, and on a pretty tight schedule for Princeton, ahem).
In Spanish I listened to a very basic (beginner level) LingQ lesson, like, "conociendo a alguien, parte 1" and input sentences into Anki. It's very basic, but let's face it, I must have skipped this part altogether, even in my high school learning, because although some phrases were pretty obvious, some turns of phrase were completely unknown to me. So, on the one hand I feel bad about going back to basics, but on the other I can see myself talking to Spanish people, introducing myself and all that, and suddenly it's much clearer why I'm learning it. So, today:
3.5 hours Russian
2 hours Spanish

Total:45.5 hours Spanish
75 hours Russian (I don't nearly feel like I'm twenty percent done, though, so I think it's going to take more than 220 hours)

Edited by joanthemaid on 06 February 2010 at 10:23am

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6975 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 64 of 200
06 February 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Yeah for back to basics! I had a similar feeling with Manual de gramática, which I just started. I was like: "Sprachjunge, you've been learning Spanish for over seven years. How were you unaware of this the entire time?" Anyhow, good job and keep it up! I'll stop saying it for a while so that you'll actually believe me, but it's really inspiring to know that we're all in this together, juggling our lives and this burning passion that we somehow have to learn how our fellow humans speak. Yeah, Team Gordo. :)

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version