483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 137 of 200
03 April 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
April 3rd

Russian
- Lesson 44 of Princeton Course
- Finished catching up on my Anki vocab (sigh of relief)
- Random listening of stuff on Audiolingua. I'm definitely not B1-level. So, still deep in A2 territory.
4 hours of work today

Spanish
- Watched a show called "Palabra por palabra". It's pretty easy to understand, it's fun(nish) and it's a game about words, which make it great for learning. I still can't find Redes or the latest episode of Aguila Roja though...
- Some Anki vocab, but I'm still 600 words late. Spanish vocab is about 1.5 times as quick as Russian though (90 words/10 minutes instead of 60)
- Quickly read an article about Angkor Wat on Wikipedia
So, about 1.5 hours of Spanish

Total:
143 hours of Russian
101.5 hours of Spanish

Edited by joanthemaid on 04 April 2010 at 8:25am

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 138 of 200
04 April 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
April 4th

Russian
- Lesson 45 of Princeton Course. Not very hard, mostly review of little book, lesson 20.
Not bad considering I spend most of the day away from home with my family for Easter.

No Spanish although I resolved, whenever I actually study Spanish in a day, I will start logging in Spanish in here. I used to do it and wasn't doing too badly at it, so why not continue? Even though it often is a bit repetitive... Oh yeah I tested my Spanish on a stupid site and apparently I'm level 1 of 5. But it was a multiple choice questionnaire and only of specific stuff. Plus completely grammar-oriented.
Also tested myself according to this site's criteria, which are only questions about ease so it's biased, but if you're honest with yourself, I think more accurate, and it's funny because my strengths in Spanish are my weaknesses in Russian, and vice versa. I knew I sucked at Spanish production skills, but I wasn't aware my comprehension skills were lagging so far behind in Russian. Anyway, scores:
32 in Russian
52 in Spanish
I don't really know what it means, it gives me an average of about 30% in Russian (which makes sense if I need 400 hours to learn it) and 65% in Spanish (but I feel like I still have a long, long way to go, probably because my writing and speaking skills are so low.

Anyway:
146 hours Russian
101.5 hours Spanish

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 139 of 200
05 April 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
April 5th

Russian
- Lesson 46 Princeton + anki
- One hour chatting on Skype (mostly written and very slow though)
Total: 3 hours

Spanish
- Watched Redes (found it! :))
- Watched the news
- Anki
6 Some Prince of Persia in Spanish
Total: 2.5 hours

So:
Russian 149 hours
Spanish 104

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 April 2010 at 1:56pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 140 of 200
06 April 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
April 6th

Russian
- Lesson 22 little book

Total:
Russian 150 hours
Spanish 104

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 141 of 200
07 April 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
April 7th

Russian
- Princeton lesson 47 + catching up on chapter 5 vocab and minor grammar from the story. Result; I still have 27 new words to learn after today's 20. On the other hand, this way when I do the story it'll be easy. 2 hours

Spanish
- Some fooling around on the RTVE site (about 30 min. oral comprehension)
- Some reading
- Some Anki

Russian: 153 hours
Spanish: 105 hours total

This week:
16 hours of Russian (: Back in the loop!
5 of Spanish

Note:
At the rate I'm going (about three hours per Princeton lesson, counting vocabulary learning, I've calculated that to do all of the actual language learning parts I'll need about 500 hours of study. Which means:
- That it will have taken way more than Icaria's 420 hours (Counting before the TAC, I've already done about 200)
- That I won't get to a solid B2 level by the end of the year :'(. If I did, it would take an average of 2.5 hours/day, and although on some days I do more, I would have to be retired to consistently do that (I technically could, but honestly I find it hard to study actively after 5p.m, so after work I'm pretty useless. I might get to a fragile B2, but I won't be a tetraglot as I'd hoped to be. Still, I should get to a good operational level.

As for Spanish, I've watched a summary episode of Aguila Roja's first season, and other stuff, and my comprehension has definitely gone up quite a bit, but I'll have to be more serious about my vocab learning and most of all find some people to talk to if I want to become fluent. I refuse to not speak more languages at the end of this TAC than at the beginning

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 April 2010 at 1:56pm

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 142 of 200
07 April 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Hey Joanthemaid,

Nice to see your message in my log!

I’ve just finished reading the latest entries of your log to find out once again that you are one of the most serious students on these forums.
To be honest, originally I was somewhat skeptical about your ambitious plans but you are so consistent in keeping to your daily routine that it makes me think I was wrong in my «premonitions».
Your log is so full of enthusiasm that it inspires me to follow suit and I’m actually thinking of dabbling in French one day ( as soon as I feel a bit more confident in English).

Keep it up! Don’t hesitate to ask me any questions about Russian if necessary!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 143 of 200
07 April 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Dantalian! Lucky for me you've come at the right time. March has been pretty difficult for me but for the last week, I've been back to serious work. Whenever I try writing something in Lang8, I'll put in in here so you can tell me what you think. I hope one day you learn French and I'm able to help you too!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 144 of 200
09 April 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
April 8th:

Russian
- Lesson 23 little book
- Finished new anki vocab.
- Some listening/learning of the dialogue in lesson 48 Princeton

Today, April 9th:

Russian
- Lesson 24 little book
- Lesson 48 Princeton
- Anki

Spanish
- Watched episode 26 of Aguila Roja
- Lots of vocabulary, finished learning what I had to so I can start entering more from the frequency list.

Russian: 157 hours
Spanish: 108

Ya soy de vacanciones para dos semanas, entonces voy a estudiar Ruso y espanol mucho tiempo.

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 April 2010 at 1:59pm

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version