- Princeton Lesson 53
- Anki
3.5 hours

Spanish
- Two "Cuentos de Eva Luna"
- Anki
- Some TV
2.5 hours

A llegado de amazòn el primero libro de la trilogia de Isabel Allende, "La cuidad de la bestias". No parece muy fàcil y es mi primero monolenguale libro en espanol, espero que podrà comprenderlo. Pero antes tengo que terminar los cuento de Eva Luna (los tengo en una versiòn con explicaciones de vocabulario asì que cuando no comprendo es como una seguridad. Pero estoy agradecida porque no tenìa que usar muchas, solo dos o tres en cada hoja. Aun asì, no tengo un dictionario de espanol y tengo miedo de que no voy a entender sufisamente y tener que quedarle cerca de mi ordenador para buscar palabras todo el tiempo. Veremos... Y Quabazaa, muchas gracias para darme la idea de comprar esos libros. Me gusta mucho Isabel Allende

Russian: 170 hours
Spanish: 119 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 17 April 2010 at 7:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 154 of 200
17 April 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
By the by, I found out that in rtve.es you could listen to the radio in foreign langages, including Russian, Arabic, French, Portuguese.... I checked the French part, and although it's a bit slow sometimes, it sounds native enough to me, so other languages should be the same. The link: http://www.rtve.es/podcast/radio-exterior.
And I discovered a similar Russian site, nashe.ru, which is a TV and radio company and seems to have things to watch online, although it seems to be mostly musical, a sort of underground (or at least more cultural) MTV.

Edited by joanthemaid on 20 April 2010 at 9:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 155 of 200
18 April 2010 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
April 18th

Russian
- Lesson 54 Princeton+ Anki. It's getting difficult again. I find it hard to think about case and tense and aspect all at the same time, plus I'm nearing 1,000 words of vocabulary, there are starting to be both words with pretty close meanings and words that are very similar in Russian, and I regularly get mixed up. Although I'm learning a lot of new words, my active vocabulary isn't really going up as it takes me too much time to think about the most recent ones. I guess I'll assimilate them eventually, but for the moment it's slowing me down considerably.
- Listened to Nashe Radio for 20 minutes
4 hours

Spanish
- One "Cuento de Eva Luna", the last of the book.
- Anki
- Some TV (short clips)
2 hours

Russian: 174 hours
Spanish: 121 hours

This month: 37 hours of Russian and 21 of Spanish

Edited by joanthemaid on 19 April 2010 at 4:53pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 156 of 200
19 April 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
April 19th

Russian
- Lesson 25 of "Ya Govaryoo po-Russki" (The Imperative). It feel good going back to this, it's so much simpler than Princeton.
- Lesson 55 of Princeton course (dative of nouns)+ anki
4 hours

Spanish
-

This month:
Russian 41 hours
Spanish 21 hours

This year:
Russian 177 hours
Spanish 121 hours

I took another look at my April objectives, and I think I can probably fulfill them (apart from the conversation bit which I'm just too self-conscious to do when my husband is around and too lazy when he isn't.) I definitely exceeded expectations in Spanish but that's partly because I want to go back to university next year for a translation master's degree and I need two foreign languages for that. I'm gonna try to not as much change my priorities as just intensify my Spanish studies without it taking away from my Russian ones (tricky, I know). I'm seriously hoping to get an easy, passive or at home job after June though because otherwise there's a chance that between work and university I won't be able to do much in the second part of the year. *fingers crossed*

Edited by joanthemaid on 19 April 2010 at 8:32pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 157 of 200
21 April 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
April 20

Spanish
- Read Chapter 1 of "La cuidad de las bestias" by Isabel Allende

April 21

Spanish
- Chapter 2 through 7 "La ciudad..."
- Some vocabulary work which prompted me to give up Anki for Spanish. I had two choices; either continue learning the frequency list and read books without entering the books' vocab into Anki, or give up the frequency list and start working from the books. The first seems useless as, if those words are so common they should pop up in what I read, and the second would just ruin any pleasure I might have in reading. So I'm hoping if I read enough the same is going to happen as when I started reading in English, and I'll naturally end up with an excellent vocabulary. Plus I'm cramming enough Russian without having to do it with Spanish too and this way I'll actually read a lot more and hopefully get a "feel" for the language, which I can't get by just learning vocab.

So this is going to be my method for Spanish: Read, read, read, watch, and do it again. Simple and enjoyable. No translation, at the worst if I want to know the meaning of a word either a thesaurus search or a picture/ wikipedia search for animals, items, plants. Trusting my instinct and intelligence to guess the meaning of most unknown words though...

As for my method for Russian, I think I've honed it enough to give it to you: for each Princeton lesson I:
- Listen to the dialogue up to 3-5 times and sum up what I understood in Russian (orally/mentally)
- Learn the dialogue (that doesn't mean know it by heart, but being able to remake the sentences with the help of an English translation. It isn't translation either, first I learn the sentences and the English is just here to prompt me to start the sentence, the rest is supposed to follow naturally)
- Learn the vocab and enter it into Anki
- Do the audio exercises
- Review the vocab/ check my learning with Anki
- Do the homework
The advantages of this method are:
- I listen to and learn full conversations in Russian
- My vocab learning is all in context and when I don't know one word I usually have to think about the dialogue to remember.
- Alternating learning vocab/ learning grammar/checking vocab/ checking grammar allows me to be aware if I've gone over something too fast to retain it.

For each "Ya govoryoo po-russki" lesson:
- Learn the dialogue, quickly
- Read the grammar explanations
- Learn the vocab (can switch with previous)
- do the exercises/ correct them
- Enter vocab into Anki and review.

+, ideally, some conversation...

This month:
Russian 41 hours
Spanish 25 hours

This year:
Russian 177 hours
Spanish 125 hours

Edited by joanthemaid on 21 April 2010 at 6:58pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 158 of 200
23 April 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
April 22

Spanish
- Chapters 8 and 9 'La Cuidad de las Bestias'

Nothing in Russian. The problem is , I just passed a threshold in Spanish, i.e., being able to read without help, and I'm too happy about that, it feels too good to sit and grind at Russian all morning, every morning. My general opinion being that language learning should be enjoyable, I'm not gonna do that. Beside: 1) My priorities have changed, I need a really good level of Spanish now if I want to do a translation master's degree and 2) I have a translation to really work on, and I can't do Russian, plus translation, plus looking for a job, plus preparing my courses. I am, after all, still on holiday for three more days. So today I might or might not do Russian, not being more likely.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5238 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 159 of 200
28 April 2010 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Ça l´air que vous êtes très bien avancé, félicitations. La semaine prochaine je commencerai à étudier le russe plus intensément car je serai seulement dans 2 courses à l´uni donc bcoup plus de temps libre. Donc j´espère au moins 2 heures dans les matins pis 2+ dans l´après midi.

Edited by bramsterdam on 28 April 2010 at 3:53am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5281 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 160 of 200
04 May 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! Uh... Well, as you can see I've been pretty bad in the last week of april. You could say I did pretty much nothing at all. It's not even due to lack of time or anything, I just got into a really stupid but addictive video-game and stopped doing anything else. I've got this problem where I'm way too obsessive about things I do. When I'm learning languages I can do it 6 hours a day or even more but once I start doing something else I'll just do that new thing. And now it's going to be hard to start working again as I'm pretty sure Anki is going to strangle me for not reviewing for so long.
Something else came up, and I'm probably going to have to give up one of my new languages to go back to studying French and English (I'll spare you the suspense, the victim will most probably be Russian :'( ). I already said I was looking into professional Masters degrees in translation and there are two possibilities for me: either I do the one in my own town which won't really specialize me and just put me into the work market with the ability to translate most things and nothing particularly (which isn't good because all translators can translate generic stuff, including those who are specialized). Or I do what I'm interested in which is a Masters degree with a specialty in medical science and translation. I looked at an old entrance test, needless to say watching House will not be enough to pass. So I'll have to start reading and translating scientific articles in both French and English, and I have a month and a half to get to a good level in medical translation. Still I'll have to do a little Spanish (and that's why Russian will have to wait) because if I fail, I'd like to be able to enter the other Master, which does require two foreign languages.
All this about my life to say I'm changing my priorities and am now studying medical vocab (English and French) and Spanish. I'm sort of excited about studying something that will actually teach me stuff other than just the language, but I'm also a bit sad about Russian because that was the reason I started this log in the first place, and I like discovering a new languages and talking about my difficulties... I might still be able to study it a bit, but I'm definitely going to slow down. Also, as I won't be counting lessons any more but doing more general stuff, I will probably log in less frequently.
Anyway, have a good TAC month and see you all around the forum!

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version