France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 65 of 200
06 February 2010 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Very well said!
I'm exhausted so I'll log in in English, again, with a lot of typos which I'll correct in the days to come.
Today I did one lesson of the Princeton course (lesson 24), finished reviewing and entering late vocabulary into Anki, from my grammar manual, plus did a new lesson in same, lesson 12. I also learnt/reviewed on Anki
As for Spanish, I watched the latest Redes, one of my favourites so far, about how we have a natural propensity to believe in higher powers, and another documentary about some African tribes, which started out pretty well but by the end of which I was exhausted. I also reviewed vocab on Anki, but it wasn't going too well so I stopped after twenty minutes.
3 hours Russian
1.5 hours Spanish

Total:47 Spanish
78 Russian

I've been needing a lot of sleep lately, and I know that sleeping is what allows you to learn and assimilate things, so I wonder if my body--or brain can actually tell that I need more sleep, or if it's just the season or what. In any case, it can't be bad for language learning. Has anyone else experienced something like that in their more intensive learning periods? I remember a professor telling us that when he was preparing for the "Agrégation" (a difficult French competitive examination), he would go to bed at five everyday, because he was so tired. Anyway, if you guys know something about that, I'd be interested to know.

Edit: about Redes. Most of it is dubbed from English, so it might not be the best thing to watch for authentic Spanish speech, but I personally can't hear a lot of the English, except when the interpreters stop talking, which really makes it harder, not easier, as I automatically switch back to English and then have to forcefully set my brain back to Spanish.

Edited by joanthemaid on 06 February 2010 at 11:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dantalian
Diglot
Bouvet Island
Joined 5492 days ago

125 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 66 of 200
07 February 2010 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
The SuperMemo site has a lot of info on sleeping.
Although,at times methinks Dr.Wozniak is more a 'visionary' than a scientist :))
http://www.supermemo.com/help/sleep.htm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 67 of 200
08 February 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I'm not ready for that, and honestly I hope I'll never be. No, I just wanted to know if you guys experienced the same sort of stuff in intensive study periods, or even in immersion (language fatigue). Thanks though, it make me feel better to see that some people are crazier than us about learning stuff.

( By the way, yesterday I did nothing for my language studies: I just worked in the morning and then went to the cinema and hung out with my family. I'd feel all right about it if the film hadn't sucked, but the point is, I don't want studying to consume my life. It never has, so it's not going to start when I'm no longer a student)

So Month 2, week 1 total: 13 hours Russian
                          7 hours Spanish
Lame!

Edited by joanthemaid on 08 February 2010 at 10:29pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 68 of 200
08 February 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Ok, again not a very good day today, although it's not entirely my fault as I didn't have access to my computer. So I had transfered one Princeton lesson (25) onto my USB key so I could do that, but no Anki, and honestly I have to admit I didn't feel like studying Spanish or studying in my book. So today:
2 hours Russian
0 Spanish

total: 47 Spanish
80 Russian

Edited by joanthemaid on 08 February 2010 at 10:27pm

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5376 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 69 of 200
08 February 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
"I don't want studying to consume my life"

I actually believe that learning is life, not necessarly studying for university and stuff cuz believe me i have never studied anything related to university and passed all my exams barely.
If one day passes without me learning anything i feel bad, cuz it has been wasted, it's not like i am a geek, but casual parties and socializing just for the sake of socializing doesn't take place anymore in my life, it's only and only if i want to go dance or get drunk or something that i go, but i never tell myself ok i have learned a lot today and so i should go party, cuz i know i won't have fun.

This is my view about it.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 70 of 200
11 February 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
No, I agree with you, and I can't stand not learning anything either, that why I started learning new languages when I left university in fact. And you're right, I was raised to feel like if I wasn't socializing all the time or popular, something was wrong with me, and I don't think so anymore, but all I was saying is, I don't want to make myself feel guilty about not learning much one day, especially not learning much Russian or Spanish, because there's a lot more things out there that I can learn, and if I feel like going to see a movie or even just resting and letting my mind wander, I shouldn't force myself to sit and learn languages. First because sometimes you just need time to let things rest and digest them, and secondly because I don't want what started out as a pleasurable and useful past-time to become a chore, like preparing my courses for work or things like that.
Besides right now I've fallen into my yearly "Buffy" binge (yeah, I know, nothing new and therefore not learning anything), so I need to finish that as quickly as possible to free my mind for other things. Honestly, that show is like a drug, once I start, I can't stop until I run out of it.

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 February 2010 at 7:15pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5280 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 71 of 200
14 February 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
02/14

Done with the Buffy binge! (I only rewatched seasons 5 through 7), so today was a good day again.
- I learned two lessons of the Princeton course, Lessons 26 and 28 (I don't know where 27 went, and 29 is missing too, which is good because it'll allow me not to be too far behind schedule). I already caught up on my vocabulary (100 words left). No book lessons. All in all I don't think I forgot too much: a bit of vocabulary, sure, but nothing too bad.Also talked a bit to my mirror: I have to start getting better at speaking. Am seriously considering taking a few hours of conversation with a teacher at some point.
- Watched the latest Redes, about stress. It was alright, not the best one so far I think, but fun enough
Now intending on maybe doing one basic Spanish lesson and a bit of anki catch-up

Time today so far:
Spanish 30 min
Russian 2.30 hrs

Total
47.5 Spanish
82.5 Russian

Edit: I WILL kick that february plan's ass! I may not be very disciplined but I can cram and I will!I also realized lately that February only had 28 days in it. So, two weeks to go exactly...

Edited by joanthemaid on 14 February 2010 at 7:47pm

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6975 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 72 of 200
15 February 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Your "Buffy binge" is funny. Hey, at least you're...reviewing colloquial English? Haha, okay, kind of a stretch, I guess. But I like this part.

joanthemaid wrote:

Edit: I WILL kick that february plan's ass! I may not be very disciplined but I can cram and I will!I also realized lately that February only had 28 days in it. So, two weeks to go exactly...

Please, please do.

PS Good that you and Kinan have gotten to know each other! My secret plan of creating the mega-linked team (GOAL) is slowly coming to fruition...

This discussion contains 200 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version