Ellasevia’s TAC 2011: Team Ohana

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 48 49 Next >>
darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5828 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 25 of 392
02 January 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
I had a feeling you would make an alteration somewhere :-) I wonder how long it would take you to add another language :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5930 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 26 of 392
08 January 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Quarter 1: Swedish, Persian, Dutch
Week 1: January 1 – January 7

Total Study Time This Week: 19.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 19.25 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 2.75 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 2.75 hours/day

(Credit to tomsawyer for the idea of the graph)

Prepare yourselves for another monstrosity of a post. This has taken just a few hours to write (like…four…at least?), so this represents a significant effort. I’ve attempted to write a little bit in each of the languages that I studied this week (with a translation in English below), but I don’t know if I’ll do that again in the future. It will probably just depend on the amount of time I have available and how lazy I’m feeling.

This week I managed to fit in at least a little study of Swedish, Persian, Dutch, French, German, Greek, and Polish, as well as some small activities in Spanish and Italian. I didn’t meet all of my goals and didn’t manage to study any of Romanian, Russian, Japanese, or Swahili, but that’s all right since this was a weird transition week. We returned to school on Wednesday after two and a half weeks of break, so it was a bit of a stressful shock and I haven’t done much since then. I was also a bit confused on when the week was over—I was thinking Sunday, but then I remembered that 2011 started on a Saturday, so I my activities were to be finished and recorded by Friday evening—so I originally had thought that I had more time to work than I did. No more excuses, next week I’ll see if I can reach all of my goals. If not, I might have to reassess how much I intend to do per week (or at least for January, since I have three focus languages this month), because I don’t want to get discouraged by failing to reach my goals week after week.

Without further ado, here is the actual log for you to read at your leisure. I, in the meantime, shall be heading up to bed as I’m exhausted. Good night!

SVENSKA
Total Study Time This Week: 4.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 4.25 hours

- Reviewed Assimil lessons 1-21
- Assimil lessons 22-28
- Listened to Swedish radio

Hej! Den här veckan har varit en god börja till nyåret, tycker jag. Jag arbetade mycket med Assimil boken och jag hoppas att kunna avsluta den innan kvartalet tar slut. Jag kan fortfarande förstå det mesta av orden i lektionerna, men de har varit ett gott återblick för mig. Småningom blir lektionerna svårare och mer komplicerade, och jag är mycket glad över mitt framsteg i språket. Min enda oro är att jag börjar att blanda ihop svenska och nederländska. Till exempel, före ville jag skriva ’en,’ men det rätta svenska ordet är förstås ’och’! Det är så ett dumt fel, särskilt eftersom jag har lärt mig svenska för mer än ett år (för femton månader, att vara exakt)! Jag måste öva mer, tycker jag... Jag lyssnade också på svenska radio, och jag var belåten att jag förstod mer än jag brukar förstå (talspråket är mycket svårt för mig). Jag tror att Assimil hjälper mig med det, för det använder en guide till uttalet som visar ordaccenten. Förut måste jag bara gissa den, och det var inte mycket effektivt.

Jag ville också berätta ett roligt skämt som var i slutet av den 25:e lektionen:
— Det är hårda tider, du Svensson! Jag har skulder upp över öronen.
— Det är precis samma sak med mig.
— Ja, men det är värre för mig. Jag är ju längre än du.

Hi! This week has been a good start for the New Year, I think. I worked a lot with the Assimil book and I hope to be able to finish it before the end of the quarter. I can still understand most of the words in the lessons, but they have been a good review for me. Gradually the lessons are getting harder and more complicated, and I’m very happy about my progress in the language. My only concern is that I’m beginning to mix up Swedish and Dutch. For example, before I wanted to write ‘en’ [‘and’ in Dutch] but the correct Swedish word is of course ‘och’ [‘and’ in Swedish]! That is such a stupid mistake, especially since I have studied Swedish for more than a year (for fifteen months, to be exact)! I think I need to practice more. I also listened to some Swedish radio, and I was pleased that I understood more than I usually do (the spoken language is very difficult for me). I think Assimil is helping me with that, because it uses a pronunciation guide which shows the pitch accent. Previously I just had to guess it, which was not very effective.

I also wanted to share this funny joke that was at the end of lesson 25:
— These are hard times, Svensson! I have debts up over my eyes.
— It’s exactly the same thing with me.
— Yes, but it’s worse for me. I’m taller than you.

فارسى
Total Study Time This Week: 5.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 5.25 hours

- Reviewed previous lessons from Spoken World Farsi and Colloquial Persian
- Lessons 4 and 5 of Spoken World Farsi, including studying vocabulary in BYKI
- Finally was able to buy a hard copy of Assimil Le Persan Sans Peine

شب بخير! اين هفته دو تا درس از کتابم درس خواندم. درسها خوب بودند و من بسيار ياد گرفتم. ببخشید فارسيم خيلى خوب نيست پس نمى توانم بسيار به نوشتن، اما مى توانم به گفتن که فارسى زبانى قشنگى است. الآن مى خوام به انگليسى به نوشتم

Good evening! This week I studied two lessons from my book. They were good lessons and I learned a lot. I’m sorry, my Persian is not very good so I cannot write much, but I can say that Persian is a beautiful language. Now I am going to write in English.

That’s pretty much the extent of my Persian writing abilities at the moment, so not very impressive considering I’ve been studying since August. I have, however, felt a big improvement in my Persian even just this week while focusing on it. The fact that I was able to get through two full lessons from Spoken World in a week is amazing, because previously the same feat would have probably taken me at least a month. I’m getting very excited about continuing with my Persian.

There were some interesting expressions in lesson four which I wanted to share:
به به (bah bah) – This is a term of contentment use in Persian. Some examples of its usage that my book gives are walking into a kitchen when you’re hungry and smelling good food being cooked, walking outside in the morning and feeling the fresh air, or when you’re happy to see someone. I really like it because it sounds like the sound a sheep makes (baaaaah baaaaah) and I like sheep. :)

قربان شما برم (qorbâne šomâ beram) – This literally means “may I get sacrificed for you,” but as an everyday expression it has absolutely nothing to do with being sacrificed and has a wide array of meanings, ranging from “I love you” to “nice to see you” to “you’re so cute!” The informal form of it is قربونت برم (qorbunet beram).

NEDERLANDS
Total Study Time This Week: 4 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 4 hours

- Finished the Michel Thomas Advanced Dutch Course
- Reviewed lessons 1-12 of Assimil
- Assimil lessons 13-15
- Reviewed Teach Yourself Dutch lessons 1-8 (I had completed up through lesson 14)
- Reviewed Routledge Intensive Dutch Course lessons 1-2

Hoi! Deze week heb ik niet zo veel Nederlands geleerd, maar ik hoop, dat ik meer volgende week ga leren. Ik heb doch wat lessen van de boeken herzien, die ik afgelopen zomer gebruikte. Volgende week wil ik graag TY Dutch afmaken zodat ik op de andere boeken kan concentreren. Als ik in het Nederlands lees is het heel gemakkelijk om te begrijpen, omdat ik al Duits en Engels spreek, maar het is echt moeilijker om het juist te schrijven en spreken. Waarschijnlijk schrijf ik helemaal niet uiteraard en maak ik veel domme fouten, maar ik meen dat fouten maken belangrijk is als je een taal goed wil leren, want dat betekent dat je de taal gebruikt en dat je van de fouten zal leren. Dus, corrigeren mijn fouten alstublieft zodat ik Nederlands beter kan spreken! Ik hou van de Nederlandse taal!

Hi! This week I haven’t studied very much Dutch, but I hope that next week I will study more. However, I did review some lessons from the books that I used this summer. Next week I’d like to finish TY Dutch so that I can concentrate on the other books. When I read in Dutch it’s very easy to understand because I already speak German and English, but it’s rather more difficult to write and speak it correctly. I probably am not writing at all naturally and am making many silly mistakes, but I think that making mistakes is important if you want to learn a language well because that means that you are using the language and that you’ll learn from your mistakes. So, please correct my mistakes so that I can speak Dutch better! I love the Dutch language!

Fraais
Total Study Time This Week: 0.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 0.5 hours

- Vocabulary
- Wrote a couple letters in French

Cette semaine j’ai presque rien fait pour le français. Les seules choses que j’ai fait c’étaient écrire une lettre en français et étudier un peu de vocabulaire. Il faut que je fasse plus la semaine prochaine parce qu’il est devenu beaucoup plus difficile d’écrire et de parler en français. Il est toujours très facile de le comprendre quand je le lis ou l’entends, mais mes habiletés actives se sont détériorées visiblement depuis août. Demain je vais lire un peu en français et faire des exercices de mon livre de grammaire ‘avancé,’ et puis écrire un email à ma prof de français pour lui demander quand et où la groupe d’étude se rassemblera.

This week I’ve done almost nothing for French. The only things that I did were writing a letter in French and studying a bit of vocabulary. I need to do more next week because it’s gotten much more difficult to write and speak in French for me. It’s still very easy to understand when I read it or hear it, but my active skills have deteriorated noticeably since August. Tomorrow I’m going to read a bit in French and do some exercises from my ‘advanced’ grammar book, and then write to my French teacher to ask her when and where the study group is going to get together.

Deutsch
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 1 hour

- German Grammar Drills: Der Konjunktiv
- Tagebuch for my German class

Diese Woche habe ich auch nicht genug Deutsch gelernt. Nur eine Stunde ist aber akzeptabel, weil ich auch eine ausgezeichnete Deutschklasse jeden Tag in der Schule habe. Beim Grammatikbuch habe ich über den Konjunktiv gelernt, aber ich verstehe ihn doch nicht. Ich habe über den Konjunktiv schon gelesen als ich mit dem Buch „Ultimate German“ im Frühling lernte, aber ich dachte, dass es zu schwer und nicht sehr wichtig war, also habe ich nicht darüber bis jetzt Sorgen gemacht. Es scheint, dass der Konjunktiv auf Deutsch wie der spanische oder französische Konjunktiv benutzt wird, aber ein bisschen anders. Auch seine Formen, wie „er habe,“ scheinen mir komisch. Jedoch, meine Lehrerin hat gesagt, dass wir bald darüber lernen werden. Ich habe auch meine Hausaufgaben mitgerechnet, weil die die meine Lehrerin uns gibt gewöhnlich sinnreich und lohnend sind. Jede Woche gibt sie uns ein Thema, darüber wir in unseren Tagebüchern schreiben müssen. Diese Woche war das Thema was unsere Neujahrsvorsätze für die Schule, die Gesundheit, und das Leben überhaupt sind.

This week I haven’t studied enough German either. But just one hour is acceptable, because I have an excellent German class every day at school. With the grammar book, I learned about the subjunctive, but I don’t understand it. I already read about the subjunctive when I was studying in the spring with the book “Ultimate German,” but I thought that it was too hard and not very important so I haven’t worried about it up until now. It seems like the subjunctive in German is used like the Spanish or French subjunctive, but a bit different. Its forms also seem a bit funny to me, like “er habe” [he have]. However, my teacher said that we are going to learn about it soon. I’ve also counted my homework, because what my teacher gives us is usually meaningful and worthwhile. Every week she gives us a topic that we have to write about in our journals. This week the topic was what our New Year’s Resolutions for school, our health, and for our lives in general are.

Ελληνικά
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 1 hour

- Greek lesson with my grandmother

Μόλις έκανα την ώρα μου ελληνικών σήμερα όταν πήγα στο σπίτι των παππούδων μου μετά το σχολείο. Κάθε Παρασκευή πάω εκεί πέρα με το λεωφορείο για να περάσω λίγο καιρό με τη γιαγιά και τον παππού μου, αλλά επίσης για να μάθω ελληνικά, βέβαια. Σήμερα όταν έφτασα η γιαγιά μου μου πρόσφερε λίγο παγωτό και μιλούσαμε για το σχολείο ενώ έτρωγα. Μετά κάναμε μάθημα και είδαμε λιγάκι από ένα ελληνικό ταξιδιωτικό πρόγραμμα σχετικά με το Σκόπελο, ένα νησί στο Αιγαίο, κοντά στο νησί από πού προέρχεται η οικογένειά μου. Διαβάσαμε κι ένα άρθρο από ένα βιβλίο για τον πληθυσμό της Ελλάδας. Δεν ήταν πολύ ενδιαφέρον όμως. Ύστερα έπρεπε να τελειώσει να φτιάχνει το δείπνο μας, και εγώ δούλεψα στον υπολογιστή και διάβασα σε αυτό το φόρουμ κι έκανα το Anki μου. Φάγαμε το δείπνο ενώ βλέπαμε τηλεόραση, και μετά φάγαμε ένα πορτοκάλι για το επιδόρπιο. Μετά το δείπνο καθίσαμε στον καναπέ και είδαμε πάλι τηλεόραση. Εγώ, όμως, αποκοιμήθηκα και ο παππούς μου αποφάσισε ότι ήταν χρόνο να με οδηγήσει στο σπίτι μου. Όταν έφτασα εδώ άρχισα να γράψω τούτο το ποστ.

I just did my hour of Greek today when I went to my grandparents’ house after school. Every Friday I go over there by bus to spend some time with my grandmother and grandfather, but also to study Greek of course. Today when I arrived my grandmother offered me some ice cream and we talked about school while I was eating. Then we did a lesson and watched a bit of a Greek travel program about Skopelos, an island in the Aegean near to the island where my family comes from. We also read an article about the population of Greece. It wasn’t very interesting though. Later she had to finish making our dinner, and I worked on the computer and read on this forum and did my Anki. We ate dinner while watching TV and then ate an orange for dessert. After dinner we sat down on the couch and watched TV again. I fell asleep however, and my grandfather decided that it was time to drive me back home. When I arrived here I started to write this post.

Polski
Total Study Time This Week: 3.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 3.25 hours

- Michel Thomas Foundation Course
- Read the first story from Przygody Krystyny, Pawła, i Reksa (with a dictionary)
- Vocabulary
- Acquired Spoken World Polish, Assimil Le Polonais Sans Peine, and the Michel Thomas Polish Advanced Course

Ja mogę mówić trochę po polsku, ale nie dobrze ponieważ jeszcze nie mówię języka. Mogę czytać alfabet, ale jest trudny. Wiem jak powiedzieć proste rzeczy po polsku, i wiem kilka słowa ponieważ są podobne do słów w jęziku rosyjskim czy w drugich językach. Mam przyjaciółkę która chcie też uczyć się języka polskiego ze mną. Ona też mówi po francusku, więc możemy używać książkę Assimila łącznie. Chcę uczyć się o języku polskim i o Polsce.

I can speak a little bit of Polish, but not well because I don’t speak the language yet. I can read the alphabet, but it’s difficult. I know how to say simple things in Polish, and I know some words because they are similar to words in Russian or in other languages. I have a friend who wants to learn Polish with me too. She also speaks French, so we can use the Assimil book together. I want to learn about the Polish language and about Poland.

That’s all I’m going to write in Polish for now. Sentences like these aren’t exactly what MT focuses on, so I had to look up a lot of those things, although the majority is my own work. Polish is very fun, but I still need to remember to work on my other languages too, because they are just as fun and needy. I’m really tired now and it’s late, so I’m not going to go into any more detail about what I’ve done.

Other
- I bought two books for Russian: Roots of the Russian Language: An Elementary Guide to Wordbuilding and A Foundation Dictionary of Russian: 3000 High Semantic Frequency Words, but I didn’t actually get around to studying any Russian.
- I read a short article in Spanish from El País about New Year’s celebrations.
- I listened to an episode of LearnItalianPod. I also bought L’Ombra del Vento, the Italian language version of the book La Sombra del Viento (originally in Spanish). I read the book in English a couple years ago and liked it, and I was going to buy it in Spanish, but then noticed the Italian version for about the same price and decided to take advantage of the opportunity of knowing ahead of time that I enjoy the book in Italian instead of blindly choosing one and hoping it’s good. I also vaguely remember some of the storyline, so I thought it would be beneficial for me to read it in Italian. The library here also has copies of the original in Spanish as well as the second book, El Juego del Ángel, so I think I’ll read the second one in Spanish after I’ve finished the first in Italian.
- I’ve restudied probably 100 more kanji, at least.
- I didn't study any Japanese this week, but for my Japanese class we had to give a presentation on what we did over Winter Break, so here is what I wrote:
冬休みに勉強したかったけど,怠け者でした から,残念ながら何もしませんでした。十二 月二十七日にメッグさんとカップケーキを作 りました。それからその次の日にメッグさん とメガンさんとメガンさんのボーイフレンド とメガンさんの誕生日のためにアイススケー トをしました。そして家族とクリスマスとお 正月を祝いました。漢字がたくさんを復習し ました。一月一日から一月五日までスウェー デン語とペルシア語とオランダ語を勉強しま した。生憎に一月五日に学校へ戻りました。

I wanted to study over Winter Break, but I unfortunately didn't do anything because I was lazy. On December 27th I made cupcakes with Meg. Then on the next day I went ice skating with Meg, Megan, and Megan's boyfriend for Megan's birthday. I also celebrated Christmas and New Year's with my family. I reviewed lots of kanji. From January 1st to January 5th I studied Swedish, Persian, and Dutch. Unfortunately on January 5th we returned to school.

Edited by ellasevia on 01 March 2011 at 7:08pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 392
08 January 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Well if this is what you did the week you failed to meet your goals, your goals must be very ambitious indeed!!

I must complement you on your Swedish by the way, it is really of very high quality. I cought a couple of minor mistakes, but if they were not there it would have been almost inhuman. Your French is also fantastic, and so is your German. I have a limited understanding of Dutch, but I understood a lot of what you wrote, so I suspect that is pretty good too, and I have forgotten most of my Polish, but I did at least recognize some of the words. I cannot evaluate your Persian or Greek, but knowing you I would guess your level of Greek is pretty high, and I am impressed that you have the guts to go for Persian. I feel embarrassed about being too lazy (or too much of a coward) to write in my languages. You are however a tremendous inspiration to me, so I'll see if I ca do something about that.

How do you put the little flags in by the way?

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4902 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 28 of 392
08 January 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
On the French front, a couple of minor mistakes, the first on in the sentence "Les seules choses que j’ai fait
c’étaient écrire une lettre en français". At first I didn't realise because I hadn't paid attention to the plural, but you'd
either say "c'était" (and with that one I'd even add "d'écrire") or "étaient". Then "habileté" is generally used in the
singular (I can't remember having ever seen/heard it used in the plural), and what you wanted to say would be
translated by capacité or aptitude, or even compétence (maybe the last one over the other two). Finally, this is
probably a typo, but "groupe" is masculine, so "le groupe". Other than that, your French is excellent, and I can even
find idiomatisms such has not putting the "ne" in the negation. Very impressive!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6150 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 29 of 392
08 January 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I've made some corrections in your Polish text. I hope it's ok with you.

Quote:
Ja mogę mówić trochę po polsku, ale nie dobrze ponieważ jeszcze nie mówię języka

Umiem mówić trochę po polsku, ale niezbyt dobrze, ponieważ nie znam jeszcze tego języka.

1 - Ja mogę -> Umiem : First of all 'Ja' isn't necessary, just like in Spanish, because the verb form conveys the information about the subject. Secondly 'umiem'(umieć) is better/correct in this context.

Mogę mówić po polsku ~ I'm allowed to speak Polish
Umiem mówić po polsku ~ I can speak Polish

2 - niedobrze -> niezbyt dobrze : theoretically 'niedobrze' does mean not well, but it sounds, kind of, too negative, as if you wanted to show that your Polish is really bad. Saying 'niezbyt dobrze' is way more natural and typical over here.

niezbyt dobrze = not too well

3 - ponieważ jeszcze nie mówię języka -> ponieważ nie znam jeszcze tego języka : firstly you always use a comma before 'ponieważ'. Secondly 'nie znam' sounds better because it implies you don't have a knowledge of the language, while if you said 'nie mówię' it would contradict the first part of the sentence. Also it's more natural to put 'jeszcze' after the verb in a sentence liek this. I'd also use 'tego'(this) to clarify the meaning a bit.

Nie znam tego języka ~ I don't know this language

Quote:
Mogę czytać alfabet, ale jest trudny.

Umiem przeczytać/Znam alfabet, ale jest on trudny/to trudne.

1 - Mogę czytać -> Umiem przeczytać/Znam : 'Mogę czytać' sounds somewhat weird, like you were allowed by someone to read the alphabet whenever you wanted to. You can say either:

Umiem przeczytać alfabet ~ I can read the alphabet ( 'przeczytać' is a perfective form, it means that you can read the whole alphabet)

Znam alfabet ~ I know the alphabet ( It sounds best to me, it simply means that you know the whole thing so that you can read it, write it, and everything)

2 - ale jest trudny - ale jest on trudny / ale jest to trudne : If you mean that the alphabet is difficult ( which, I think, is the case) then ' ale jest on trudny' is easier to understand. If you meant that the process of reading the alphabet is difficult, though, it should be 'ale jest to trudne'

ale jest on trudny ~ but he(alphabet) is difficult
ale jest to trudne ~ but it(reading) is difficult

Quote:
Wiem jak powiedzieć proste rzeczy po polsku, i wiem kilka słowa ponieważ są podobne do słów w jęziku rosyjskim czy w drugich językach

Wiem jak powiedzieć proste rzeczy po polsku i znam kilka słów, ponieważ są one podobne do słów w rosyjskim czy w innych językach.

1 - wiem kilka słowa -> znam trochę słów : 'znam' is a better verb in this context, although both of them mean 'to know'. I'd use 'trochę' instead of 'kilka' because 'kilka' means 3 to 9. I'd also add 'one' to clarify the meaning, and show that the subject has changed. Another thing, you don't really need to say 'w JĘZYKU rosyjskim', it's enough to say 'w rosyjskim'. About punctuation - we don't use comma before 'and'.

Znam trochę słów = I know some words
Znam kilka słów = I know few words (less than 10)

w innych językach = in other languages
drugi = second

Quote:
Mam przyjaciółkę która chcie też uczyć się języka polskiego ze mną

Mam przyjaciółkę, która chce się uczyć polskiego razem ze mną.

In this sentence it's just spelling of the verb 'chcieć' 3rd singular = chce, and 'razem ze mną' meaning 'together with me' sounds better here.

Quote:
Ona też mówi po francusku, więc możemy używać książkę Assimila łącznie. Chcę uczyć się o języku polskim i o Polsce

łącznie -> razem

I wrote quite a lot, but, truth is, the text is pretty good, especially considering you've just started learning. It's understandable, and you would certainly get your point across if you used it in a chat with a native speaker over here.

Good luck with your studies. I'm looking forward to next posts.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4871 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 30 of 392
08 January 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
What a post! I want to leave some corrections, too, and I hope I found all mistakes. The German text all in all is almost very good and perfectly understandable. There are only some minor mistakes but the verbs and cases are all correct.

Sentence:

2) I would omit "Nur" and "auch" and put "jeden Tag" before "... eine ausgezeichnete ...", because it sounds better.

3) I would change the first part: "Im (instead of Beim) Grammatikbuch habe ich mir den Konjunktiv angeschaut, ..." I think that lernen implies at least some progress, at least so much that you can not say you didn't understand it. You could also translate it with "versuchen", which implies that you were not succesful. "Ich versuchte den Konjunktiv mit Hilfe (instead of Beim) des Grammatikbuches zu lernen, aber ich verstand ihn nicht." Nevertheless you have to omit the "doch" in the second part, it doesn't fit in.

4) it sounds a bit too complicated, make it easier: "Ich las im Frühling schon etwas über den Konjunktiv in dem Buch ..." But the original sentence is not wrong, although I certainly also would add here "etwas", to express that you just picked up "a bit" from this concept. And: lesen "über" means can also mean to hold a "Vorlesung" about the conjunctive, hehe! I think the expression "lesen über" is more common in that aspect, and "etwas lesen über" referes to books etc. you read. You also could use here in this sentence the conjunctive, just by the way. And: "also habe ich nicht darüber bis jetzt Sorgen gemacht" should be: "also habe ich mir darüber bis jetzt noch keine Sorgen gemacht." Since the verb is transitive you have to use a personal pronoun. And I would prefer the use of "kein" instead of "nicht", like you see, but I can't explain it.

5) "Konjunktiv auf Deutsch" -> "Konjunktiv im Deutschen" (it means 'in der deutschen Sprache'), or you could, as you did afterwards, have written "deutscher Konjunktiv". And you should add "doch" between "aber" and "ein", it would sound more 'round'.

6) if a quotation ends at a comma then, in difference to English, the comma always comes after the ending quotation mark, so it should be: "er habe", ...

7) you integrate conjunctions like "however" into the sentence without a comma. And there also was something with the word order, so: "Meine Lehrerin hat jedoch gesagt" or "Jedoch hat meine Lehrerin gesagt", but this word order is not generally true for this type of conjunctions. And for the second part, "darüber lernen" should, I guess, always be "darüber etwas lernen". But you could also write: "dass wir ihn bald lernen werden".

8) "sinnvoll" instead of "sinnreich". And the relativ clause has to be separated by commata.

9) "darüber" has to be "worüber" or "über das". It seems to the be the same rule which is also behind dadurch/wodurch, deshalb/weshalb, but I can't explain that. And I don't know whether "Tagebuch" is the right word here. It's usually a book in which you write persoanl experiences, desires, problems, and which is private. In school you use "Hefte" or "Hefter", I guess.

10) you missed a comma: "... Thema, was ..." Main clause and subordinate clause always have to be separated by comma. And another comma rule that is different to English: while you list things in English 'a, b, and c' you list things in German 'a, b und c'. When listing you only use a comma when there is no conjunction. And for a strange reason "Vorsätze für das neue Jahr" is much more common than "Neujahrsvorsätze", although the latter is not wrong.

P.S.: I also really like that Bah-Bah phrase. It shows how respectful people were once with animals that they even copied their language to express own feelings. Sheep must be so overwhelmed by bliss sometimes that they can express it only by unreflected bah-bah. But with humans it is not much different.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 08 January 2011 at 11:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5232 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 392
09 January 2011 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

فارسى
Total Study Time This Week: 5.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 5.25 hours

- Reviewed previous lessons from Spoken World Farsi and Colloquial Persian
- Lessons 4 and 5 of Spoken World Farsi, including studying vocabulary in BYKI
- Finally was able to buy a hard copy of Assimil Le Persan Sans Peine

شب بخير! اين هفته دو تا درس از کتابم درس خواندم. درسها خوب بودند و من بسيار ياد گرفتم. ببخشید فارسيم خيلى خوب نيست پس نمى توانم بسيار به نوشتن، اما مى توانم به گفتن که فارسى زبانى قشنگى است. الآن مى خوام به انگليسى به نوشتم

Good evening! This week I studied two lessons from my book. They were good lessons and I learned a lot. I’m sorry, my Persian is not very good so I cannot write much, but I can say that Persian is a beautiful language. Now I am going to write in English.

That’s pretty much the extent of my Persian writing abilities at the moment, so not very impressive considering I’ve been studying since August. I have, however, felt a big improvement in my Persian even just this week while focusing on it. The fact that I was able to get through two full lessons from Spoken World in a week is amazing, because previously the same feat would have probably taken me at least a month. I’m getting very excited about continuing with my Persian.

There were some interesting expressions in lesson four which I wanted to share:
به به (bah bah) – This is a term of contentment use in Persian. Some examples of its usage that my book gives are walking into a kitchen when you’re hungry and smelling good food being cooked, walking outside in the morning and feeling the fresh air, or when you’re happy to see someone. I really like it because it sounds like the sound a sheep makes (baaaaah baaaaah) and I like sheep. :)

قربان شما برم (qorbâne šomâ beram) – This literally means “may I get sacrificed for you,” but as an everyday expression it has absolutely nothing to do with being sacrificed and has a wide array of meanings, ranging from “I love you” to “nice to see you” to “you’re so cute!” The informal form of it is قربونت برم (qorbunet beram)

It's great to read your first Persian update! We are at the same place in Spoken World right now--I just finished lesson 5. :)

I like that you chose "ghorbunet beram" as one of your special terms. It's extremely useful! I most often use it as "thank you". You can also use it at the end of questions. This week, someone asked me: پس اگه بیام می تونی باهام فارسی حرف بزنی قربونت برم؟

How do you like Colloquial Persian? It is probably one of the only Persian books I haven't tried.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5123 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 32 of 392
09 January 2011 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Hoi! Deze week heb ik niet zo veel Nederlands geleerd, maar ik hoop dat ik volgende week meer ga leren. Ik heb echter wel wat lessen van de boeken herzien, die ik afgelopen zomer gebruikte. Volgende week wil ik graag TY Dutch afmaken zodat ik op de andere boeken kan concentreren. Als ik in het Nederlands lees is het heel gemakkelijk om te begrijpen, omdat ik al Duits en Engels spreek, maar het is echt moeilijker om het juist te schrijven en spreken. Waarschijnlijk schrijf ik helemaal niet natuurlijk en maak ik veel domme fouten, maar ik meen dat fouten maken belangrijk is als je een taal goed wil leren, want dat betekent dat je de taal gebruikt en dat je van de fouten zal leren. Dus, corrigeer mijn fouten alstublieft zodat ik beter Nederlands kan spreken! Ik hou van de Nederlandse taal!

Hoi Ellasevia, ik heb wat kleine foutjes verbetert maar je maakt geen grote fouten, alleen is je stijl soms een tikje onnatuurlijk. Als je wilt kan ik er verder over uitweiden maar ik denk dat je het beste gewoon veel kan lezen en schrijven om te oefenen.

Ik vond het grappig om te zien hoe ouderwets je vocabulaire soms is. Wat voor woordenboek gebruik je? Ik heb het woord “doch” verandert omdat het inmiddels zo ouderwets is dat het onnatuurlijk klinkt, zeker voor iemand van jouw leeftijd, maar “ik meen” heb ik laten staan want dat vind ik juist wel mooi klinken.

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version