Triglot
Czech RepublicRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4405 days ago

15 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak, EnglishC1
Studies: Polish, Latin, FrenchB2, Persian, Italian

Message 89 of 236
12 April 2012 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Kerrie I read down all your log and wanted to wish you all the best in future learning. It's nice to see an American interested in a serious study of a Slavic language (even if you made that fatal mistake and didn't choose Czech ;), and it's pleasant to see the Slavic language on the top of your learning summary. Don't let the declinations deter you, I can assure you once you get into the structure of Croatian nouns and pronouns, every other Slavic language will cost you twice less effort. We are one big family here in the remote "eastern plains". :)

btw. Serpent thank you for posting the link to Lyrics Training. Recently I read an article about how to study foreign languages through music and this was exactly what I needed to start...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 90 of 236
12 April 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Cihlí. I will learn Czech, too. After Russian and Polish, probably. I was debating between those three when I decided on Russian a few weeks ago as my sixth (fun) language.

I thought about Czech or Slovak, but they're a lot closer (linguistically) to Croatian, I think. Some overlap is good - I learn better by comparing similar languages anyways. But too close would be a bad thing, this early in the game.

I've already started getting accustomed to the nominal declensions. I can recognize most of them fairly well, even if I can't reproduce them yet. It's not as hard as it seemed at first. =)

Edited by Kerrie on 12 April 2012 at 12:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 91 of 236
22 April 2012 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 

I have just been totally roped into something crazy. One of my alter-egos just signed me up for a Super Challenge. Then my other alter-ego signed me up for a Super Duper Double Whopper Challenge. (Okay, I made that one up.)

It's all Cristina's fault. (Go Cristina!) She proposed a Super Challenge: to read 100 books and watch 100 movies in your target language. The same target language for all of them!

And it's all Serpent's fault, too! (Go Serpent!) She then decided to multiply it. A few times. And so inspiration was born.

http://justpaste.it/Kerrie

I am officially signing up for the Super Challenge with 100/100 Spanish, and a 50/50 half Super Challenge with French.

The rest are my long-term goals by the time I turn forty. In honor of Meramerina and her Four by Forty. The Super Challenge (100 books, 100 movies) in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, and Portuguese. Okay, 2015 is more of a mid-range goal, not so much long term. LOL

This will give me an incentive to focus on two or three languages at a time until they are at a maintenance level, rather than keeping everything at a low-intermediate level. Plus, I love to read. And if I can find a TV show I like in the language, I am hooked. (And I already have Stargate in Spanish, French, Italian, and German.)

And for the 8 days until May starts and officially I can start working on the 6WC (French for me) and my Super Challenges, I am going to try to finish Assimil Spanish. Once I've gone through all the lessons, I will put the audio into one long file, and listen to it once a week for the rest of my life. Just kidding. At least put it on while I'm making dinner or on the treadmill or something. =)

And now Serpent wants me to add Croatian. haha. If anyone can find me a nice place to get "cheap" Croatian books (and matching audio would be a super bonus!!), please let me know and I'll add it to my long-term goals.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 92 of 236
23 April 2012 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Oh, it just dawned on me that I know someone going to Croatia this summer for a year. I wonder if they have cheap bookstores there.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 93 of 236
23 April 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
I think anything has to be cheaper there than the prices you're used to?

also, please don't feel pressured<333

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 94 of 236
23 April 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think anything has to be cheaper there than the prices you're used to?

also, please don't feel pressured<333

Shipping prices from Europe are exorbitant. When I ordered the Assimil Croate book last week, the shipping was almost $30USD. The shipping is the same whether you buy one or a hundred, so I bought a few extra, just to make it worth it. :D

Actually, I ordered the complete Greek course (which I have been eyeing for a long time, and which I will probably try to get to next year). And I also ordered the Polish, Czech, and Bulgarian books. (The audio I have matches on two of them. I may have to shell out more for the Polish when I eventually get to it, though.)

I don't normally spend money so easily, but if I am going to pay shipping for one, I may as well get the other things I am planning to purchase soon, too. (Plus, my order got here in 2-1/2 days. So I won't complain!)

As to being pressured, nope. Motivated, inspired, challenged. It's all good. =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 95 of 236
27 April 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

It's all Cristina's fault. (Go Cristina!) She proposed a Super Challenge: to read 100 books and watch 100 movies in your target language. The same target language for all of them!

Guilty as charged - again:-) Most of us start off in January all bright eyed and bushy tailed, and by May the tails are hanging sadly, but between the &WC and the Super Challenge we may get a new breath of motivation. And I love that you have added Russian to your collection of languages. How is that turning out?

As for Greek, I will put that on hold until next year, but I still consider it to be my soul language, even though I have forgotten absolutely everything - I cannot even read the alphabet anymore. Perhaps we could start on it togehter next year though, since I am determined to get back to it?

Otherwise after reading through your entire log this morning I must say you make me feel like an underachiever - I am asolutely blown away by everything you do.

Love reading the log - keep up the good work!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 96 of 236
27 April 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Ohh I know about shipping.
I just meant that if your friend can buy you stuff in Croatia, the stuff itself should be quite cheap. And you won't have to pay for the shipping:)

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version