1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 169 of 236
08 September 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
Oh, I should probably mention that I'm not doing the 6WC anymore. With my
current goals, and spreading my focus between multiple languages, it doesn't really suit
me.

Maybe you just have to participate in 6WC with the aim to stay at the top in terms of
total language hours. That's what I am doing, with my pitiful 20 hours (OK, 19 hours 58
minutes :)) of Dutch. That's not quite the purpose of 6WC but it is still a way to enjoy
it, and I love the possibility to log my study hours (what am I gonna do when 6WC is
over...?).

I thought about doing that, but I still end up choosing less productive things to do. A movie for the super challenge instead of an Assimil lesson, for example. Both are productive, but not at the same level (for me right now). I think I work better setting my own personal goals for each language, then breaking each goal into daily steps.

The first 6WC I did in May with French, I ended up totally losing track of everything but French and Spanish for a few weeks, before I realized what I was doing. For the August 6WC with Italian, I was doing really well sticking to Spanish, French, and Italian, but instead of sticking with my daily Assimil lessons (I am almost done!!), I was choosing the easy way out, justifying that it was for the Super Challenge, so it was okay. Granted, part of that was because I was rapidly getting burned out (from summer, children, work, etc) and I needed to focus on survival rather than languages. As much as I consider them important in lots of ways, it won't help if I go insane first. =)

Choosing movies for the SC is fine, when I need to cut myself some slack (like I have the past few weeks), but it's really not consistent with my short-term goals. I will probably skip the November 6WC, but then maybe in the spring, I will be further enough along with my main focus languages that I can afford to let them rest a little for awhile. Maybe I'll finally be able to find time for Dutch or Swedish then. =)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 170 of 236
09 September 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
It helps if the languages are a part of your lifestyle:) Also, don't put all egs in one basket - pretty much all my interfaces are foreign but I use Firefox and LJ in Finnish, Windows in Spanish (wanna switch to Croatian though), Anki in Portuguese, Twitter in Italian... And then there are weekly matches to watch in at least five languages.

I also feel weird about this 6WC though. Will probably never do something like that again, in terms of choosing this way :D But in a way I needed it, as an excuse to actually do some of the Spanish fun stuff that exists. I wanted to go through Assimil too (at least the crazy lessons) but there's no time for it now... at least I'm half-way done with Destinos:) And I've at least downloaded Assimil hehe.

Edited by Serpent on 09 September 2012 at 12:16am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6692 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 171 of 236
09 September 2012 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Quote:

I thought about doing that, but I still end up choosing less productive things to do. A
movie for the super challenge instead of an Assimil lesson, for example.

I think I know what you mean. During the last five weeks, at least a couple of times I
choose to watch a movie instead of doing something more productive, and I didn't have
bad conscience because I could log these minutes after all :)

Well, I've decided I'm no slave of 6WC, and I just do what I would do otherwise (or
maybe more... but not less, and not 'nicer' activities). I find 6WC much better than
the Super Challenge though... Honestly, I wouldn't want yet another excuse to read or
to watch movies :). I wouldn't want to risk choosing the easy way out.

BTW, I second the idea of doing Anki repetitions while talking over the phone. I admit
I sometimes do that :).

Edited by Julie on 09 September 2012 at 12:18am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 172 of 236
09 September 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
I find 6WC much better than the Super Challenge though... Honestly, I wouldn't want yet another excuse to read or to watch movies :). I wouldn't want to risk choosing the easy way out.

You're at a higher level with your languages than I am, though. I'm at a place (with Spanish and French, especially) that reading is a challenge, but extremely beneficial.

Movies are, too, but less so right now. The main reason I have been watching movies the past few weeks was because I need uninterrupted time to focus while I'm reading for my speed (and comprehension) to be maximized, and the kids were home from school for almost 13 weeks for summer break. There is no such thing as quiet in my house when everyone is home, so until they are in bed, reading is not productive at all, and by that time, I had no energy left to focus on anything.

I actually went to the city public library on Thursday and picked up a few dozen books. The "big" library near here is about 25 minutes away, and you can check things out for 9 weeks at a time (3 weeks, with two renewals, as long as there's no one else waiting for it). I was only planning to pick up a few Spanish books, but I looked at the French section first, and grabbed about ten of them that looked like they might be doable at my level. I was really surprised, reading the back and flipping through them, that I could understand most of it. I ended up getting 26 books. So my Super Challenge goal (after I finish Assimil for Spanish and French) is to read as much as I can. There are a lot of Hispanics in our area, and the big library has a nice selection of books in Spanish. It's not huge, but there is definitely a lot of good stuff, and enough to keep me busy for a long time. (Besides which, I have thousands of PDFs I've gotten online, although I prefer the paper copy if I can find it for a decent price.)

Edited by Kerrie on 09 September 2012 at 1:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 173 of 236
15 September 2012 at 3:49am | IP Logged 

Using Spanish. Terminado.

Next, lots and lots of reading, with a little grammar on the side.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 174 of 236
15 September 2012 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
You just made me think of using the big library near to where I work. I think I'm ok on
Spanish for now (until I get through Harry Potter) but I'd love to see their French
section. I can also pay for Alliance Française membership to access their library which
maybe I'll do as I work about a 10 minute walk away from them.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 175 of 236
15 September 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
You just made me think of using the big library near to where I work. I think I'm ok on Spanish for now (until I get through Harry Potter) but I'd love to see their French section. I can also pay for Alliance Française membership to access their library which maybe I'll do as I work about a 10 minute walk away from them.

Are you in SoCal? If you live near a university, they will often let you use their libraries, too. I have never checked any around here for foreign language books, but that might be an option, too.

Around here, most of the public libraries within 50-100 miles of here are part of a co-op, and you can request a book be brought to your library for you. It's really convenient here, since we live out in the country, and its at least half an hour drive to anywhere.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 176 of 236
15 September 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Using Spanish. Terminado.

Next, lots and lots of reading, with a little grammar on the side.
Congrats!!! ¡Felicitaciones!
How about a party to celebrate it? Um I mean a skype session and a HP movie of your choice :D

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version