236 messages over 30 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 ... 29 30 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 201 of 236
19 September 2012 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Omnomnom! Amazing!!!
How about a list of the books?

I bought Il Principe by Macchiavelli today:)

Edited by Serpent on 19 September 2012 at 2:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 202 of 236
19 September 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 

I have Il Piccolo Principe, does that count? =)

The books I got are here, here, and here.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 203 of 236
21 September 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Happy birthday!!! All the best wishes, honey<3 May all your wishes and goals fulfill!!! Rock on!
*smushes*

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 204 of 236
21 September 2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged 

Thank you. =)

For my birthday, I wish for instant fluency in 15 languages of my choice. With no work involved. haha

I've been really good at sticking to my original bunch of languages, but I am afraid this year brings a new language goal. Korean. Really. I don't want to learn to speak or read it, just to understand all the awesome K-dramas floating around the internet. And probably that K-pop I have heard of. =)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 205 of 236
21 September 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
:)))
well what about teh party? i can watch starting with like 40 mins from now:)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 206 of 236
04 November 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Well, after a bit of a much-needed hiatus (and a trip to k-drama land), I am back.

Plans for the rest of the year..

SPANISH: I'll be working on reading for the Super Challenge. 100x100 pages. I'm setting pace at 20-25 pages a day, which is taking me about 60-90 minutes. The reading itself isn't a problem, but most of the time, I am writing down all the new words I come across. For the last week, I've been averaging about 75 words a day. Considering that's three words per page, that's not to bad. Unless a word is slowing me down, though, I write it in my notebook and keep going. Then every day or two, I'll type them all into Google translate and write down the translations. The first few days of a new book are slower, but then my speed picks up a lot. In some ways, this is counter-productive, because most of the words I can figure out from context, but I want to activate all (or at least most) of the vocabulary I am seeing.

FRENCH: I was going to work on a grammar book, and probably still will to some extent, but I feel like my biggest obstacle for French now if vocabulary. Compared to my level in Spanish, I feel like I can't do anything at all in French. Of course, I know that's not true, especially since I'm not having any trouble using French-based Assimil courses. Right now, I'm going through the first Harry Potter book with Linq and writing down all the words that I wouldn't be able to actively come up with. Which is a lot, but not nearly as many as I thought it would be. =)

After doing that for a chapter or two and learning those words, I will probably start reading the book and do something similar to what I'm doing with Spanish, although I'm sure I'll be reading a lot slower. I will probably add audio some of the time, too.

AND THEN... There is the Assimil experiment.

ITALIAN: I am between lesson 65-70, and will continue to work on this. I'm also starting to do an "active" wave, which I didn't do with Spanish and French. I will probably start a vocab notebook for Italian like I have with Spanish and French, too. Anything I have trouble remembering during the active wave can be reinforced with that.

PORTUGUESE: I am officially doing Portuguese, Croatian, and Turkish for the Assimil experiment. The Portuguese lessons are ungodly short, though, and I won't be sticking to one lesson a day. I'm planning on 2-3 lessons a day - I have 40 minutes set aside for Portuguese every day. Once I hit the active wave, that will probably slow down a little. I still anticipate flying through the Assimil course, though, and probably jumping into HP with audio early next year.

CROATIAN: Too long, I have been neglecting this beautiful language. I'm hoping that my commitment to it for The Experiment will give me enough of a push to get with it and stick with it.

TURKISH: Besides German, this is the last language I am doing a Super Challenge for. My SC is only for movies, but I want to learn as much as possible as well. So, crazy me, I decided to sign up Turkish for my third Assimil experiment. I am curious how much I can learn in 40-50 minutes a day for six months. This is definitely the hardest Assimil course I've started working on, but I am only on lesson 4 and I'm already staring to see patterns and recognize little things. I am optimistic. :)

KOREAN: I have been completely blind-sided. I started watching k-dramas this summer when I was burned out, stressed out, and needed some serious R&R. I totally fell in love. I am not a TV watcher, so this completely threw me off-guard. LOL. I am trying to find a few minutes every day to work on learning the Korean alphabet on memrise. I have the first two comprehensive Pimsleur sets and the Assimil course. I haven't decided where to start. If I can find the time to squeeze it in.

GERMAN: German? What's that? Blah, who needs German anyways? This is one of those languages I feel like I should learn, but I just can't seem to get into it. If I have time left over in the day after all my other languages have been tended to, I would like to find time for German. Maybe I need to move to another planet that has more hours in a day.

RUSSIAN: Once I'm finished with the Assimil Italian and Portuguese courses, I would like to add Russian to the list.

SWEDISH or NORWEGIAN: If I can ever figure out which one of these has more native literature, I will probably start one of these in the spring, if I can make myself wait that long. =)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 207 of 236
04 November 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
:))) Great to see an update from you!
As for Swedish/Norwegian - do you mean native as in not translated from a language in which you could read it? Swedish will give you an access to Finnish literature as well, and to books by writers from Finland who write in Swedish :) In this regard, Swedish is better. With Norwegian there's also the issue of bokmål/nynorsk/dialects :S Though being able to read literature in all three Scandinavian langs is a great goal ;P

aaargh you make me embarrassed that I'm doing just one Assimil course. Well I'm hopefully doing Swedish as well, will just start later. And what else, Croatian?...

Also, I'm going to be a real serpent and say take a break from German. You're clearly not motivated right now. Get back to it when you start missing it.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 208 of 236
04 November 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 

Haha. I have been taking a break from German. Even if I have extra time, Korean will come before German. Maybe that's why I'm looking at Norwegian or Swedish, to get interested in the Germanic languages again. =)

I hadn't thought about Swedish lit from Finland. It seems like there's a lot of folks doing the Norwegian Assimil course for the experiment, and it just seems odd. Swedish has always seemed more popular (on HTLAL anyways).

I don't know. I've been debating between the two of them for awhile, but I am more interested in being able to read than any else. Isn't written Norwegian like a completely different language than spoken Norwegian?

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version