236 messages over 30 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 29 30 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 185 of 236
16 September 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
The feeling never goes away, but gradually you gain enough confidence to ignore it/take it as feedback but not be upset by it.

Edited by Serpent on 16 September 2012 at 4:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 186 of 236
17 September 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The feeling never goes away, but gradually you gain enough confidence to ignore it/take it as feedback but not be upset by it.

Oh, it doesn't upset me. I hope it didn't come across like that! :D

If I think about how far I've come in the last 6-7 months with my French, it's really amazing. I've been amazed at how consistent I've been AND how much I've learned.

I learn best, especially at the early stages, by writing. So it was quite a revelation when I realized how much French I've written. Copied. It's almost all from my Assimil book, which goes to show how much is actually in those little books.

I'm curious now, how well prepared I am to go back to my French-based Assimil courses (Croatian, Turkish, Portuguese), and if the French will slow me down much. I'm sure it will a little bit, especially when I am used to reading English and listening to the target language.

I'm tempted to do an experiment and add Catalan (with a Spanish base) and see how different it is, learning from my L2 vs learning from my L3. My L2 is far better than my L3, so it might be interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 187 of 236
17 September 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged 

So, French speakers.....

I'm sure there is a sound difference to the native ear between -ant and -ent.. I keep mixing them up in spelling. I don't hear the difference, my ear hasn't learned to distinguish between them...

I have a tendency to mix the spellings up in English as well. Words like attendance I always have to check myself on.

Anyone have any tips to help?

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 188 of 236
17 September 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

So, French speakers.....

I'm sure there is a sound difference to the native ear between -ant and -ent.. I keep
mixing them up in spelling. I don't hear the difference, my ear hasn't learned to
distinguish between them...

I have a tendency to mix the spellings up in English as well. Words like
attendance I always have to check myself on.

Anyone have any tips to help?

They have the same ipa symbol so there shouldn't be a difference (I've never heard
one). And I know what you mean - before I started learning French my spelling was
always close to 100% perfect. Then I started doing things like mixing up -ance and -
ence. I'll gladly take the occasional slip for fluency in another language, though.

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4694 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 189 of 236
17 September 2012 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Hm, I would have said FSI Phonology, but reading the index of the PDF I see they don't cover -ant and -ent, but perhaps you should go through the pronunciation of the vowels anyhow (in case you haven't done that already) I found it extremly beneficial.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 190 of 236
17 September 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
Hm, I would have said FSI Phonology, but reading the index of the PDF I see they don't cover -ant and -ent, but perhaps you should go through the pronunciation of the vowels anyhow (in case you haven't done that already) I found it extremly beneficial.

FSI Phonology is a good idea. I think I will add that to my to-do list once Assimil is done. :D

Two more lessons. I am going to finish today.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 236
17 September 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Just anecdata, but in Russian we have plenty of loan words from French that have 'a' where English has 'e' :D And Portuguese also has 'a' there which is written as 'a' :D And yesterday I was watching an interview with a Romanian player who's now in France and he was asked "are you confidAAANT" with a hilarious AAAAAA.

In fact even in English -ant/-ent are pronounced the same in many unstressed syllables, just like with doctor/driver.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 192 of 236
17 September 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Just anecdata, but in Russian we have plenty of loan words from French that have 'a' where English has 'e' :D And Portuguese also has 'a' there which is written as 'a' :D And yesterday I was watching an interview with a Romanian player who's now in France and he was asked "are you confidAAANT" with a hilarious AAAAAA.

In fact even in English -ant/-ent are pronounced the same in many unstressed syllables, just like with doctor/driver.

Yep, the -er/-or endings I have to think about, too. I'm just glad my computer will underline them in a red squiggly line if I don't spell it right. =)

I promised myself I could start my Portuguese course after I got done with this French book...

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version