United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 57 of 236
12 February 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'll continue learning it because I want to learn it. And I don't mind the Assimil lessons. It was the Living Language Ultimate French that pushed me over the edge. Most of the (French) music I've found, I don't really like. But there are a handful of artists that I do like, and I'll continue to look for more.

I guess I don't really plan to give it up completely, but rather to focus most of my energy elsewhere for awhile.

I have enough time now, at least in theory, that I should be able to study my main 3-4 languages every day, and get to the others at least a few times a week. We'll see how it ends up going once I get into a routine schedule this coming week. =)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 58 of 236
13 February 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
This week was the first week in more than a year that I haven't been working two jobs. I had planned on getting into hard study habits right away, but I really needed a break. For the past four months, I've been working 60-70 hours a week, and I decided to take a week to relax a little.

Okay, that's not really true. It wasn't a conscious decision. I actually got hooked on a Turkish drama series last Sunday night. (Oh, my goodness. Don't ever start watching one of those things, because you will be glued to it until the whole damn series is over!)

I actually got a lot of practice listening to Turkish by watching Menekse and Halil. (See the link a few posts up.) I watched most of it with Bosnian (and English) subs, so I actually learned some Bosnian from it as well. And for anyone wondering, no, I did not watch the whole series this past week. After seven or eight episodes, I decided to cheat and watch the last two episodes. I knew how it was going to end, anyways.

A part of me says it was a colossal waste of time (which is how I see almost everything on TV), but another part of me says that it was an excuse for some much needed rest after the past few months of working my butt off. And, realistically, it was educational, too. =)

I actually did get a few other things done this week.

Spanish

Assimil (Lessons 22-28)
Harry Potter (Chapters 1-3)
Michel Thomas Vocabulary (Disc 1)

French

Assimil (Lessons 8-14)
Harry Potter (LR'd Chapter 1)
Ultimate French (Lessons 7-8)

German

Reviewed Assimil Lessons 1-7

Croatian/Bosnian & Turkish
Livemocha Croatian 101 - four lessons
Lots of Menekse & Halil

I did virtually nothing with Italian and Portuguese this week, other than listen to a little music.

Total for the week:

Spanish: 3h 15m
French:   2h 30m
German:   30 min
Croatian: 1h 25m

My goal for this coming week is to double that, and get at least 15 hours of study in. I figure I spent that much time watching Turkish dramas last week, so I should be able to handle it with a little time management this week. =)

Edited by Kerrie on 13 February 2012 at 5:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 59 of 236
18 February 2012 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Random musings.

I was just on the phone talking to a (company's customer service) computer - you know, the ones that you answer their questions verbally, instead of punching in numbers? When they were finished with what I called about, I was answering their little survey, and Mr. Computer asks me if my issue was resolved. And I said Yes. And then I mumbled I hope so! And then he asked me again, and I had to refrain from being a smart@ss the second time around.

And it got me thinking. I wonder if my accent in my target languages is "close enough" for a computer to understand me. That would mean that I've got the basic pronunciation correct, right? Am I the only person in the world who thinks these random things?

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 60 of 236
18 February 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I understand about not like the way a language sounds. That's why I haven't learned Spanish and why its so far down my list. I cant stand the way it sounds. And too bad b/c there are a lot of great materials too.

Kerrie wrote:
Well, I'll continue learning it because I want to learn it. And I don't mind the Assimil lessons. It was the Living Language Ultimate French that pushed me over the edge. Most of the (French) music I've found, I don't really like. But there are a handful of artists that I do like, and I'll continue to look for more.

I guess I don't really plan to give it up completely, but rather to focus most of my energy elsewhere for awhile.

I have enough time now, at least in theory, that I should be able to study my main 3-4 languages every day, and get to the others at least a few times a week. We'll see how it ends up going once I get into a routine schedule this coming week. =)

What music have you found that you liked?

I'm looking for some new artists, I've found a few people or songs that are nice, but I'm always on the prowl for more

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 61 of 236
18 February 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
And it got me thinking. I wonder if my accent in my target languages is
"close enough" for a computer to understand me. That would mean that I've got the basic
pronunciation correct, right? Am I the only person in the world who thinks these random
things?
I tried switching my iPhone to French to see how I would do. First
discovery: Siri is a man in French! But I couldn't even get it to set an alarm.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 62 of 236
20 February 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 

@ blackdahlia - I like some of the stuff by Jenifer Bartoli (Au Soleil), and Laura Pausini has a bunch of songs in French, although they're a lot harder to find, since most of them were never put out officially. A lot of them are on Youtube, though. (She's got stuff in Portuguese, too.)

@ kanewai - I don't even have a smartphone, so I know nothing about Siri, except what I saw on The Big Bang Theory, where Raj kinda developed 'a thing' for her. That's interesting that they use a different gender in French though. Is it all based on vocal commands?

Week of February 13-19

Spanish

Assimil Lesson 29
Michel Thomas Vocabulary (1/2 of Disc 2)
Harry Potter - Capítulo 4

French

Assimil Lesson 15
Livemocha Active French 1: Unit 1

German

Assimil Lesson 8

Italian

Michel Thomas Foundation Course (Discs 1-8)

I've decided to try something different for a few weeks. I was thinking about the Six Week Challenge, and how it's so inspiring watching some of you guys making such progress. I don't want to devote six weeks to a single language right now, but I'm challenging myself for the next two weeks to see how much Italian I can get done. I finished the Michel Thomas Foundation course Saturday and Sunday, and have a few other specific goals in mind for the next two weeks. You can read about my 2WC - Italian Itinerary here.   I'm doing this with Italian instead of any of my other languages because I've studied it to a low-intermediate level before and then dropped it and forgotten all of it. I felt like I couldn't string two words together to save my life, but I was feeling totally bored with the little bit of "beginner" stuff I was working on every day. So I intend to plow through the Michel Thomas courses (Foundation, Language Builder, Vocabulary, and Advanced) and the Living Language Ultimate Italian to regain my footing with it. Then I'll be able to work more (at least some of the time) with stuff that's more fun. I know I'll still have plenty of grammar and stuff to learn, but it'll be a lot more fun that way.

If this works out well with Italian, I might do it with French, Portuguese, and German as well. We'll see how it goes. =)

Total for the week:

Spanish: 1h 15m
Italian: 8h 0m
French: 40m
German: 35m
Croatian: 20m

Total for 2012:

Spanish: 7h 15m
French: 9h 10m
Italian: 10h 0m
Croatian: 5h 10m
German: 2h 5m
Portuguese: 3h

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 63 of 236
27 February 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 

I've been mostly focusing on Italian this week, and I find it rather effective to focus most of my efforts at only one or two languages, especially at the beginner stage.

Feb 20 - 26

Italian
MT Foundation Review Disc 1-2
MT Language Builder 1-2
MT Vocabulary 1-2
LL Ultimate Italian Reviewed Lesson 1-2
Cortina Italian - Lesson 1-2, part of 3
Livemocha Italian 101 - finished the last four lessons
Anki input and review

Portuguese
MT Foundation Course 1-2

Total for the week:

Italian: 8h 30m
Portuguese: 2h
Total: 10h 30m

Total for 2012:

Spanish: 7h 15m
French: 9h 10m
Italian: 18h 30m
Croatian: 5h 10m
German: 2h 5m
Portuguese: 5h
Total: 47h 15m

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 64 of 236
01 March 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I think you're right - I do a lot better when I can keep a primary focus on one language.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version