236 messages over 30 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 29 30 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 105 of 236
10 May 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Wow, congratulations!!!

Don't worry, sounds like my first experience with a Finnish audiobook - although it's totally phonetic and supposedly easy to understand if you can read it.

Yeeees, that's how I got used to Polish writing too. I used to be able to understand it but struggle making sense of the diacritics, digraphs etc.

Peter Pan? aww, is it from your library? Or can you share it with a teammate?;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 106 of 236
10 May 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 

It is from the library. And I can't read it yet - some day, I hope. But I kinda figured I'd take it home and adopt it for a few weeks. I really doubt anyone else will be looking for it between now and then anyways. =)

Edited by Kerrie on 10 May 2012 at 1:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 107 of 236
10 May 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Looool they'll survive without it :P In fact if they knew about your interest in Croatian, they'd be happy to let you keep it!!!

Also, I know that feeling you have about French/Spanish. I refuse to get any language above my Finnish, and I also refuse to let my Spanish get as good as it could be. That's why I'm not doing a super challenge in it, though I suppose I'll get 100 "movies" anyway.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 108 of 236
10 May 2012 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
I just posted this over in another thread, but I will put it in my log, too.

Here's my Harry Potter collection.

Chinese (1-7), Spanish (1-6), Russian (1-6), Japanese (1-6), French (1-4, 6), Polish (1-5), Italian (1-4), German (1-4), Modern Greek (1-2, 3-4), Dutch (1, 2, 4), Turkish (1, 5, 6), Korean (1-3), Portuguese (1, 4, 5), Czech (2, 4), Hungarian (1, 2), Ukrainian (1-2), Swedish (1, 3), Welsh (1), Catalan (1), Arabic (1), Urdu (1), Vietnamese (6), Finnish (3), Slovak (2), Lithuanian (2), Danish (1).

And my Assimil collection.

English based (Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Using Spanish, Using French)
Spanish based (Russian, Catalan, French, German)
French based (Serbo-Croatian, Croatian, Turkish, Modern Greek, Czech, Russian, Polish, Bulgarian, English)
the OLD 50s versions: Russian Without Toil, Grec Sans Peine, Portugais Sans Peine

I bought a box of Assimil books on eBay a few months ago that had two books that I wanted - the Using French and Using Spanish. It came with about 12 other books that I don't have much use for (to learn English, for example), but it was cheaper than buying the two I wanted separately. :D

Edited by Kerrie on 12 July 2012 at 3:13pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 109 of 236
10 May 2012 at 5:58am | IP Logged 

I just spent an hour looking through the Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar. I didn't realize how much French grammar I don't know. How much grammar can you squeeze into 250 pages?! Wow.

I have never "seriously" studied French before. I took a 3 week "intensive" class in French about fifteen years ago. I did about forty-five lessons of Pimsleur five or six years ago, and kind of lost steam about halfway through Pimsleur II. I have leafed through Living Language's Ultimate French. And I learned a lot.

Enough to read French fairly well. I was actually marveling the other night at the fact that I have very little trouble with my French-based Croatian Assimil book. I have a pretty decent accent, but I can barely understand spoken French.

When I was looking through the Practice Makes Perfect book tonight, it made me realize how little French I know. (How the heck did I follow an entire book in French?) The tenses look crazy when you try to organize them on paper.

Which doesn't really make any sense. When I'm reading French, I can read it and I can tell you what it says. I understand the tenses. They make sense, in pretty much the same way English does. And Spanish. They follow a pattern. Does it have to be as complicated as the book makes it out to be?

I'm debating the utility of focusing on grammar, or simply jumping into more materials and learning it through assimilation. I don't mind doing grammar exercises, but it's a lot more fun to watch a Quidditch match in French than to do grammar exercises.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 110 of 236
16 May 2012 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I'm debating the utility of focusing on grammar, or simply jumping into more materials and learning it through assimilation. I don't mind doing grammar exercises, but it's a lot more fun to watch a Quidditch match in French than to do grammar exercises.

My thoughts exactly. Noone ever studies grammar when they learn their first language anyway, Grammar may be useful to have a basic understanding of the framework of the language, but at least for me, if I want to actually learn to use it, I need to hear native matrial.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 111 of 236
28 May 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged 

Wow. I can't believe it's been more than two weeks since I posted here.

I've been busy with French for the 6WC, but I've switched part of my focus to my Spanish Super Challenge. I'm reading Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal, as well as the first Lemony Snicket book (in Spanish), and watching Harry Potter and Stargate in Spanish and French right now.

So far for my Super Challenges in Spanish and French:

Spanish 100/100

audiobooks, movies, TV shows:

1.   La Sirenita (The Little Mermaid), film, finished May 17, 2012
2.   Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal, film, finished May 19, 2012
3.   Stargate SG1, (The Torment of Tantalus) (The Nox), subs & dubs, finished May 27, 2012
4.   Stargate SG1, (Fire and Water) (Hathor), subs & dubs, finished May 27, 2012

French 100/100

audiobooks, movies, TV shows:

1. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, audiobook, finished May 8, 2012
6. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, film, finished May 10, 2012
7. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, film, finished May 16, 2012
8. Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets, film subs, finished May 19, 2012
9. Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets, film audio, finished May 19, 2012
10. Stargate SG1 Children of the Gods, TV subs, finished May 20, 2012
11 Stargate SG1 S01E3 Emancipation, FR subs, then FR audio & subs, finished May 21, 2012
12. Harry Potter et le Prisionnier d'Azkaban, film subs, finished May 23, 2012

I have discovered that watching the movie with English audio and French subtitles first, then switching to French audio and English subs helps me learn a lot. I'm looking forward reading Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers (without the audio this time) and seeing how much more I get out of it.

I ordered the complete Stargate set from Amazon France, and it has audio in Spanish, French, German, and Italian (at least a few seasons for each language). I also ordered the Blu-ray Harry Potter set with all eight movies from Amazon UK, which has all of my target languages except for Russian and Croatian on them. I am excited for them to come. :D

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 112 of 236
30 May 2012 at 2:41am | IP Logged 

I have decided that the 6WC is not for me. I find myself trying to clock minutes (and hours) instead of getting things accomplished.

It used to be that I had a goal for each language for the day. One chapter of my Spanish book. One French Assimil lesson. Half of Disc 3 of Michel Thomas for German. The first half of the unit of Colloquial Croatian, and 10 new vocab words off Facebook. (Yes, I do that. It's actually useful sometimes!)

I never used to count time. I loosely kept track, and tried to fit my designated activities into a general time frame. 20-30 minutes for an Assimil lesson, etc. But that was a result of getting goal x, y, or z accomplished.

Now, I find myself doing things that are not at my level, and not really within my current goals, simply to count time. I can watch a Harry Potter movie in French, and clock two and a half hours. Or I can spend a half hour doing an Assimil lesson, an hour working on my Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar book, and learn 10 times more. It's a much better use of my time, both in quantity and quality.

Granted, watching a movie in my target language will be useful. With my Spanish level right now, more native/natural material is perfect. I can watch Harry Potter or Stargate in Spanish and not even think about it being in another language, even when I don't understand every word. This is the perfect time for that, because the next materials I use will be completely new, and it will stretch my language abilities.

But I'm not at that point with French yet. And if I want to have a fighting chance at finishing my Super Challenge by the end of next year, I need to do more active studying right now.

I am going back to my "original" goals with French. Nevermind trying to place in the top ten for the 6WC. I am going to finish Assimil (about 25 lessons left, so about 2 per day for the next two weeks). I am going to finish the Michel Thomas courses (three more Vocabulary and the Advanced course left), and I am going to continue working with Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar. I will still splurge from time to time and watch a Stargate episode here or there, or watch Harry. But I think I'll save most of that for once I'm finished with Assimil, and have finished an advanced course and a grammar book. I have The Teach Yourself Improve Your French, and the advanced Assimil French book - I'm not sure which one I will decide to do, but I feel like I need to put more homework before I go out for recess to play. =)

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version