Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 177 of 236
15 September 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Are you in SoCal? If you live near a university, they will often let you
use their libraries, too. I have never checked any around here for foreign language
books, but that might be an option, too.

Around here, most of the public libraries within 50-100 miles of here are part of a co-
op, and you can request a book be brought to your library for you. It's really convenient
here, since we live out in the country, and its at least half an hour drive to anywhere.

Nor Cal so I get access to Link+. I think I'll go over to the library after work one of
these days and start browsing. It definitely is convenient living somewhere that has so
many foreign language resources :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 178 of 236
15 September 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Kerrie wrote:

Using Spanish. Terminado.

Next, lots and lots of reading, with a little grammar on the side.
Congrats!!! ¡Felicitaciones!
How about a party to celebrate it? Um I mean a skype session and a HP movie of your choice :D

¡Gracias!

I'll take a raincheck on the HP party, though. (My allergies have been kicking my butt. My eyes are infected and I can't even keep them open for more than an hour or two at a time.) Give me a few days and then we'll party. =)

Besides, now I have to go finish Using French. THAT will be an occasion to party! If I can finish it by Thursday, we could have a birthday party and an HP party at the same time. =)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 179 of 236
15 September 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
aww what a cool expression:) thanks for reminding that English is a wonderful language too! :D
a birthday party sounds fantastic! how many French lessons do you have left? and should I add anything to the competed goals at the consistency thread?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 180 of 236
15 September 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:

Nor Cal so I get access to Link+. I think I'll go over to the library after work one of these days and start browsing. It definitely is convenient living somewhere that has so many foreign language resources :-)

I would imagine your public libraries have lots of stuff, especially for Spanish. I am surprised how much stuff our library has for French, but most of it is older, so they may have been donated from an estate or something.

Then there is always the internet. =)

Serpent wrote:
aww what a cool expression:) thanks for reminding that English is a wonderful language too! :D
a birthday party sounds fantastic! how many French lessons do you have left? and should I add anything to the competed goals at the consistency thread?

Haha. Consistency? I'm really not sure what that is anymore. =)

I only have 7 or 8 lessons left for the French, and I am going to try to double up this week because I want to be finished with it. =)

Right now, though, I have five children instead of two, and they're being particularly noisy. My head is really not happy about it. Maybe if I turn my mp3 player with songs in 10 languages on, I can scare them off. =)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 181 of 236
15 September 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 

Wow. I just finished filling up my second spiral notebook of copying French lessons. Granted, the second one was already half-used, but still.. that's more than 100 pages front and back of writing French.

It's really strange, too. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I wonder if that feeling ever goes away, or if that really means that I'm making progress. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 182 of 236
16 September 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
It's really strange, too. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't
know. I wonder if that feeling ever goes away, or if that really means that I'm making
progress. :D

That feeling still hasn't gone away.

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4694 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 183 of 236
16 September 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
It's really strange, too. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't
know. I wonder if that feeling ever goes away, or if that really means that I'm making
progress. :D

That feeling still hasn't gone away.

I'm afraid this feeling will never go away.
I recently read Marlowe's Doctor Faustus for my Advanced Super Challenge and realised that even after over 20 years of studying English I couldn't name all seven deadly sins (I missed out sloth and gluttony), which I think is a bit embarrassing, because I consider this common knowledge.
Now, reading Robert Louis Stevenson, I realise I really need to work on my knowledge of trees and plants...
So, I take this feeling as an orientation on what to work next.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 184 of 236
16 September 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
Now, reading Robert Louis Stevenson, I realise I really need to work on my knowledge of trees and plants... So, I take this feeling as an orientation on what to work next.

There are things that I don't know in my native language. I remember reading The Plains of Passage (the fourth book of the Clan of the Cave Bear series) and feeling lost because I didn't know half of the plant names she used. (Of course, the author was a botanist, and most native speakers were probably wondering what she was talking about, too!)

Some of it is definitely worth learning, but (to me) some of that stuff is better going in one ear and out the other. =)

You're right, though. With French, I know there are lots (and lots and lots) of holes in my grammar. Things that I can understand, but I wouldn't know what form to use. I haven't figured out the tous-tout thing. I still haven't figured out the rules for using de vs du or de la. That's one of the weaknesses of Assimil, I think. (And realistically, I could find out in five minutes if I opened my grammar book or just googled it!) I'm not worried about it, but I know those holes are there.

After I finish Using French this week, I'll start using Practice Makes Perfect Complete French Grammar. I'll also start using Anki - I'm thinking 20 words a day should be manageable, especially since a lot of the focus will be to bring passive words into my active vocabulary. And I'll pick one of the dual-language books someone posted years ago. I will have to poke through them and see which one is best for my level.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version