United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 65 of 236
05 March 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I just found this Basic Croatian blog/course that looks rather interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 66 of 236
06 March 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 

Disappointing week for me.

I have spent the last few days watching some of Professor Arguelles videos about setting up regular study habits, motivation, time management and such. I've been working a single job (from home) for four weeks now. (I was working two for over a year, and over-extending myself a bit!) And although I get my work done, I find myself wasting an inordinate amount of time. I am so frustrated with myself! I try convincing myself I'm just taking a much-needed break after busting my butt for the last six months, but that excuse went out the window after the first week or two.

The fact of the matter is, I have more than enough time to study if I choose to. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to get into regular study habits. I've been thinking about some of the ideas he presented, and I'm going to try to figure something out that will work for me.

On another note, I was thinking about using the Spanish version of Assimil Portuguese, but it is European Portuguese rather than Brazilian Portuguese. I was looking around online to see how much of a difference there is between the two. It seems that there is a much bigger difference than I realized, and the differences go well beyond pronunciation issues. This is frustrating, because the Michel Thomas course I've started is also European. The Living Language Ultimate Portuguese book that I was planning to use next seemingly tries to teach both.

So, outside of Pimsleur and my French version of Assimil, I'm not really sure where to start. I'm not a big fan of Pimsleur for Romance languages. I think our local library has a copy of Teach Yourself Brazilian Portuguese, but they don't have the audio for it. I don't really feel like my French is at a high enough level that I can learn from it without a lot of struggles, but I may end up going that route with the Assimil book. Are there any other solid programs out there for Brazilian Portuguese?

Total for the week:

Spanish: 2h 30m
French:   1h 5m
Croatian:   50m
Portuguese: 20m
Total: 4h 45m

Total for 2012:

Spanish: 9h 45m
French: 10h 15m
Italian: 18h 30m
Croatian: 6h 0m
German: 2h 5m
Portuguese: 5h 20m
Total: 52h 0m

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 67 of 236
06 March 2012 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - this sounds like basic human nature! I find that I get a lot more studying done during the work week, when I have almost no free time, than during the weekends, when I theoretically have all the free time in the world.

The free time disappears somehow.

One thing I like about MT and Pimsleur is that I can put on my headphones and go through the lessons while cooking, or cleaning up around the house, or just going for a walk. That might help, if you haven't tried it yet. I think Prof. Arguelles even recommends studying while moving.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 68 of 236
06 March 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
I normally listen to audio-only programs while I'm walking or exercising. I have a hard time concentrating if I'm cleaning and stuff, though. When I'm not working or studying, I'll have music on in the background (in my target languages, of course), which drives my kids crazy when they have friends over. =)

On a bright note, I just found that I have the Teach Yourself Brazilian Portuguese book, along with the CDs, sitting on my shelf. Go figure. I would say I have too many language books, but. . . not possible. =)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 69 of 236
06 March 2012 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
*hugs*
but do you continue listening to music? I think you just need more fun in your language learning:) Check the @ajatt twitter for example:)

idk, in my opinion the differences in written Portuguese are very minor.
for Brazilian Portuguese, I really love the GLOSS lessons. you might be able to do them thanks to your knowledge of other Romance languages. I love how it's not the usual textbook-rubbish.
Good luck!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 70 of 236
06 March 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
@ Serpent: Music, always music. Yes. =)

I've realized that I don't accomplish as much with "fun" stuff as I do with textbooks and the like. And I don't mind textbooks, as long as I have some variety in what I'm studying from.

Yesterday, I started working in 20 minute chunks. I actually got a lot accomplished that way, so I'm going to keep doing that for awhile and see how it goes. Instead of sitting down staring at something, I can make myself focus on one thing for a short time. I can study for a long time that way with little breaks in between, as long as I switch languages every 20 minutes or half hour.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 71 of 236
13 March 2012 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 

I've been studying in 20 minute chunks, and it seems like it's working for me. I'm getting at least an hour or two of studying done each day, and trying to get to most of my languages for at least 20 minutes every day.

I will try to post an update later (maybe tonight) on my details of what I've been doing, but I wanted to get this update up for now.

Total for the week:

Spanish: 1h 40m
French:   1h 40m
Italian:   1h 0m
Croatian:   9h 30m
Portuguese: 50m
German:      40m
Greek:       40m
Total:   16h

Total for 2012:

Spanish: 11h 25m
French: 11h 55m
Italian: 19h 30m
Croatian: 15h 30m
Portuguese: 6h 10m
German: 2h 45m
Greek:     40m
Total: 68h 0m

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 72 of 236
13 March 2012 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Switching languages like that is pretty impressive! I find that I need a break in between for most of them, just to give my brain time to switch over.

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version