United States
Joined 5756 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 236
02 January 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your new and very ambitious language log, Kerrie! You have a lot of them - and so it is for a true Language Nerd. They jusy keep on coming! "Hey, Croatian followed me home, can I keep him, please, Ma, pleeeeeeze. . . ."

I'm amassing quite a collection too and am wondering how I'll keep up.

But I believe that you have discovered a very useful little forum log trick! I've never noticed it before: if you start each new log as a Goal or Journal Entry instead of calling it a log, you can make a list of your different log projects in your profile. Maybe it's been done before and I missed it, but still, it's good to know!

Happy 2012!

Edited by meramarina on 02 January 2012 at 4:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 26 of 236
02 January 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
But I believe that you have discovered a very useful little forum log trick! I've never noticed it before: if you start each new log as a Goal or Journal Entry instead of calling it a log, you can make a list of your different log projects in your profile. Maybe it's been done before and I missed it, but still, it's good to know!

Happy 2012!

I figured out how to do what exactly?

I just start new logs each year because I've always failed miserably before. This time is going to be different. Really, it is. (No, seriously!)

Happy 2012 to you, too, Meramarina. Here's to a New Year that brings lots of goodies to all of us!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 27 of 236
02 January 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Reserved (for music)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 236
02 January 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/member-language-p rofile.asp?PF=26399&submenu=journal
I think this doesn't depend on what you choose in that box (goal, journal entry, milestone). I have this in my profile as well:)
(But I think you need to choose a language from the list. I don't want to, it will get it tagged with the language and it would be unfair not to tag it with all other languages and then it would be too huge, so I left that field open and tagged my entry only with TAC)

Edited by Serpent on 02 January 2012 at 5:52am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 29 of 236
02 January 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Oh, okay. I guess I put English because that is the only language I ever claim to be able to speak. Everything else has the status of studies.

People always ask me how many languages I speak, and I always tell them. "One. English, and that's only on good days!"

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 30 of 236
02 January 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged 

I ended up working longer than I planned today, but I have to go to bed and get back on my regular schedule. I have to go back to work Tuesday morning (and I get up at 4:30), and I've been staying up til 3:30 or 4 for the past week, so I told myself I had to be in bed by 1 today, and then aim for midnight tomorrow night.

So I didn't get done as much as I'd like, but I got the basics done for four of my five primary languages, and reviewed some French.

January 1, 2012

Assimil Spanish (Lessons 19-20)
Assimil French (Lesson 9)
Assimil Italian (Lesson 10)
Assimil Portuguese (Lesson 3)

Ultimate French - Reviewed Lessons 1-4

I have a confession to make. I've fallen in love with Croatian music. I could listen to it all day and not get tired of it. I turn the radio on when I'm not doing something that requires my brain power, and I have written down dozens (and dozens) of songs I need to look up.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 31 of 236
02 January 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Oh, and Solfrid Cristin is evil. ;-) She is trying to get me to study Russian, too. I'm trying to hold off, but part of me is thinking that another 15-2o minutes of just one more Assimil course is not going to make any difference! I am planning to wait at least a few weeks until I've gotten everything else into a steady routine, and I finish my TESOL Certification course (which should be by the beginning of February). I will at least wait until next year. (I really hope I have the willpower to wait for three more days. If I don't, then I am really in trouble!)

Yep. That's me. The Wicked Queen of Russian. :-) The absolute irony would of course be if I inspire other people to learn Russian,yet do not manage to learn it myself. Though with the new inspiration of the new year and the new team I am sure I will do fine. I should probably have been on this team though, with my combination of Russian and a bunch of Romance languages, but since the Romance ones are strictly at upkeep/revival level, I thought it would be better to be on a Russian focused team. I will keep an eye on your log though, I like your writing style.

And what led me to HTLAL in the first place was an entry in Bosnian on the facebbok page of one of my friends. I would love to learn Croatian one day too. Not this year though.Most definitely not.Or at least, I do not think so. Now. :-)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 32 of 236
03 January 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
January 2, 2012

Assimil Spanish (Lessons 21-23)
Assimil French (Lesson 10-11)
Assimil Italian (Lesson 11)
Assimil Portuguese (Lesson 4)
Assiml S/Croatian (Lesson 10)
Assimil German (Lesson 6)

Ultimate French - Reviewed Lessons 5-6
MT French Foundation Review 1

I also edited and condensed the audio (dialogs only) for some of the things I'm working on. I'm hoping to have enough time to do this on the weekends, as it makes studying so much simpler during the week.

Assimil - Portuguese, German, and Croatian, (1-14)
Assimil - Italian (1-21)
Assimil - French (1-21)
Assimil - Spanish (1-42)
Ultimate French (1-15)

I'm looking for my CDs to the Ultimate Italian (Beginner-Intermediate), but I think they're packed away at the bottom of a room full of boxes. It might be easier to see if the library has them than to try to find them in there!

The best line of the day comes from lesson 11. Un jour, à Lyon, un jeune homme monte dans un bus, et commence à mâcher du chewing-gum. Il y a une vieille dame assise en face. Elle regarde le jeune pendant cinq minutes, et elle dit: C'est inutil d'articuler comme ça, jeune homme. Je suis complètement sourde!

I'm not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow after more than a week off. It'll mean less time for the fun stuff in life. But c'est la vie, eh?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version