Joined 4518 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 121 of 236
31 May 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

Yes, I'm doing the French with Ease, and will probably do the Using French (their advanced course) next. I just finished Spanish with Ease a few weeks ago, and I'm also doing German with Ease, and Le Croate. I like Assimil, they are very effective. =)

I am also doing Michel Thomas and Practice Makes Perfect (Complete French Grammar), but those are secondary to Assimil right now.

Good lord woman! that's a lot of Assimil. I can't talk though as I too like the series and plan on following With Ease up with Without Toil and have already tracked down German Without Toil to use in the not-so-soon future. *makes note to go stalk ebay for others*

And FYI I'm drooling over your new HP blu rays. Enjoy them!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 122 of 236
31 May 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 

Last time I checked, Amazon (US) has the Spanish, French, Italian, and German sets (with audio) for $35-50...

Edited by Kerrie on 31 May 2012 at 3:14pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 123 of 236
01 June 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
blackdahlia wrote:

And FYI I'm drooling over your new HP blu rays. Enjoy them!

You know, it wasn't that expensive. I think it was like $55 USD shipped, which probably isn't a whole lot more expensive than buying a blu-ray set here.

You could always come over and we could do a potter-a-thon. =)

Edited by Kerrie on 01 June 2012 at 2:34am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 124 of 236
01 June 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
The advanced Assimil definitely helps with reading - a lot of it uses the passé simple,
and there is a fair amount of the other literary tenses. These tenses almost look
'normal' to me now. It's also slower going than the With Ease books - the lessons are
denser, and there's much more to take in with each.

I haven't looked at the Using French book yet, since I still have about twenty lessons left of French with Ease, but I starting doing the Using Spanish the other day, and it seems like the lessons have a LOT more substance to them, so I assume the French is similar. I am looking forward to finishing French with Ease and starting Using French.

I had been planning to go back to Italian with Ease once I was finished with the French, but if I am going to continue doing Assimil for both Spanish and French for a few more months, I don't know if I'll add Italian back into the mix yet.

It's going to be harder for me once school is out for my kids next week, as well. I work from home, and I already plan to be up around 4am every morning to get a few hours of work done before they get up, but I have no idea how much language time I will have with them being home all day every day.

I may end up having a mini language school over the summer. My friend's daughter and I are going to be learning German together, and I've already told my kids I am going to teach them Spanish, although I have no idea how well that will work. (I'm really not sure the best way to approach it with nine year olds. Any ideas?) Plus, I'm probably going to be teaching my friend's mom English (she's Bosnian), and my friend and I might work on Turkish together.

So I guess we will see what the next few months brings. I know for certain that Spanish and French studies will continue daily, and that German will probably be a big focus over the summer. I want to get back into Italian, too, though. I miss it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 125 of 236
01 June 2012 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
I've already told my kids I am going to teach them Spanish, although I have no idea how well that will work. (I'm really not sure the best way to approach it with nine year olds. Any ideas?)
at their age having fun in Spanish works even better than for adults :) get some movies, cartoons, music and comic books. you may also want to watch Destinos with them, no idea how suitable it is for kids tho. and other fun materials for adults like perhaps also Assimil.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 126 of 236
01 June 2012 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
I've already told my kids I am going to teach them Spanish, although I have no idea how well that will work. (I'm really not sure the best way to approach it with nine year olds. Any ideas?)
at their age having fun in Spanish works even better than for adults :) get some movies, cartoons, music and comic books. you may also want to watch Destinos with them, no idea how suitable it is for kids tho. and other fun materials for adults like perhaps also Assimil.

We do a lot of karaoke in Croatian around here, so we could do that in Spanish, too. Do you know anywhere to find cartoon type things online? I'm sure there's stuff on youtube (any suggestions?) but I have never watched like kinda stuff, so I wouldn't know what to look for.

I think they're old enough to follow (in short bits) Michel Thomas and Assimil, especially if they are really interested in learning. (Anna is, Christa's not so much - at least not yet.) I have some kids music in Spanish I got last summer that I think will be good for them. I think it's like nursery rhyme songs, and they have a Spanish and English version of the song.

EDIT: We have Rosetta Stone at the library.. and Livemocha.. I think some interactive computer stuff will be fun for them, too. =)

Edited by Kerrie on 01 June 2012 at 9:09pm

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4840 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 127 of 236
01 June 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Spanish dubbing of American cartoons and anime is usually pretty good. I still know all the words to the pokemon theme song... Disney is good too. The songs from Little Mermaid are rendered wonderfully into "Latin" Spanish (Mexican, as far as I remember).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 128 of 236
02 June 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Well, I have my updated list over here, but as of June 1, this is what I've accomplished for my Super Challenges.

Spanish Super Duper Challenge

movies, tv shows
1.   La Sirenita (The Little Mermaid), film, finished May 17, 2012
2.   Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal, film, finished May 19, 2012
3.   Stargate SG1, (The Torment of Tantalus) (The Nox), subs & dubs, finished May 27, 2012
4.   Stargate SG1, (Fire and Water) (Hathor), subs & dubs, finished May 27, 2012
5.   Stargate SG1, (Cor-Ai) (Singularity), subs & dubs, finished May 28, 2012

books:
1. (3 more chapters left of Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal)

writings:
1. Assimil Using Spanish (Advanced) Lesson 1, copied, May 31, 2012
2. Assimil Using Spanish (Advanced) Lesson 2, copied, June 1, 201

French Super Duper Challenge

audiobooks, movies, TV shows:
1. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, audiobook, finished May 8, 2012
6. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, film, finished May 10, 2012
7. Harry Potter à L'École des Sorciers, film, finished May 16, 2012
8. Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets, film subs, finished May 19, 2012
9. Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets, film audio, finished May 19, 2012
10. Stargate SG1 Children of the Gods, TV subs, finished May 20, 2012
11 Stargate SG1 (Emancipation), FR subs, then FR audio & subs, finished May 21, 2012
12. Harry Potter et le Prisionnier d'Azkaban, film subs, finished May 23, 2012

writings:
1.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 75, copied, May 30, 2012
2.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 76, copied, May 30, 2012
3.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 78, copied May 31, 2012
4.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 79, copied May 31, 2012
5.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 80, copied June 1, 2012
6.   Assimil French with Ease Lesson 81, copied June 1, 2012

German Super Duper Challenge

writings:
1.   Assimil German with Ease Lesson 44, copied, May 31, 2012

Right now, I am finishing Assimil French with Ease and working through German with Ease, so most of my writing will be from that, since I copy each lesson by hand. I find that I learn better through writing and copying things, anyways. I already have a notebook full of French and two from Spanish, but most of that is from before. Also, I will stop counting Assimil as my writing once I get to 50. At that point, I will only count writings that I have produced myself.

I also got my Harry Potter Bluray Disc Set in the mail this week from the UK. It has 10-15 audio tracks per movie, and 25-30 subtitle tracks. I anticipate I will be having a lot of fun with it. They have audio and subs in Dutch, Swedish and Catalan for most of the movies - all three of which are on my long-term hit list..

Speaking of Harry, my friend's daughter (the one I am learning German with this summer) is over for the night, and all the girls are insisting I come watch the movie with them. The first one, which I have watched four times in the past month. haha

Hopefully June will be even more productive for me. This challenge has really motivated me a lot!

This discussion contains 236 messages over 30 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version